HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: Should roller rockers be allowed on all stockers?
Yes 113 53.81%
No 97 46.19%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #11
Bill Grubbs

Liked 454 Times in 60 Posts
Default Re: Roller Rockers in Stock

I think we are talking about roller rockers vice OE rockers, not roller lifters vice flat tappet. However, I still feel the same...QUIT CHANGING THE RULES...or go Super Stock racing!
Bill Grubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:51 PM   #12
Patrick Kelliher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When they let the valve job rule go, not much was mentioned about it. Mention roller rockers and suddenly we are becoming Super Stockers. If people were suggesting allowing any ratio, I would agree, but there is a negligible performance improvement going to rollers of the same ratio. IHRA has already gone this way, as far as I can tell there hasn't been a drastic drop in ETs as a result.
Patrick Kelliher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:17 AM   #13
Bill Grubbs

Liked 454 Times in 60 Posts

We cannot change the past (unless your into revisionist history), but we can affect the future...STOP THE RULE CHANGES...or go race Super (Pro) StocK, or bracket race with no rules!
Bill Grubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #14
gofastorgohome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Re: Roller Rockers in Stock

This poll should be in the competition member section. If you don't have a $15,000+ engine to blow up and oil the track delaying everybodys racing, you shouldn't vote in this poll. The train left years ago as far as what was stock.
gofastorgohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:47 AM   #15
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastorgohome View Post
This poll should be in the competition member section. If you don't have a $15,000+ engine to blow up and oil the track delaying everybodys racing, you shouldn't vote in this poll. The train left years ago as far as what was stock.
Great point!
Old 05-26-2008, 08:05 AM   #16
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

No on roller rockers, get a cam with a softer ramp and you will reduce the breakage. there are other ways to keep the rockers breaking besides using Jessel rockers. Besides Jeff, you race super stock you dont have a dog in this fight anymore. I wouldn't think it would matter to you.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:56 AM   #17
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
. . . we put the Holroyd stuff on . . .
Wow. Where's my Holroyd stuff???
Dwight Southerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:58 PM   #18
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hoven View Post
No on roller rockers, get a cam with a softer ramp and you will reduce the breakage. there are other ways to keep the rockers breaking besides using Jessel rockers. Besides Jeff, you race super stock you dont have a dog in this fight anymore. I wouldn't think it would matter to you.

Still have a Stock number and am involved with several Stockers, including another '70 AMX with my old engine. And I do agree, with a softer ramp you will lessen the breakage. But then again, you will go slower. That's based on my experience anyways.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:23 PM   #19
Joe DeMarzo

Liked 114 Times in 9 Posts

No roller rockers, I have Holyrod stuff and a great engine builder, rev that monster to 8,000 in B/SA and no breakage (yet). We had roughly 20 A-B-C cars over the weekend at a D-1 race and did not hear of one broken rocker on the big blocks,(some dead batteries) lol. Leave stock alone and find the solution to your the problem.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:11 PM   #20
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,453 Times in 541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hoven View Post
Todd, first at all, there has been aggresive ramps on Stocker cams since day one, even when the rules were more restrictive. Dwell lobes have been available since day one. The aggresiveness of the ramp is limited and dictated by the lifter size.

Who said people are asking for Jesel rockers??? What people are asking is for your standard stud/roller rocker type aluminum rockers. The problem with current rocker arms is that the replacement parts are junk. To save money, made of inferior materials and processes, made overseas, by companies run by accountants ( with the exeption of Julie Jordan ) and not engineers.

I know this for a fact since I have done lots of metallurgy analysis on current replacement and early OEM rockers arms and there is a big difference. I have applied all kinds of coatings and aerospace treatments to stamped rocker arms; they still fail because the inferior materials used in the stamping process does not allow for a uniform metal thickness in the rocker arm, especially in the pushrod cup area, which happens to be the weak spot. You do not need to have big spring pressures to have a replacement stamped rocker arm fail; I have seen them fail with as little as 125 lbs seat pressure.

The rocker arms sold by Holroyd, are heavy duty pieces design for truck and industrail engine applications. Prior to the Holroyd parts, many racers were also experiencing rocker arm failures, including small block Chevies, AMC's, Oldsmobiles and other makes.

Like Jeff, I know of many racers looking for old OEM rocker arms at wrecking yards. By the way, your comment about Jeff Lee not having a say was out of line. Jeff spent lots of money on his AMX while racing in Stock eliminator, and probably one of the reasons why he switched to Super Stock was due to having engine failures caused by rocker arms. Therefore, he has the right to share his opinion on this matter.

Last edited by SSDiv6; 05-26-2008 at 02:18 PM.
SSDiv6 is online now   Reply With Quote