HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Cdl ?

I have a FL60 Freightliner rated at 21,000 (no air breaks but registered as commercial) and a 44' L.Q. trailer rated at 18,000 registered as a travel trailer. I can see where I might need a CDL but, can I take the skill part of the test with my truck and trailer or do I need to rent a road tractor and big trailer. Tried calling around and can't find out anything...........Thanks for any input
Bob Verwold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
63corvette

Liked 281 Times in 88 Posts
Default Re: Cdl ?

Bob, when you say the truck is registered Commercial I think a CDL is required.
If it was registered as an RV you could get by with a class A or possibly even a class C.
Good Luck with whatever you decide to do as the driver license people are sometimes a real bear to deal with.
Just My 2 Cents and that is all it is worth.
Rick Cates

Last edited by 63corvette; 01-31-2012 at 04:55 PM.
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
jim powers

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

it used to be you take the road test with the piece of equipment you will be driving as far as i know
jim powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,649 Times in 521 Posts

i know you are in a diff. state but in MD they measure what combination you bring and adjust the skills course from there. 3 parts to cdl. pre trip, skills, and road drive w/ officer. takes about 2 hours. and this is just the license part. you also have to pass air brake and any other "written test" on computer now....let me add, it is not as easy as one may think, go to dmv and get a book, best place to start. even if you don't need a cdl, its still nice to have and you will learn a thing or two . also if you do need a cdl, then you may need a medical card. i have mine done same time as my nhra physical is due, most docs will do them at the same time, for $10 or so extra. just a few of my thoughts....
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I did pick up the CDL booklet and have been reading this. I'll be sure that I know everything in the book before taking the test. I was just wondering if I could take the driving test in my truck or if it had to be theirs (if they rent them)
Another thing, if this is NOT for profit are they really mandatory. And if they are do ya need a DOT #.

The lady at the DMV told me that a CDL was not needed because the truck was under 26,000lbs but because of the GVW it gets registered as a commercial truck. The truck isn't the problem it's when I hook up the trailer and the weight goes up to 39,000 that I get worried. Tried the RV route but she had no part of that........

Thanks for the reply's.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,649 Times in 521 Posts

is this mandatory? ask 10 people you will get 10 diff. answers, lot of grey area, better safe than sorry. best bet is ask weigh station personnel in your state, still gonna get diff answers. and yes you SHOULD be able to take the test in your truck/trailer. it does not have to be traditional over the road type tractor trailer. sorry, all i can offer...
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guy's
Old 01-31-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

I let someone use my Crew cab dually and 44'GN Haulmark to take thier cdl test (truck 12K gvw Trailer 21K gvw). He could not do the air brake part so he ended up with a class A license without air brake endosement. Then he went back with a dump truck that he borrowed from someone else and they just made him do the pretrip and written test for the air brake endorsement. I just added doubles/triples. Hazmat and tanks to mine so I can haul fertlizer and they just made me take the written tests and back ground stuff for the Hazmat. Here in the great state of Illinois it makes no sense how and why they decide when you do skills tests and when you dont. So the short awnser is no you dont need a semi to get it here. As for if you need it or not. If you are able to get it, get it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. My Toter is regestered RV but I will not let anyone drive it without a cdl. I figure if we get any crap about regestered RV we can always say we are legal to drive a semi anyways because of our class A cdl and medical card. Where as if they give us a hard time and we dont have a cdl they will hit me twice as hard. By the way if you get busted without a cdl (in a truck that requires it)under federal law they can impose up to a 25,000 fine on the driver and up to 250,000 dollar fine on the owner of the truck.

Last edited by Rob Petrie E395; 01-31-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
voltdr

Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts

Bob,
I have been preparing for my CDL here in TX. After talking with the State Troopers, here are some of my findings.
1. In TX, your are required to have a CDL class B, for any single vehicle (no trailer) if the GVW is over 26,001#. even an RV.
2. If the combination of vehicles (truck and trailer) is rated over 26,001# then you are required a CDL class A.
3. If the trailer is over 10,000# you are required a CDL class A.
4. If the nature of what you are doing involves "commerce" you are required a CDL class A.
5. They define commerce as being any time you are being compensated for what you are doing. This is where we, as racers, get caught in the system because we race for money.
6. In TX, you can take your skills test in any vehicle that meets the criteria in item #2 above, as needing a CDL class A.
Hope this helps.
Dan
voltdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm still working on the book part.........LOL Harder than I thought.

Thanks for the input.