HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 11-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default Auto Meter Northern Class Nationals event planning

We have talked about it, kicked the idea around, hemmed, hawed, pondered, and pontificated about reviving the famous US Class Nationals concept for years now... really, ever since the inaugural event was completed. Having promoted a couple of successful big-money bracket races now, I'm distinctly aware of the massive amount of preparation and promotion necessary to make an event a reality -- and among those things is time. It takes time not only to reach all of our potential customers, but also to line up dates, sponsors, advertising, etc. It seems like the final step of taking the plunge and just *doing* it is always a little behind the timeline, and it just never gets done.

What I am proposing is to get the ball rolling now for a 2014 event. Let's hash out and test the concept first.

To complement the significant number of truly great S/SS Combo events and series out there, I believe having an event where Stock and Super Stock run separate, as well as having Class Eliminations, would provide a greater draw.

Northern Doorslammer Nationals -- Event format: My goal is to have a 2-day event, featuring Stock and Super Stock as separate classes -- really need to be able to draw 64 cars per class to be viable.

Friday: Parking & Registration. Potentially a track-run test n' tune.
Saturday: Time Trials and Class Eliminations. Minimum of Iron Tree trophies for each Class winner, and will work on sponsor contingency/awards
Sunday: Main event eliminations, minimum of $5,000/win, with round money starting 3rd round, similar level to a Sportsnationals event.

If y'all are on board, I'm willing to work for YOU, the racer.

Last edited by Michael Beard; 07-31-2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: updated thread title
Michael Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
RJ Sledge

Liked 247 Times in 78 Posts
Default Re: Class Nationals event planning

Michael

It is a huge undertaking on your part, but knowing you and your accomplishments and what you can bring to the table I believe that you would be able to do it and do it well. There is a extremely short list of people that i feel that could accomplish it and you are on it in my opinion.

Location would be very important, not only from the competitor point of view, but also from yours. Having it centrally located may be the thing to do, but being able to appeal to a larger population of racers in a particular area is another.

I believe that you will have a large percentage of racers who have the desire, but maybe not have the where with all to attend, based on travel, time off, expense and such.

Good Luck and count me in.

RJ
RJ Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

Bowling Green would be a great central location for a lot of racers. I will help you if I can.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
norm saibene

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i am game sounds greate i cant waite if you need any help just let us no
norm saibene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
Dave Turner
VIP Member

Liked 331 Times in 131 Posts

With more than a year to prepare, I can't see why I should miss an event like this. A venue within 18 hours of Toronto would be preferred, but I'm likely to tow as far as it takes.......might even have the car finished by 2014.
Dave Turner #3110
D & E/SA ‘72 Mustang
Dave Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
Michael Kilduff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm on board with ya Michael. I'll have a car in both categories provided there is enough interest to run S/SS separately.

What date are you kicking around?
Old 12-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

Michael,
Thank's for the effort it takes to put a race like that together. We will do our best to be there we,I think we can round up 2-6 stockers.
If has footbrake also I will run it too. May 2014 correct?
Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Ladies and gentlemen, barring any unforeseen schedule changes in the local region, we have approval for National Trail Raceway in Hebron, OH to host the Class Nationals on May 2-4, 2014!

Now things can get serious. Before I can put together marketing proposals, we'll need to firm up the overall format for the event. If the 2014 schedule follows suit with 2013, we're likely to have the Charlotte 4-Wide Nats two weeks before, and both the Div. 3 Indy and Div. 1 Open at Atco the week before our event. We would be followed by an open weekend (Mother's Day) and then Div. 3 Norwalk, Div. 1 Open Epping, and Topkea National. Looking at this from a financial aspect and time off work, do *you* want the extra time and expense of going to a 3-day format, with additional racing on Friday, or are we good with the 2-day format (SAT: Qualifying, Class, & $5K No-Box, SUN: $5K Stock, $5K Super Stock, $5K No-Box)?

Stream of consciousness thought that just hit me... if we can get some sponsors for it, what do you think about doing a Quick 16 CIC race for Stock and Super Stock each, qualified from just the final round performances of Class Eliminations winners? King of the Hill, with a little throwback to the traditional 'gotta win class to get in the big show!'

These details aren't set in stone... looking for feedback on what you the customer wants.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
Mark Lewis

Liked 183 Times in 37 Posts

2 day format looks good. That would give Friday to get there.

I would skip the Charlotte race to be able to attend this one.

I know everyone wants to race Natl events, but they aren't what they were at one time.

You're not old enough to remember those days,lol
Mark Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Andrew Hill

Liked 170 Times in 38 Posts

This race sounds awesome!

Would you consider the idea of putting the 2008 and later cars in their own classes like IHRA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
Stream of consciousness thought that just hit me... if we can get some sponsors for it, what do you think about doing a Quick 16 CIC race for Stock and Super Stock each, qualified from just the final round performances of Class Eliminations winners? King of the Hill, with a little throwback to the traditional 'gotta win class to get in the big show!'
Absolutely!