HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 02-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #11
NHRA1926

Liked 161 Times in 51 Posts
Default Re: Stock and Super Street....

What are some ways to reduce reaction times with a "Stock" style suspension set up to hit a pro tree (.470) in Super Street. My set up is a lot like Marty's Camaro. 67 Camaro big block, 3600 lbs, 30x10.5 Pro Bracket Radials, caltracs bars and leaf springs, moroso trick springs up front, afco double adjustable shocks all around. I've set the front shocks to stiffest rebound setting, and installed travel limiters on the upper control arms, 26" tall front runners. Even when rolling WAY into the bottom stage bulb, I can only be .030-.050 on the .470 tree. Obviously, there is no consistency when staging like this. I do not use a delay box for obvious reasons, can't hit the tree without one, so why have it. It even has a 2.75 low gear set in the tranny, 4.30 gears and two step is set at 3,000 rpm. I've tried a higher rpm launch, but it spins the tires more often with higher rpm launch. Any ideas would be appreciated.
NHRA1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-04-2020, 12:44 PM   #12
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

In theory your car should be able to react much quicker than mine, but you're nearly .100 behind what I'm getting staged dead shallow.

I wonder if it would be quicker if you reset the front shocks and travel to allow the car to work at a higher RPM.

A pro-tree transbrake? A quicker button?
Old 02-04-2020, 03:05 PM   #13
Hacksaw

Liked 272 Times in 149 Posts

Converter change.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:20 PM   #14
NHRA1926

Liked 161 Times in 51 Posts

When I remove the travel limiters and set the front shocks at full loose extension, it slows down my reaction time and wheel stands pretty high (2-3 feet). I have a lot of travel in the front, I believe that's why my reaction is slower when it's loosened up. I'm using 25" front tires also, thought they were 26". I have a converter built specifically for my set up by Lenny at Ultimate Converter Concepts,so I really don't believe the converter is the problem. I do not have a pro trans-brake, it is a TCI, but not the pro style. I might try a higher rpm on the two step, but again, it spins sometimes. Especially with the front end tied down and travel limiters installed.
NHRA1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:13 AM   #15
SGSST109E

Liked 124 Times in 58 Posts

Leave the front shocks loose and start to tighten down the travel.
SGSST109E is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-05-2020, 10:24 AM   #16
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA1926 View Post
When I remove the travel limiters and set the front shocks at full loose extension, it slows down my reaction time and wheel stands pretty high (2-3 feet). I have a lot of travel in the front, I believe that's why my reaction is slower when it's loosened up. I'm using 25" front tires also, thought they were 26". I have a converter built specifically for my set up by Lenny at Ultimate Converter Concepts,so I really don't believe the converter is the problem. I do not have a pro trans-brake, it is a TCI, but not the pro style. I might try a higher rpm on the two step, but again, it spins sometimes. Especially with the front end tied down and travel limiters installed.
There is much to be gained in the trans brake area . the bracket style brakes are SLOW ,they can be as much as .030 slower than a pro tree brake .
Select Performance has one of the quickest Powerglide brakes for Pro Tree racing.

I would set the front shocks loose with about 2-3" travel as mentioned before , but I would switch to a stiff wall bias slick and raise the launch rpm substantially .
Radials are great for going fast ,but when you are chasing Pro Tree R.T. ,and you want to limit travel ,you are better off with the bias ply .
For the rear suspension ,I'd have the front of the Cal Trac in the upper hole .
Rear shock settings need to be tried at a test and tune for both RT and 60' consistency, but stiffer is usually better.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:55 PM   #17
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Many years ago when I first tried using a trans brake I had a TCI brake and it was ridiculously slow. I could literally feel the amount of time from when I let the button go to when the car launched....

I had a trans done by someone and gave him all my parts. Told him specifically do not use that TCI valve body, he did anyway. After wasting time with that one, it was changed out and RT's were more in line with normal.....

A Pro Tree VB is usually quicker than a std brake but that's not written in stone......I had one std brake trans that was very fast.....I used to have a ton of delay using that trans....and more than one would expect.....but the Pro tree brakes are definitely usually quicker and by a decent amount as Tom said....
Old 04-13-2020, 12:17 PM   #18
Dano

Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Goldman View Post
Marty Ganjoin runs a 69 camaro in D1 that is a "stocker " more than many legit Stockers. Calvert rear suspension on 9" tires and his car hits the tree with fairly large front tires, and hundreds of pounds over the 2800 minimum . I'd say around 26"inchers. Uses a small , 427 based big block. [ not Keiths version of a 427 !!]
Marty;s been A Division champion ,Jegs Allstar ,MASSA Super Street champion with it ,so I'd say yes , you can easily do it.
Might take a little work to hit the tree to .00's ,but very doable .
The wheelstand is not a big issue and might just help with the reaction time on the Pro tree.
The biggest issue you might have is your competitors rushing to stage first against you since they know you''re footbraking .

Put a pro brake in it, cal tracs, 9" tire, 2.75 1st gear.....QA1 Rears, Tinnen Fronts, 26" front tire.....Rear Gear is a 5.13. Will be wincing a bit at the stripe. Some of those sst's are 160-170 mph these days.