HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 06-24-2018, 11:15 PM   #461
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts
Default Re: H-I-J '76 Nova re-fit.

I forgot to add I used a bright colored heavy duty extension cord SO EVERYBODY CAN SEE IT AND NOT BE TRIPPING OVER IT and just cut both plugs off one end is attached to the charger and the other end has the Anderson connector---FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:04 AM   #462
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FED 387 View Post
I forgot to add I used a bright colored heavy duty extension cord SO EVERYBODY CAN SEE IT AND NOT BE TRIPPING OVER IT and just cut both plugs off one end is attached to the charger and the other end has the Anderson connector---FED 387
I thought about putting these down by the bumper but I figured I gotta leave some trick ideas for the next one.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-97550/overview/
Old 06-25-2018, 10:29 AM   #463
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts

let me look i used the same set up might still have the parts laying around--will sell them cheap- what I did i the beginning was fasten the females right on to the battery in the trunk then plugged them in--- those are standard welding plugs get them at any welding supply house for probably a lot less than Moroso/Summit/Jegs will sell them for
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:21 PM   #464
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Got a few parts in this week but been super busy at work so couldn't get in the shop. We'll be at it again this weekend, last one for a few weeks though as next weekend the motorhome comes out of storage for some work then we're heading to Bristol for a couple weeks.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:30 PM   #465
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

It's the small things that are so time consuming. built some plug wires and made a few more battery cables, figured I would throw the underhood harness in but as usual nothing is as it seems, so looks like we'll be rewiring that. First time I've actually looked inside the distributor... funky.

Old 07-01-2018, 02:47 PM   #466
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Not really into it today but we did manage to get some wiring tied up, clutch linkage in and a few little things. Put it up on jackstands so I could measure the wheels, they looked like 8 inchers to me but even though I don't have a real super way to measure them, looks like they're 9 inchers with a 4.5" backspace. So it's up on the lift collecting dust for the next three weeks, I'll order some more parts so when we get back we'll have more to do. I'll try to check in for an update from Bristol.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:32 PM   #467
Dissident

Liked 73 Times in 36 Posts

Howdy Todd and Autumn,

Simple fix for grubby looking distributor: Easy solution is to wash the rusty parts with household vinegar (weak acetic acid) and it will turn ferrous parts black. Wipe them off and after dry spray them with either some urethane or Bostik Top Coat for Tool Surface Sealant (both are clear and will protect the ferrous surfaces without impeding the magnetic p/u or the reluctor function. Spraying the aluminum won't hurt a thing and also helps to keep down corrosion.

The rusty stuff is a result of the high energy sparking in the cap and that generates nitric oxide in the atmosphere within the cap. This is a reaction from ozone in the cap volume (from the duration and energy of the sparks in the cap). Need to check the phasing of the rotor to the cylinder poles. Air circulation will also help, the small breather on the cap is not enough so it helps to sometimes drill a 3/8" diameter hole in the bottom of the distributor. The vertical ribs on the rotor will function as an air pump and allow air movement within the cap which is a plus.
What you showed in your pic of the distributor is pretty common and although it looks ugly, is easy to fix.

Good Luck with the simple fix while you are waiting for other parts.

Regards,
HB2
Dissident
Dissident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:17 PM   #468
Pat6868

Liked 66 Times in 21 Posts

Had this problem with 3 distributors on different cars. Talked to tech at MSD and was told they are aware of this. Suggested I send one to them. Three weeks later it was shipped to my door completely rebuilt. The only part that wasn't new was the aluminum housing, all N/C including shipping. Tough to beat that kind of service.
Pat6868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:35 PM   #469
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissident View Post
Howdy Todd and Autumn,

Simple fix for grubby looking distributor: Easy solution is to wash the rusty parts with household vinegar (weak acetic acid) and it will turn ferrous parts black. Wipe them off and after dry spray them with either some urethane or Bostik Top Coat for Tool Surface Sealant (both are clear and will protect the ferrous surfaces without impeding the magnetic p/u or the reluctor function. Spraying the aluminum won't hurt a thing and also helps to keep down corrosion.

The rusty stuff is a result of the high energy sparking in the cap and that generates nitric oxide in the atmosphere within the cap. This is a reaction from ozone in the cap volume (from the duration and energy of the sparks in the cap). Need to check the phasing of the rotor to the cylinder poles. Air circulation will also help, the small breather on the cap is not enough so it helps to sometimes drill a 3/8" diameter hole in the bottom of the distributor. The vertical ribs on the rotor will function as an air pump and allow air movement within the cap which is a plus.
What you showed in your pic of the distributor is pretty common and although it looks ugly, is easy to fix.

Good Luck with the simple fix while you are waiting for other parts.

Regards,
HB2
Dissident
Thank you, very helpful
Old 07-01-2018, 09:37 PM   #470
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat6868 View Post
Had this problem with 3 distributors on different cars. Talked to tech at MSD and was told they are aware of this. Suggested I send one to them. Three weeks later it was shipped to my door completely rebuilt. The only part that wasn't new was the aluminum housing, all N/C including shipping. Tough to beat that kind of service.
Sounds like great service, I have another one that's almost new, I could use it and send this one back.