HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > .90 Heads Up Class Associations > TNT Hot Rod Super Series

Old 09-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
Ted Barnes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Gary Kerl wins Saturday; Rain takes Sunday in TNTSS @ Cayuga

Moves Kerl into the top five in championship points chase!

Powered by REVS Full Throttle Powersports, the Joe’s Transmission TNT Super Series returned to Cayuga Dragway at Toronto Motorsports Park for the Labour Day weekend event. Saturday night’s winner was Williamsville, New York's Gary Kerl while Mother Nature shut things down on Sunday after round one.

Saturday August 31 - Results
Kerl qualified 10th and marched through the field one by one, starting with Brad Redford where a starting line advantage allowed Kerl to coast through at 10.956. Then when Mark Herbold broke, Kerl got a bye in round two and ran it out to a .016 10.898 package for good measure.

Up next was Tom Coonly. Kerl had the advantage off the line and ran 10.926 pushing Coonly under to 10.898. Then a natural bye in the semi's set Kerl up for the final.

There he met up with Ted Barnes in a re-match of last year's Labour Day weekend Saturday night final round. This time, Kerl emerged the winner as he was better on both ends of the racetrack (.017 to a .026 and 10.911 to 10.935). Barnes simply could not catch him.

"This series is made up of great guys," commented Kerl after the win. "Any of them can win at any time. My Scott Shafiroff 434 performed great and that sure helps to go rounds against the top competitors in the TNT Super Series."

Kerl was quick to comment that TNTSS Operations Director, Ted Barnes (who he just defeated) and Competition Director, Joe Boniferro do a great job running the series.

"I want to thank my wife, Carolyn for her support as well as my brother Dennis and sons Greg and Jeff for all they do. I also want to thank all the racers - especially Mo Passero's and others' special refreshments - for all they do to make the track experience fun. And of course my sponsors Greg Kerl Gary Kerl - photog Darwin KentAutomotive, Casey's Tavern, The Steer and Lake Effect Restaurants. And I can't forget to thank REVS Full Throttle Powersports for presenting today's race."

With many of the top contenders out early, this event shook up the TNTSS championship points moving both Kerl and Barnes into the top five heading into the final weekend of the season.

Specialty Awards - August 31
•Hoosier Tire Canada $100 certificate - Number One Qualifier
◦Tom Coonly (Blasdell, NY) with a 10.902
•J&S Collision $50 - Closest to the Index (1st Round Loser)
◦Drew Buchner (Aylmer, Ontario) with a 10.907

September 1 - Results
After 2 rounds of qualifying and first round eliminations were completed, the skies opened up and the event was called for the day. According to the TNTSS rulebook, because first round was complete, the event ends with the purse money split between the drivers remaining and round points awarded.

Specialty Awards - September 1
•Hoosier Tire Canada $100 certificate - Number One Qualifier
◦JJ Jablonski (West Seneca, NY) with a 10.902
•J&S Collision $50 - Closest to the Index (1st Round Loser)
◦Sam LoVetro Jr (Webster, NY) with a 10.910

The Joe's Transmission TNT Super Series takes a week off then heads into New York state on September 13-15 for a three-race weekend to end the 2013 season. Visit http://www.tntsuperseries.com for event locations and all you need to know about the popular 10.90 sportsman drag racing series.