Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 01-05-2008, 11:39 PM   #111
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts
Default Re: Dommination of FI cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Zack...Todd is right on his assessment about what you want to accomplish. The truth is that all of those old farts, which I can include myself, have paid the price throughout the years on this sport. My recommendation is that if you want to be in the spotlight, there is a price to pay. However, you do not want to do so, therefore, either build a Stocker, or stay in bracket racing. Also, Tom Turner is one of the many racers that has paid the price in the sport and has a level head...he was already racing before your daddy planned in bringing you in to this world!!! In addition, who said you had to spend $45K to be competitive???

I watched Jody Lang take baby steps from bracket to Stock, and later Super Stock...he paid the price and been successful. Do you think that you can go and race in Stock Eliminator in bracket mode and become a champion in a matter of a couple of races???? That to me is total arrogance on your part...like the adage says...grow up...smell the roses and either race with the big dogs, or stay in the porch.
And use English.Stop speaking in tongues.

Ed F.
NHRA #1945
IHRA #14

PS: Before you blast me note that I've had moderate success with a $12,000 car with a top 10 in Div.1 in 2006 (NHRA) and 2007 (IHRA).So it doesn't take $20,00-$50,000 car to do it.I also use a 1999 Dodge Dakota and 18' enclosed trailer,no motor home-stacker for me.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:07 AM   #112
Ed Hohenberg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just fell into this thread accidentally (since I've been out of this stuff for a while so I don't frequent the S/SS forums anymore). I haven't followed NHRA or IHRA S/SS rule changes either since I retired, but got excited when I found out in this thread the FI classes are being dropped for 2008. Being segregated from the traditional stock classes and put into a bastard child FI class offended me, so much so that it prompted my move into SS, where I got my *** kicked quickly, and decided it was better to just retire than cut up my car and sink a whole other fortune into it for SS. So I took my knowledge of EFI and went into tuning the ridiculously complicated OEM EFI systems for others. I can assure the OP that there is no magic HP key in the EFI programming. And it's a hell of a lot more difficult than tuning a carb.

As one of the earliest EFI guys in Stock, who struggled for years to figure out the technology, and claw my way to the basic performance standard, forcing me into a EFI class was like a slap in the face to me.

Like many others, I couldn't resist commenting here. The argument is old, and doesn't seem to change. For fun, I dug up an old post I made in November 2000 during a similar argument when EFI classes were first implemented. Posted in its entirety below:

As one of the early efi guys in stock, I have some comments.

When I first started running my Ford efi car in stock back in the late '80s, everyone laughed at me. Sure the car got 20 instant hp from NHRA (God knows why?), and it was slow and embarrassing as I fought with the electronics, but slowly and eventually the car got faster as I figured it out, improved control systems became available, and the NHRA factor got more reasonable. Sure, lots of others have figured it out well too since, and run fast enough now that the HP probably needs another 5 (or 10 for the Cobras), but that's what the new NHRA factoring system should do.

When guys started running the GM efi cars, they never had to deal with a high initial HP factor, and had the advantage of factory involvement (unlike Ford), newer electronic controls, and a better developed knowledge base to start with. So the GM efi cars got quick, real quick. And the NHRA factors started going up. They just haven't gone up enough yet. Again, that's what the new NHRA factoring system should do.

I have to think back about the A fuelers in TAD. They were laughed at too, but a few diehard guys worked hard, figured them out, then started going really quick. Then all the alcohol guys whined, and NHRA stepped in to adjust the A/F factors, and the playing field leveled out.

It's going to happen again in S/SS too, just give it a chance. NHRA used to adjust S/SS factors several times a year, but the system wasn't consistent. So they stopped adjustments for a long time (when was the last refactoring, does anyone remember?) while they worked on developing a better system. In the mean time, the underfactored cars flew, and there was much frustration with the overfactored or properly factored racers.

It's got nothing to do with EFI vs CARBS, and/or a need for separate classes. It's got everything to do with PROPER HP FACTORS! Anyone who doesn't understand that, or chooses not to, can stick their head back in the sand, and quietly go the way of the old Hudson Hornet racers in Stock. The future is not going away. Live with it.

As for "they some how manage to find 2-3 tenths", I can remember real well when Corda "mysteriously" picked up 2 tenths in his old Max Wedge, and beat (then A/SA record holder) Mosbek's 426 in a heads up elimination round at Brainerd several years ago. He's been doing that since long before EFI. So have plenty of others.

In another 10 years, the EFI guys will probably be complaining about the hybrid guys going too fast.....

5010 SS
Ed Hohenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:14 AM   #113
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I recently had an email discussion with somebody in Finnland. I noticed in one of the links he provided me there were pictures of various Stock and Superstock vehicles; most which are recognizable to many of us as they once were raced in the USA. The recognizable ones are so because they were, at least previously, the fastes of the breed here in the USA. Looking at the dial-ins posted on the windows I noticed the ET's were WAY off base (slower, much slower) than what you would expect here in the USA for a comprable field. I asked what the track and weather was like. Sounded like a good day in Englishtown to me. All the cars seem capable of big wheelies so traction doesn't appear to be an issue. I didn't want to insult them but I finally had to ask, why are these cars all so slow? His response: a short season and lack of heads up runs.
I keep saying this, if you don't promote heads up runs, the sport will die! Throw 'em all in the mix and let the weak leave and the strong will survive. Like Tom Turner just posted, nothing says this is supposed to be fair or easy. I'd like to see the rules stipulate if you weigh enough for the next lower class then that's were you will race. That or 100# max over minimum; either one would make me happy. That would make it harder to avoid the AHFS. Am I right or wrong? Combine the sticks and auto's also. Bring some competitive blood to the sport and the AHFS will get triggered quite regularly, right? And this comes from a SS/H racer that is only .700 under at present and that's nothing to get excited about in SS/HA!
Old 01-06-2008, 03:49 AM   #114
STK 1045

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Zach, Enough's emough. Now go to your room. Let me get this straight; you now want NHRA to change the rules, that have been in effect for as long as I can remember, so as to allow you to race Stock Eliminator on your limited budget (obviously less than $45,000). Boy isn't it just like Generation X, or Y, or Z, for that matter try to change the rules in an attempt to stack the deck without the customary hard work, sacrifice, perserverence, and of course, at least $45,000 in their pocket that it takes to go fast (according to Zach). No offense Zach but I honestly thought you were trying to, as you put it, open our minds, but in effect, you do nothing but plead your own case as to how the rules should be changed to suit you, and of course, your limited budget. I'll leave you to Tom Turner (whoever he is). Have fun boys. I certainly hope these posts haven't cut into my 15 minutes................... Frank Hamer Jr.
STK 1045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:57 AM   #115
zach craig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Dommination of FI cars.

I am sorry if i offended eny one in eny way. I no that with more heads up races car counts will hit the craper. Not 2 meny guys want 2 dump big bucks in a car just so they can conpeat. I am one of thim at this point. Not that my family n team does not have the cash the brains or the tallent. Just 4 info we have ben racing s/c and brackets 4 a few years now with some success. And no i am not a cancer looking 4 the spotlight i do that with what i have. I just like no box racing over electronics that is all. Good luck 2 all in the 2008 racing season
zach craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:08 AM   #116
STK 1045

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jack, Thanks for the warm welcome. I actually ran a J/SA 79 Aspen on and off for about 4 years in Division 1. Oh I know how the game is played, and of course, the costs. But you got to admit, I'm bringing one mean mother of a gun to the fight. I stand corrected, Richard Todd and Tommy Baird ran the fastest side by side Stocker run in NHRA history I think it was either 2000 or 2001. Richard Todd went 10.12, Tommy Baird went 10.13. Enjoy and see you at the races. Frank Hamer Jr.
STK 1045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:39 AM   #117
Daran Summerton

Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Since the number of classes in Stock have been cut in half, does that mean the class winners receive double the purse???????
Why doesn't NHRA post the payout at any events to include class?????

I can say at a div. race last year I got lucky 5 times. Care to take a guess at my purse????? A whooping $150 !!!!

I support the classes combining but still have not heard any new NHRA Purse POSTINGS !!!!!!! Where is the incentive ???

P.S. At the previously mentioned divisional, I could not even run the index
Daran Summerton is offline   Reply With Quote