Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #31
NWDragracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: How much longer do we have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Southerland View Post
Hmmmmm . . . "seats sustaining speed" is strange to me. I didn't know any seat was built to "sustain speed".
Well...the seat subject was beaten to dead some time ago and contained some good information and perspectives from racers.

http://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=27097
NWDragracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #32
Phillip marvetz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
I'd say if you spent or were offered $1000 rockers that are within the new rules, somebody is trying to screw you royal!
Price a set of rollers for a Hemi. $1000 is cheap.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #33
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip marvetz View Post
Price a set of rollers for a Hemi. $1000 is cheap.
Oh yea..forgot about that mega dollar piece. But then again, if you can afford to race a Hemi in Stock, an extra $500 or so above the cost of the typical wedge or canted valve in Stock. Hard to gain sympathy by using a Hemi as a crying post.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #34
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Engine Guy View Post
Respectfully, Jeff, there are rocker sets out there that actually do cost that much with the modifications allowed to fit the application. Some applications can't have these types of modifications done physically. These are special built pieces that will pass the "new rule" but offer advantages over the common roller rocker. They are on the approved list but the modifications are not (in my opinion) in the spirit of the rule. Actually, we don't know what will go thru tech under the new rule until it is either kicked or passed. But I know of at least a couple that have been looked at and passed. Mostly because the people looking at them didn't know what they were looking for. That is the biggest reason some of us were against allowing rockers. I'm all for the interest of preventing engine failures in any way possible. Its like the disc brake rule that everyone wanted in the interest of saftey. What was really wanted was dual calipers or more holding power on the rear tires to allow higher stall speeds. I have stopped too many low 9 sec. drum brake heavy superstockers for years without any problems, however, I agree the discs are better at stopping. But stopping and saftey was, for many, a "smoke screen" as a way to get a car to work better off a chip in the first 60'.
Yes, point taken. But we both understand the intent of the rule and we both understand that ANY rule can be (and will be) taken to the nth degree by some. I'm sure somebody will have custom rockers for their application which will employ the design you allude to. But then again, somebody has probably built titanium rotors and hubs under the aftermarket brake rule.
The rules or even lack of rules will always have a few with unlimited budgets & unlimited egos doing whatever it takes.
I'm one example that decided to go back to Stock purely as a result of the roller rocker allowance. I bought the Comp Cams stainless rockers which was around $400 for my AMC. I think Harland Sharpe sells an aluminum roller for $250 or so and that would be acceptable to me if that was all that was available. Adjusting lash and or replacing rockers at the track is no fun on the schedule i kept. Luckily a broken rocker ever took out an wngine and dumped oil on the track.
And I know a few others that can now legally run roller rockers that ran them illegally in the past. That I do not condone but it was occurring

Last edited by Jeff Lee; 05-04-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Jeff Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #35
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
Yes, point taken. But we both understand the intent of the rule and we both understand that ANY rule can be (and will be) taken to the nth degree by some. I'm sure somebody will have custom rockers for their application which will employ the design you allude to. But then again, somebody has probably built titanium rotors and hubs under the aftermarket brake rule.
The rules or even lack of rules will always have a few with unlimited budgets & unlimited egos doing whatever it takes.
I'm one example that decided to go back to Stock purely as a result of the roller rocker allowance. I bought the Comp Cams stainless rockers which was around $400 for my AMC. I think Harland Sharpe sells an aluminum roller for $250 or so and that would be acceptable to me if that was all that was available. Adjusting lash and or replacing rockers at the track is no fun on the schedule i kept. Luckily a broken rocker ever took out an wngine and dumped oil on the track.
And I know a few others that can now legally run roller rockers that ran them illegally in the past. That I do not condone but it was occurring
Jeff back in 1980 I remember some front wheel assemblies that were made of very light material. The rule now has just made it fairer for everyone.
If they would have kept the valve spring rule, roller rockers would not be needed.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #36
tommy d

Liked 310 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stkdiv5 View Post
Maybe we'll have to replace crankshafts every two years for safety reasons..........
Nom THATS funny right there!
tommy d is online now   Reply With Quote