HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-19-2017, 09:57 PM   #1
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts
Default Red, Yellow or Blue top Optima?

Need to replace my batteries and currently use the blue top but I've noticed in the past most run the red and yellow. What's your preference and why?
Old 01-19-2017, 11:35 PM   #2
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 654 Times in 254 Posts
Default Re: Red, Yellow or Blue top Optima?

Don't know about yellow but I thought blue was for boats, charge it once and let it run down until it runs out of power. If charged before nearly drained than it will have a shortened life. Not good for race car. Red top is for cars with charging systems that can charge battery after start up or for cars without alternator to be charged back up during a run. Hope I didn't confuse anyone, just going by what I have heard in the pits.

Last edited by Jeff Stout; 01-19-2017 at 11:36 PM. Reason: more
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:30 AM   #3
Maverick

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

I run one of the big yellow one and a normal blue one. Last time the batteries lasted till in the 11 th year, and then I replaced them with new ones
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:51 AM   #4
Mark Ugrich

Liked 57 Times in 32 Posts

I used a yellow top for years with no changing system. One of the best batteries I ever owned, although a bit heavy. As far as I know the yellow top is a deep cycle battery, red top is to be used with a charging system.Im not sure about the blue top, but marine use would make sense.
Mark Ugrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #5
bigfoot584

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR9121 View Post
Need to replace my batteries and currently use the blue top but I've noticed in the past most run the red and yellow. What's your preference and why?
This should help with your selection.

bigfoot584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #6
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

Thank you for all the input, yes the blue top are really for marine use so not really sure why I thought it was such a great idea. Jeff this is problem I have is short life only got a couple seasons out of these. I run an altenator ofcourse so I think I will try the red top. Thanks again.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:15 PM   #7
Steve Stasko

Liked 228 Times in 120 Posts

I had a small red-top in my street/strip car for 7 years. I got it from a friend that used to work at New Castle Battery (Turbo-Start), he had it in his race car for around 3-4 years before that. When it finally went bad, I bought the 1000 CCA red-top. Excellent batteries, I'm very satisfied with them.
Steve Stasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:47 PM   #8
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 290 Posts

My understanding is that a blue top is the same as a yellow top (deep cycle) except they have the dual terminals. I run a red top for ignition and a yellow top for everything else.
Bill
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:54 AM   #9
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 937 Times in 258 Posts

When I bought my used Wells Cargo trailer, it came with an optima blue top battery. As mentioned, the blue top has 2 pairs of terminals, 2 regular terminals, and 2 smaller threaded studs. On my trailer the 2 large terminals went to the inside winch, and the smaller studs were for various 12 volt accessories, like radio, 12 volt lighting, tongue jack, alarm, etc. I replaced the Optima with a conventional deep cycle wet cell battery, because I could never get the Optima to take a full charge. Optima says that you need a special battery charger, I tried an alternate charging method, using a 2nd regular battery and booster cables, with a regular battery charger, but it never seemed as strong as I thought it should have been. The wet cell battery pulls the car into the trailer with the winch much stronger than the Optima ever did,
Old 01-21-2017, 08:37 AM   #10
SGSST109E

Liked 124 Times in 58 Posts

As a retired employee of Johnson Controls, that owns Optima I can tell you the facts. Yellow and blue are the same except for the terminals. You should use a Battery Tender charger or the one marketed by Optima, both are very good. The danger in using any other charger is over voltage. The batteries can take any current but the killer is a standard charger going over 15 volts. When I take a battery out of the race car in goes to trailer duty. Usually in the car 6 to 10 years.
SGSST109E is offline   Reply With Quote