HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #11
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default Re: Strange front brakes dragging

I have the exact brakes on both my SS car and my sons bracket bomber, never had an issue with either. Both are fairly heavy cars of course the kid loves to "park it" @ times near the stripe. The first thing we need to figure out, is the issue hydraulic or mechanical? Personally I would put car on stands, remove frt. wheels, put a couple lug nuts on to retain the rotors then have someone apply the brakes and release them while you check for pad release, the rotors should turn freely immediately after pedal release. If the seem to be dragging, loosen one of the bleeders and see if that frees them up, if so then you're dealing with an hydraulic issue.If you find loosening the bleeder doesn't help, you need to check for caliper alignment, both centered and for being square to the rotor, if the caliper is "tilted" in relation to the rotor it will cause issues. Another thing that can cause problems is the pads being hung up in the caliper, they should move freely. As Strange eluded to, their calipers are not designed to "retract" they use an Oring in their calipers VS a sqare cut seal, the square seals tend to "pull back" more on the piston. Please try some of these things and let us know what you find. Joe
Old 02-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #12
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 700 Times in 204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrphil View Post
Might want to double-check that the master cylinder pushrod is retracting all the way - if the spool valve is in the wrong position it will not release pressure.
X2 on the pushrod adj.
make sure there is some freeplay on the pedal.
Try cracking the bleeder open when the brakes are draging , if it frees up, the problem is not in the brake caliper.
If the brakes still drag , check the rotors for "belling" and make sure the caliper bracket has been mounted correctly and are not bent .
Severely tapered pads indicate either a missaligned caliper , or belled rotor.
Check what you have thoroughly before spending $ thousands on something that is easily repaired.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #13
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 700 Times in 204 Posts
Talking Re: Strange front brakes dragging

Joe, were we reading each others minds?
Old 02-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #14
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Tom, yeah we must be on the same page. Of course my post is "long winded" have a hard time trying to abbreviate my thoughts as simple as they are. Joe
Old 02-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #15
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

They are right about Lamb and Mark Willams, but we have sucessfully used aerospace brakes, put springs between the calipers, and eliminated all drag. They were an issue on one front brake when we first got them, but now as free as a pro stock car, I think.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #16
CrateCamaro

Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts

A friend of mine told me he had this problem and it was because he had just a bit too much brake fluid in the master. Drained a little and fixed. Im not no Texas Ranger but I sure hope this helps. Pedal adjustment would be my second guess. I always make sure to check the clearance. I like to have just a little play in the rod.

Last edited by CrateCamaro; 02-16-2012 at 11:23 AM.
CrateCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #17
Sean Marconette

Liked 165 Times in 60 Posts

Just out of curiousity, how bad are they dragging? With the tires off the ground, you should be able to spin the tires by hand. They should continue to rotate if shimmed correctly, and the rotors are not warped. Like others have suggested if you remove the hydraulic pressure and they still do not free up, then I would pull the caliper, and spin the wheel? This will eliminate the brakes as the issue all together. Are the wheel bearings so loose that the rotor is rubbing the brake pads as it turns?

My Strange brakes have been trouble free, it is a good idea to check the fastener hardware, and caliper alignment before the start of each season though.

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #18
Bubbba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

X3 on the push-rod

Ed M.
Bubbba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #19
Wade_Owens

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Jon, you may PM or call Dean and Dennis Oliver. They had the exact same trouble and fought it for weeks.

Wade O
Wade_Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #20
NewHemi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My Drag Pak came with Mark Williams brake/rotors mounted on stock hubs. We had a consistent front brake wobble on shutdown and braking. We measured everything, and couldn't figure it. When I finally decided it was becoming a safety issue, we got Strange Hubs, brakes and Rotors.

The first thing we noticed is that they dragged..We called, and talked to Strange, and they said, the pads are not broken in. We went through the suggested break in procedure. And they still dragged. We checked fluid levels, bled lines, checked everything. And after a couple of more races, apparently they seated, or something ?else? happened, and now they no longer drag.

I guess my point is that it was a mystery, and remains one. But since it isn't a problem right now. We will just take it, and be happy.

David
The New Hemi Guy
NewHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked