Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #11
cal

Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via AIM to cal
Default Re: A case for Tru-Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSale View Post
I reread the available info on TruStart and agree with the premise, but the track has to shut off the automatic win light until after the second car starts the clocks. If the chaser is geared to kill the tree in a tight race like this, he can drop out of race mode with the auto win light flashing. If the win light is put on hold, then the chaser has to follow his plan of action. If it involves cutting it too close, then the red light margins decide the winner. The chaser has to be given the opportunity to lose to make this fair.
Hello all
The way true start is set up the win light or Red light does not come on till both cars have left the starting line. Example Car A has the spot Car B leaves 2nd.
Car A turns it 001 red, the red light will not show until Car B leaves the starting line.
If both car A & B red light, both red lights will show on the tree and the score board will show the true winner.
Not saying I like it or don't like it, but as long as I know it is being used before I enter the race that's cool with me.

Cal
SST HR 1177
cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:21 AM   #12
Mickey Whaley
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lightbulb Re: A case for Tru-Start

Ken please get this crap off of here same ol same ol racing has been the same for 40 years why change now????????????????
Mickey Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:05 AM   #13
novassdude

Liked 133 Times in 49 Posts

Next we need to go for the best package crowed. Who would have won the race based on best package?

Then to be really fair lets figure the winner all 3 ways Current system, True start and Best package. The racer that wins 2 out of 3 ways is declared the winner.

Or to make the new millennials happy every one just go down the track but don't record anything and everyone is declared the winner.
novassdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #14
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,705 Times in 853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by novassdude View Post
Next we need to go for the best package crowed. Who would have won the race based on best package?

Then to be really fair lets figure the winner all 3 ways Current system, True start and Best package. The racer that wins 2 out of 3 ways is declared the winner.

Or to make the new millennials happy every one just go down the track but don't record anything and everyone is declared the winner.
That's funny right there....don't care who you are.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #15
Bob Don
VIP Member

Liked 778 Times in 175 Posts

If this includes a "Participation Wally", I'm in!
Old 11-14-2016, 08:27 PM   #16
Dave Noll

Liked 219 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Don View Post
If this includes a "Participation Wally", I'm in!
I'm out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novassdude View Post

They do have a best package deal at the bracket finals. 2 out of 3, yeah, hyuk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Whaley View Post
Ken please get this crap off of here same ol same ol racing has been the same for 40 years why change now????????????????
As the starter of this thread, I feel Tru-start is 39 years too late in being implemented. Why change ? As a driver of a slower car, I feel this is a problem that needs to be fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7423 View Post
The race was over on the starting line. Closer to the dial means nothing. Closer to green should move on. Jody was closer to green than Bob. Pigs should have been flyin' long ago...........
Agreed, except for maybe the pigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
Curious how you say that Charlie, their red lights were only .001 apart, and Bob was much closer to his dial, although it is obvious that both drivers lifted early. I know both drivers, and Jody is certainly one of the best Stock and S/S drivers over the past 15 or so years, but as he showed in the final, Mr. Gullet is not to be taken lightly, and deserved the win.
Agreed. Bob and Jody are both guys that I have a lot of respect for. They are both real good at doing this. What happened when they raced is just an example of what I feel that tru-start will, in my mind, fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4406mopar View Post
Not isolated, happens many events.
Pomona finals SS 3rd round - stock 5th round
Vegas SS 2nd round
Dallas stock 2nd round.
St Louis SS 3rd round, etc
My point exactly. Its not isolated. Tru-start is now out there and fixes this advantage that I feel the faster cars have had. I, for 1, would like to see it implemented. Its been created, has a name, I like it.

Dave Noll, N/SA 6526
Dave Noll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:50 PM   #17
Bob Shaw

Liked 290 Times in 58 Posts

Starting in 1976 at NHRA divisional races the first car to reach the finish line and break out was the loser. They figured out that wasn't right and corrected it..

Last edited by Bob Shaw; 11-14-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Bob Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:34 PM   #18
tranzbuilder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

For all of those wanting to race with tru-start I'm sure the are plenty of bracket racing platforms beginning out there and tracks as well then u won't have to worry about heads-up races fuel check or going over the scales or even tear downs for that matter and centainly won't have to cry on this forum about not getting into a national event where they won't implement tru-start. Believe it or not the level playing field out there is what u make it quit complaining and just get some seat time
tranzbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:42 AM   #19
Bernie Cunningham

Liked 52 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzbuilder View Post
For all of those wanting to race with tru-start I'm sure the are plenty of bracket racing platforms beginning out there and tracks as well then u won't have to worry about heads-up races fuel check or going over the scales or even tear downs for that matter and centainly won't have to cry on this forum about not getting into a national event where they won't implement tru-start. Believe it or not the level playing field out there is what u make it quit complaining and just get some seat time
WOW, I'd like to know who you are my friend, that's a very bold post right there !!
Old 11-15-2016, 01:04 AM   #20
Don Morris

Liked 72 Times in 9 Posts

Maybe I have a misconception of how Tru-Start works. I'd be happy to be corrected.

For example, racing under the Tru-Start system is a V/SA and an A/SA. V car leaves and goes red, but there is no visible indication of a foul start (to use NHRA terminology). Freeze frame right there. As I understand Tru-Start, the V car driver now has a "second chance" at winning the race instead of being automatically eliminated. So far so good? If the A car leaves clean, that driver is the automatic winner. If the A car goes red, I guess they figure it out with the R/T that is closer to .000 or each driver's total package.

Now change things up a little. V car leaves clean and the A car goes red. Is the A car automatically eliminated?
Don Morris is offline   Reply With Quote