HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 08-15-2019, 08:59 AM   #21
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,640 Times in 507 Posts
Default Re: Indy Teardown Warning

I don't see where this will have any effect on the super stock class. Super stock is allowed almost any head modifications, porting, welding, chamber modifications. The only real thing to check on a super stock head is the runner and chamber volumes and valve size and angle. Maybe the casting number.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #22
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Liked 13,006 Times in 1,223 Posts
Red face Re: Indy Teardown Warning

Here is another question I have and some more thoughts... I would like everyone's input. If your cylinder is scanned and found to be illegal, what will the penalty be. Also, after the penalty is served how with they verify you have corrected the issue. In the past when you have an illegal part, and once you have served your time you have to show your division tech director that you have corrected the issue. Will NHRA issue scanners to all divisions, at $60,000 a pop its hard to believe NHRA will equip each division their own scanner.

From what here, the 2008 and newer combos are going to be scanned as they have all late model heads scanned and are ready to compare them to their collected data. Will they take into account for core shift or worn out molds that will change over time?

I am all for keeping a fair playing field, but be careful what you wish for, the old combo's will probably be next starting with all the Edelbrock replacement heads. And as we all know most combos have done some type of head work, lets not kid ourselves, will all know this. The rule says no modifications to the heads expect where noted. But when you are in teardown the only thing they are concerned with is grinding marks and volume, now that's all going to change it seems.

My thoughts on this are mixed, yeah I want there to be a fair playing field, but in the middle of the season and right before Indy (the only real place you get torn down) the game has changed. The racers I feel for, and I guess I am included and it probably includes most racers running a 2008 and newer combos, is we don't do our own engines and rely on the engine builder. With that said we are responsible for our combos and have to deal with the consequences
Ken Miele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #23
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Indy Teardown Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fuller View Post
From what I have been told NHRA is trying to bring things back under control based on a incident that happened in the recent past. Wesley will lead in this endeavor.
I worked with Wesley back in the early 70's and found him to be one of the best. He was tough but fair. I consider it an honor to have been with him in the tear down barn at Gainesville.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:05 PM   #24
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Indy Teardown Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by james schaechter View Post
Wow you really don’t understand class racing...
WOW ! You really nailed your response right on the money to this one James.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #25
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,680 Times in 852 Posts

Well, based on the number of entries for Indy nobody is flinching....we shall see if that changes as Bowling Green concludes. Regardless of the digitized master data there would be some sort of tolerance for items Ken brings up. Question is how subjective is that tolerance?
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:53 PM   #26
Mike Fuller

Liked 163 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
I worked with Wesley back in the early 70's and found him to be one of the best. He was tough but fair. I consider it an honor to have been with him in the tear down barn at Gainesville.
Wesley was on the tech team when I set the record in C/SA in 1992. He was just as you described "tough but fair".
Old 08-15-2019, 02:01 PM   #27
novassdude

Liked 133 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Miele View Post
My thoughts on this are mixed, yeah I want there to be a fair playing field, but in the middle of the season and right before Indy (the only real place you get torn down) the game has changed. The racers I feel for, and I guess I am included and it probably includes most racers running a 2008 and newer combos, is we don't do our own engines and rely on the engine builder. With that said we are responsible for our combos and have to deal with the consequences
Here is my take on this if you are buying a "stock" engine where very little modifications are allowed and paying $25000 you know very well they are doing something extra. You want a engine that will pass tech (in its current form) not necessarily a legal to the letter of the law engine.

Good news is since modifying the head and intake is not allowed. all you need to do is pick up a set of original heads and intake and bolt them on since modifications were never allowed it shouldn't slow down much.

FYI the term "you" means all people buying there power not just Ken.

I applaud NHRA for doing this it should have been done long ago the technology has been there. The price has probably just came down. It may take time for them to get to some of the hard to find odd combinations. But I would bet they have the popular combinations scanned already.
novassdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:12 PM   #28
Detroit Bob

Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Hmmmm stock heads, stock valve springs, stock camshaft profile......In stock eliminator, what a concept!
Old 08-15-2019, 02:39 PM   #29
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Liked 13,006 Times in 1,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by novassdude View Post
The price has probably just came down.
I don't see the price coming down as it will cost thousand to fix if you are not in complacence with there scan. And with all do respect you do not take into account core shift. Thousand of the heads that are in production can not possible be all the same.

If you think this will bring more people back to Stock, your are sadly mistaken. They take away tech at nationals to streamline the races because NHRA does not have the personnel. They shorten the races for the sportsman because they don't have the personnel. We can not park on Monday the week of Indy because they don't have the personnel. Many races they are short handed, I don't understand where the NHRA brass has come up the the resources and funds to push this agenda in Stock. I was told there will be 40 cars torn down at Indy and they may be torn down during qualifying. The more I here about what they are doing the more bizarre it gets.

Be careful what you wish for, you may not like it. Stock is just the name of the Class, it has little to do with the meaning. Every single car in Stock can be sited for an infraction of the rules, its all up to the tech official discretion.... is this the road you really want to go down.
Ken Miele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #30
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts

Wesley is tough but fair. The first time I meet him was at Baytown with my ex-66 Chevy II. I had called him previously and asked a lot of questions as to be legal. I pull into the tech area and walk up to Wesley introduce myself and he says real nice car Ed wrong trim on the trunk don’t bring it back like that again. Yes sir!

Last edited by Ed Carpenter; 08-15-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote