HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Competition Tech

Old 11-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
73pontiacventura

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Pontiac 350 built to 383 stroker ?

I just tore into my pontiac found out it is a 68 pontiac 350 with #17 heads - 8 to 1 compression .It is rebuilt , but looking for more power maybe 11's in 1/4 mile and street driven to shows . I did find a hotrod magizine build of this and the numbers are impressive just looking to see if anyone out there has done it and liked the power . This is one side the other side is 400 or 455 build I guess $ is the options . The pontiac car is a ex 10's strip street car that ran 13.80's at 96 mph at the 1/4 mile with this 350 in it - Any input will help my decision to what way to go with the build .Thank you http://s1358.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow
73pontiacventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,414 Times in 1,683 Posts
Default Re: Pontiac 350 built to 383 stroker ?

1, Where are you located?

2, You already have a 400 (stroke) crank now. The block won't bore anywhere near that size

3, It you're really into strokers, you want a 3" main 4.21 stroke crank in a 400 block.Now you have a small main 455

4, At that point be prepared for traction issues

5, Nice looking car!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
73pontiacventura

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you for the input , these pontiac builds are interesting when you look at butler and kauffman builds ( for example) .The mods they do are indeapth and strong for the long haul ,but with the wallet to support it .I am typically chevy power - get use to that pricing and avaliabillity .
73pontiacventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:19 PM   #4
Bruce Fulper

Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73pontiacventura View Post
Thank you for the input , these pontiac builds are interesting when you look at butler and kauffman builds ( for example) .The mods they do are indeapth and strong for the long haul ,but with the wallet to support it .I am typically chevy power - get use to that pricing and avaliabillity .
Neither Butler or Kaufmann compete. They know nothing about making competitive power n/a. If it doesn't have boost they're clueless. Not a "dig." Just a fact. And I'm tired of guys passing me by as one of the most prolific Super Stock Pontiac engine builders in history. Check out the 2002 July issue of Car Craft and see who know what about Pontiac 350's. 9.5Cr. made 540 hp. One of my many, many accomplishments.

Ok now. Some intelligent guy pop off with a butt hurt statement. Instead of doing due dilignece. Here to help.
Bruce Fulper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:36 AM   #5
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 749 Times in 361 Posts

Looks like this thread is nearly 10 years old.

BUT, there could possibly be some rare guy out there that might be interested in a Pontiac 350. So, I'll chime in with what little I know about it.

Note: Most Pontiac guys will badmouth the 350 & recommend using a 400 or larger block & going with big cubes. BUT, you can easily make near 400hp & more streetable horsepower, using a stock stroke 350.

Now if you wanna build a strip only 350, it's real easy to make well over 400. I bought a 350 powered '69 Tempest former Stocker that made 434hp. It was built over 20 years ago.

Stock racer Adam Strang ran a '68 350HO in his '68 Bird stick car, last year. It an 10.80's.

Brad Koivisto runs a 350 powered '74 Ventura/GTO. It runs low 11's, & has run in the 10's, also.

Bill Rink has run mid 10's with his SS '74 GTO, & has several Indy class wins with it, in Stock & SS form.

Mike Morgan has also run some mid 10's, with his SS '77 Bird, has won class @ Indy & RU to Bill Rink, more than once. All these engines use near stock stroke, according to the rules.

I think Parsons & Myers built both of those SS 350's.

But, the title of the thread indicates that the OP was asking about a 350 block stroker. So, I'll post a link to an old 350 stroker build. It's not a MAX all-out race build.

Keep in mind that the guy who built this engine is no longer in business, therefore no longer sells the parts that he was selling when he built this engine. So, the correct parts for a build like this will now cost quite a bit more.

The reason I'm posting this is because it is NOT a super high hp, exotic build. It's actually pretty basic. It could be upgraded for a serious strip-only build.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/hp...-engine-build/

BTW: If anybody reading this needs a 350 core to build, I have a '77 350, complete from intake to oil pan. Will sell it and the TH350 trans that was bolted to it, for $500 total. The main value item is the 6x-4 heads. They & the iron intake are legal for a '77 Pontiac 350 Stock or SS build. It's located in North central Louisiana. Not gonna ship.

Last edited by oldskool; 08-26-2021 at 09:53 AM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote