HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 02-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
Phillip marvetz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Cdl ?

And yes they do want you to have a DOT# also. Is your truck registered for the 38,000lbs total or more? If you get scaled they will want you licensed for more than your total weight.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Phillip marvetz;309500]And yes they do want you to have a DOT# also. Is your truck registered for the 38,000lbs total or more? If you get scaled they will want you licensed for more than your total weight.

Your talking about the truck tags being 38,000 or more ? I took a weight slip for the truck and trailer to the DMV when I had it registered and it was 25,650 and I have tags for 26,000. But the GVW stickers are a total of 38,000 so what do ya go by..........This is where she told me I did NOT need a CDL .

I'm just about to the point that I should have stayed with my 24' and the dually............
Bob Verwold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
C and W Racing

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

[QUOTE=voltdr;309481]Bob,
I5. They define commerce as being any time you are being compensated for what you are doing. This is where we, as racers, get caught in the system because we race for money.

The problem comes from if you claim the expences for tax purposes. If you don't claim expences, but show winnings as income and pay taxes on it, then there is no problem
Chuck
C and W Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #14
Phillip marvetz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

25,650 is pretty close to the CDL limit. A full tank of fuel, A cooler full of goodies, A passenger and the dog and you could be in trouble. How often do you drive by a scale house and how lucky do you feel?
Old 02-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #15
voltdr

Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts

[QUOTE=C and W Racing;309540]
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdr View Post
Bob,
I5. They define commerce as being any time you are being compensated for what you are doing. This is where we, as racers, get caught in the system because we race for money.

The problem comes from if you claim the expences for tax purposes. If you don't claim expences, but show winnings as income and pay taxes on it, then there is no problem
Chuck
Here is the real problem. How do you prove that on the side of the road, and the officer is telling you to park your rig until a licensed CDL-A driver arrives.
voltdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #16
BlueOval Ralph
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

or if the unit Truck and or trailer are in the name of a bussiness
BlueOval Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #17
Tom Moock

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Bob Verwold, They go by the GVW listed weight for the vehicles; truck and trailer, not what you have them license for, if over 26,000 you need CDL and log book, med. card, dot #, UCR # 300.00 fine. I got ticket in Ok. in my one ton truck for not stopping in scale, truck licensed for 10,000 pounds, sign showed truck over 10,000 pounds must weight but truck GVW is 11,800 pounds. Tom
Old 02-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #18
MYRONARL1119

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bob, I can tell u about Ohio as I was involved in transportation fora living, and also as a racer. I don't know what the clerk told you, but according to PUCO (the folks that actually will pull raaandom, as well as scale insspections in Ohio)...The point as to whether you need a CDL is taking the combined Weight capacity of the truck itself and the weight allowed of your trailer aand its cargo. If you are using a "Dually" aand a trailer of aany size at all...you will be over 26,000 GVW. The only ssure way around Ohio is to use a non aair brake trailer....and not use a truck. And a good example of that is a Chevy or GMC Suburban. They are actually built on a truck type chassis, but actually tagged as a car or "station wagon". Was aactually told at one time to "stay off my scales" ...it is for trucks. Just my experience. And if you do go the CDL route, u will need a medical card, DOT no on your truck....aand must maaintain hours of service.e.g. LOG BOOK.
MYRONARL1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #19
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This whole thing started with me wanting to be safer on the road. My 1 ton crew cab dually was registered as non com, it was still over weight with the 44' trailer, but I just used it that way. Going to the bigger truck (Freightliner) I felt safer on the road and this truck handles the trailer like it isn't there. But this truck is registered as a commercial truck, this puts me in another bracket. That said, none of this circus is registered in a company name, it's all personal.
I understand that if I was doing this for a living I'd need all the numbers. log book and med card. But just going to several races, well you know....
At this point in time I'm trying to get the CDL and be legal, because I'm not buying another truck and not wild about the $1,000 tickets or waiting on the side of the road for another driver. So thanks to all that posted with information.
Bob Verwold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #20
BlueOval Ralph
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The whole thing is this. If it is over 10,001 lbs and used in comerical buss it is required to have a US DOT # this brings in the CDL, Log Books, Medical card, drivers test and on and on read section 391.2 of the Federal Requirements. sorry about thge spelling
BlueOval Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote