HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 12-14-2007, 10:32 PM   #1
Gale Forse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Dommination of FI cars.

With the ability of tuning FI cars to go as fast as you want with A key board. How much affect will this have on future car counts when traditional cars can not compete any more.
Gale Forse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:39 PM   #2
Speedracer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Dommination of FI cars.

Very soon, I believe you will see another new rule that Fuel Injection is allowed on traditional cars that came with a carburetor.That will put that theory of yours to a rest.There is nothing STOCK about Super Stock or Stock anymore.I still think a Nitrous carbureted car can outrun a traditional fuel injected car though.

Just edited......

Upon reading the new 2008 rulebook,I'm not so sure that you have to run a carburetor in Super Stock.It looks like the CARBURETOR section is missing.Its still there for Stock,but it just might now be legal to run FUEL INJECTION instead of a carburetor.If its not legal now,I'm sure it will be soon.Even the Pro Stock section says CARBURETOR under the engine section,but not SUPER STOCK.

Last edited by Speedracer; 12-14-2007 at 11:36 PM.
Speedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:04 AM   #3
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Stock rules take precedence over SS rules unless specified as an allowable difference.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:12 AM   #4
Speedracer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Dommination of FI cars.

Didn't some guy run a 400 block instead of a 440 and that was okay?

How about a 1968 Fuel Injected Pop-Up Piston 440 Dodge?
I bet that would be a killer combo!

Last edited by Speedracer; 12-15-2007 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:40 AM   #5
Bruce Witherspoon

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Forse View Post
With the ability of tuning FI cars to go as fast as you want with A key board. How much affect will this have on future car counts when traditional cars can not compete any more.
Gale, Can I pose a question to you? Help me understand how you achieve all of this extra horsepower from A key stroke. I've been working on that one for awhile and I just can't seem to grasp it?
If it was as simple as you say, don't you thinks that everyone who had an injected vehicle would be fast? It appears that from all of the qualifying sheets that I have seen that that isn't the case.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:06 AM   #6
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

I put together an LT-1 fuel injected Firebird and raced it for a little over a year. I built the engine myself with all very good parts. I never took the car or engine to a dyno session and tuned it myself on the racetrack learnig as I went along. I made some good runs but far from what the better cars can run. I ran a best of -.75 with the car 200lbs heavy for the class. Anyone who thinks a F.I. car is easy or will dominate is mistaken. Yes they are fast when they are working well but no faster or more consistant or predictable than some of the cars they will be lining up with in 2008. I sold my car in favor of something more "user friendly". Hopefully the new owner will do well with it and his first stop planned was a chassis dyno session with friends who are much more savy than me on the tuning of one of these cars.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:25 AM   #7
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

I would rather race than argue about what will be on this matter, but Bruce I think Gale Forse is the only "key Stroke" on this thread.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:10 AM   #8
Dave Ribeiro
VIP Member

Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Cool Re: Dommination of FI cars.

Gale and Jim,

You are both right and FI will domminate as they want, until NHRA properly factors those motors..I think by mid-year racers will see just how much faster they really are over carbs...
Bruce, you are right they are not easy..But do have a big advantage over carbs... Anyway, time will tell and its not just the Chevies,but the 302 ci fords are a Hot little piece..... The bottom line is they will Domminate as they please, all the class they are in........2008 will be a very interesting year.. I think it won't be long before its sticks/auto's together, we will see in 2009..
I do think it will make for some good heads-up and class racing for a little while...
" Happy Holidays" Dave...1033/stock
Old 12-15-2007, 10:17 AM   #9
Gary Smith

Liked 67 Times in 24 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Dommination of FI cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Forse View Post
The last I checked, keystrokes replaced jetting, powervavles, squirters, diaphrams, and other legal carburetor changes in FI. You can dump as little or as much fuel into a 55mm hole, just as long as the hole isn't smaller or bigger than 55mm (or whatever came on the engine). If I recall, I thought carb cars can use an O2 sensor system which pretty much makes the tuning game even. But if there's a "keystroke combo" that increases horsepower, please pass it on!!!
Gary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:17 AM   #10
Speedracer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Come to think of it,I sure have seen a lot of carburetors for sale lately.Some might want to consider a three speed powerglide trans.

Last edited by Speedracer; 12-15-2007 at 11:24 AM.