Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-10-2018, 06:34 AM   #21
joespanova

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Default Re: Sad that this is happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340 Six Pack View Post
"The average 60 year old vividly remembers the beginning years of Pro Stock..."

I am that guy, and I do! The only thing resembling that excitement, interest, and energy in today's racing is FS.
Exactly , and make that FS/XX. I had a thread on this a couple weeks ago.......
I USED to be , a big Pro Stock fan.......................not any more. Not when it became the "all Camaro" show.
More than that , it "mirrors" the fuel teams in the respect that no longer is the driver the engine builder , tuner.
That , to me , is a turnoff.
joespanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:52 AM   #22
fredjohnston

Liked 55 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarysZ24 View Post
I just hope before this season ends, Erica and Jeg Jr., Jason, Greg, and Bo, plus Drew and Vincent, Deric, Chris, Alex, & Matt, all rain on Tanner's parade before he goes over to Nascar! Hopefully the last two races will go better for those who're in the opposite lane to Tanner, than Dallas did. Moreover, I still want to see Erica give Tanner a parting shot (i.e., trip to his trailer w/o a Wally in hand). I know she can do it, and I'll be rooting for Erica, and all the above mentioned guys the remainder of the season!
Tell us how you really feel! I don't see a thing wrong with Tanner. He is good for the class. I hope he runs the field at the next three races.
fredjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #23
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Everything evolves including drag racing. Pro stock is no different. In the quest for more power better aero and faster ET the racers do what they always do. Push the envelope. This is what racing is all about. Pro stock is as good as it as ever been. This year there have been more winners than ever. Several first time winners. Really close races where the driver was the deciding factor with the reaction time. I know some don’t like that it’s mostly a one brand class now and that is probably not healthy for the class. If you like car racing and close competition then Pro Stock gives you all of that. I have been racing for over 40 years and I enjoy it as much as I ever did. The classes will never go back to what they used to be.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:49 AM   #24
GTS340

Liked 1,068 Times in 334 Posts

Looks like G.M., Ford and Mopar no longer have any interest in Pro-Stock as they did. Surely Mopar and Ford have none. An automotive sport should have way more attention to this. Factory stock, as I said two near years ago will take over this part of NHRA's focus. Not every fan wants to watch 16 Camaros go at it. I'm guessing you'll see Bo and Drew driving Factory Stock next year.
GTS340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #25
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 398 Times in 189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Don View Post
You may see FS in some form or another take the place of Pro Stock. You already have the big 3 involved and big name drivers competing.
I've been saying this since the factory stock cars hit the track. Next year will be the end of Pro Stock and the NHRA will reboot for 2020, the 50th anniversary of the class.
1320racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #26
John Kissel

Liked 232 Times in 94 Posts

I think the 1st P/S show I saw was the Summernationals at York U.S.30 in July 1970.I was working alot and just didn't have much time to get to the track. That was impressive to see all of the cars and crews I had read about, and I learned the quick way to change gears in a Dana 60 from watching the Sox&Martin crew. Not much longer than it took to change slicks.Next impressive show was at a wed. night P/S at e-town after the Summernats. and the sound of Butch Leals' 16 plug beast crossing the finish line as he won, I will never forget.Hope someone can straighten this mess out. John Kissel K242
John Kissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #27
George Fitzpatrick

Liked 98 Times in 23 Posts

With all the legal issues they had with PS truck they won’t discontinue the class. They spoke about maybe incorporating Carb pro mod’s big cube motor with current PS tire size, which sounds like a Band-Aid to me.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #28
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1legjerry View Post
I still think the FS motors in Stock body but with a pro stock chassis is the way to go. Do away with the aero bodies and use factory built NHRA sealed motors. They could start by transitioning into the motors first for a year or two while they develop the chassis for the stock body.
I was thinking something along the same lines but a slight twist on the engine.

I would like to see that the outside dimensions of the OEM engines be used, but the racer can run any bore / stroke combo inside.

Then use a cubic inch to weight ratio.

I do believe the bodies should follow factory body panel templates so the shape of the car is still relevant to the spectator.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:53 PM   #29
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,678 Times in 850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Fitzpatrick View Post
With all the legal issues they had with PS truck they won’t discontinue the class. They spoke about maybe incorporating Carb pro mod’s big cube motor with current PS tire size, which sounds like a Band-Aid to me.
Suspect they have a bigger legal department now and can demonstrate things they've done to "improve" the class and yet they have a hard time filling the class, and with PS garnering less TV time they will argue they are losing $ on the class, hence the need for a 'refresh' with mountain motors, etc. Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic comes to mind.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:49 PM   #30
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 197 Times in 78 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24
Smile Re: Sad that this is happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredjohnston View Post
Tell us how you really feel! I don't see a thing wrong with Tanner. He is good for the class. I hope he runs the field at the next three races.
Tanner reminds me of a guy named Eric that I raced against in 1981. He came up to Bandimere Speedway with his Nova, and proclaimed to some other racers he was going to mow down the field and take the Street Eliminator seasonal championship. a racing bud of mine came and told me that, and I approached Eric and asked him if he in fact said that, and he admitted he did. I told him that in order to be the champ he was going to have to get past me (since I was in 1st place at that time). He said "we can settle this in the first round", to which I replied "I'll be there, you make sure you're there"! We lined up, we raced, and I sent him packing afterwards! I didn't win the whole race that day, but I didn't care, I beat him, and stayed in 1st place from June to August. Sadly I had a cylinder head go bad on me, and I missed a race or two, and when I got back to racing, I lost in the first round that 1st time back. He had the psychological advantage over the rest of the field, but not me. He was arrogant (similar to how Tanner is/was against Erica and (I believe) Alex), and I get amped up to race people like that! The last race of the season all I had to do was win one round that he lost, and I'd pass him up, so I tried to line up next to him, and every time I did, he pulled his car out. After doing that a few times, the tower got wind of it, and pulled cars out of one line, and laddered us so I could only race him in the finals. Sadly I went red by -.011 to the guy that finished 3rd, and Eric ended up winning the race and the track championship after-all.

Eric may have won the battle, but the war was the Division 5 ET Finals, and he didn't do so good there, losing in the 2nd round at that race in Marion, SD. I however, ended up having the best laugh, because I won the race and became the 1981 Division Five Street Eliminator Champion, and all he could do was watch! I will also thank some of the team members of other tracks, who made the comment to one of my teammates, "what's he doing out there with that car"? I knew good and well they weren't talking about my car, they were talking about me after cutting three straight .023rt's in rnd's 1-3. That gave me even more mojo to hit a pair of .051rt's in the semi's and the final to win, and an "Elton John" "I'm Still Standing" moment on the starting line with John Bandimere Jr., and Darrell Zimmerman (Division Five Director)!

I'm hoping that Erica or Jeg or any of the others with a mathematical chance to catch him will and have such a moment as a send off to his future Nascar career, and I also hope Alex will get him back on the track as well! As one of my friends says, "he who laughs last, laughs best", and I hope when one of them passes him, and/or beats him in eliminations like Greg, Jeg, Matt, and Deric had a lucrative chance at doing last wknd., in Dallas, they will enjoy their "I'm Still Standing" moment too!
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote