Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #21
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts
Default Re: 2008 rules changes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Why does anyone need an accumulator? If they need one then they have an issue with oil pressure, then they have not done their homework on their oil pan. You can buy a stock looking oil pan from many manufacturers with trap doors and/or baffles that will prevent oil pressure loss when you slam on the brakes or wheelstand. Milodon, Canton and Kevko make these type of pans. Many will make the case that their oil pressure drops during decceleration and the reason why the need the accumulator, but the reality is that it allows for a lower oil level in the oil pan, reducing windage and freeing up horsepower.
Anything that might help you reduce the chance for bottom end failures is good and that's why I said it was a good rule. Yes it will enable people to run less oil and maybe pick up some power if they choose to risk it. I had an aftermarket pan and really never looked at my oil pressure anytime during a run. I had no E-shift so my eyes were always on the tach or somewhere else other than the gauge.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:26 PM   #22
Patrick Kelliher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Re: 2008 rules changes!

What I don't understand is that if these rules are meant to "reduce failures" then why they do not allow roller rockers or even pushrod guide plates. Neither will give a distinct performance improvement, but would reduce failures at one of the weakest points on a stocker engine. Both are legal per IHRA rules. This is assuming that this list of rule revisions is accurate and complete.
Patrick Kelliher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:12 PM   #23
John Warehime

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

How many, if any, of these pointers have fallen out? Just currious; It must have been alot, and they must have caused flat tires, or the NHRA wouldn't even notice them. Is someone trying to sell drill bits and pins now, or what?
John Warehime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:41 PM   #24
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 699 Times in 203 Posts

Come on Don! everybody needs to know everything "Force" , just ask any NHRA exec. LOL. ......We can be thankful at least Rob Park was thinking about giving his racers a heads up on the changes. .......... I dont know about timing pointers, but I've seen a lot of other junk laying on the track at the end of the day!! ................some of these rules are certainly "interesting" ,but requiring stacks on permantly mounted generators is one that makes sense and is way over due. .....Last year a tailgater died at a Penn State game due to carbon monoxide. ........... Think about how close we are pitted together at some races,and it amazing it has'nt happened to one of us. .....I know I always check my CO detector in the motorhome to make sure it's functional. .............As far as the valve job rule goes , I'm glad I did'nt freshen my heads yet!. ..........Tom
Old 12-05-2007, 04:43 PM   #25
LNorton

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Im using a small Honda generator that I carry and set behind our open trailer... def not building a stack if I head to an NHRA event.
LNorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:19 PM   #26
Isaac Zane

Liked 50 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Why does anyone need an accumulator? If they need one then they have an issue with oil pressure, then they have not done their homework on their oil pan. You can buy a stock looking oil pan from many manufacturers with trap doors and/or baffles that will prevent oil pressure loss when you slam on the brakes or wheelstand. Milodon, Canton and Kevko make these type of pans. Many will make the case that their oil pressure drops during decceleration and the reason why the need the accumulator, but the reality is that it allows for a lower oil level in the oil pan, reducing windage and freeing up horsepower.

Do these companies make good baffled oil pans for Buick 350's? And every other combination?
Isaac Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:35 PM   #27
Randall Klein

Liked 317 Times in 66 Posts

They anguish for months over buttons et al, take polls and ask input and yet trannys and valve jobs fall out of the sky from nowhereland. As Alice in Wonderland said...."it gets curiouser and curiouser"
Randall Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:59 PM   #28
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,453 Times in 541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zane View Post
Do these companies make good baffled oil pans for Buick 350's? And every other combination?
I know that Kevko, Canton and Milodon has the pans for the Chevy engines. Canton has the pans for the Ford and Pontiac applications. Also, I have talked to Kevko, Canton and even Joey Steffanucci (Stef's Oil Pans), they all said they can modify any stock pan with the same provisions.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #29
Dave Goob Cook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Klein View Post
They anguish for months over buttons et al, take polls and ask input and yet trannys and valve jobs fall out of the sky from nowhereland. As Alice in Wonderland said...."it gets curiouser and curiouser"
Promoting flow bench sales I guess?

You can run a car with 2000 pop rivets in it down the track, but you gotta pin the timing pointer? Weird.
Dave Goob Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #30
GaryGoFast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Talking Re: 2008 rules changes!

http://www.camco.net/Menu.cfm?SupCat...ProductId=2216

Least expensive generator exhaust "Gen Turri" I've seen $ 106.00
GaryGoFast is offline   Reply With Quote