HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-27-2015, 02:37 PM   #1
Eric Merryfield

Liked 471 Times in 114 Posts
Default Safety.....the neck....helmets.....etc

Things go wrong in drag racing, a fact of life

Lets here about what your practices are in addition to the common sense habits of making sure your belts are snug etc.

After I crashed my challenger a few years ago, I not surprisingly had a stiff neck and some bruises, etc. Besides vowing to lift when the car gets out of shape, I didn't really change my ways......but watching my kids at the top end of the track at up to 130 mph has made me a bit more thoughtful.

This offseason, I started doing neck exercises for the first time since jump school. Not sure if others do this too. Full face M helmet now for me, no more open, oddly the full face M is quite a bit lighter than the Open helmet it replaced.

Would like to know if anyone is using a hans in stock/superstock that isn't required to. Crashing a collectible/valuable car is a terrible event, walking away from it though is priceless.

Back to work for me, here in the still snow covered northeast.

Thanks

Eric
Old 02-27-2015, 09:21 PM   #2
Mike Gray

Liked 498 Times in 134 Posts
Default Re: Safety.....the neck....helmets.....etc

"Besides vowing to lift when the car gets out of shape"

That is the number one most important thing for your safety !

I am always surprised at how far people will drive an out of shape car,

Last edited by Mike Gray; 02-27-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Mike Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:40 AM   #3
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

I planning on getting neck restraint,not sure which one yet, I had a friend crash head on into wall at Ohio Valley last fall after 190 mph pass he figures was still 150-160 range when he hit, he had no back or neck injuries. We were talking about it and I said probably don't really need one at 100 mph, and he replied he would not go without one even in my car, I thought about it and I believe he is right.
I have already bought a wide angle rear view mirror and will put side mirrors back on car if have to,will have to learn to drive stripe using mirrors.
There is NO DOUBT the Hans device saved his life,they put him through the,can't think of the name of machine?, c scan,pet scan? whatever 3 times because doctor thought they had to be missing injuries to his neck and back from a crash like that, he had crushed big bones upper and lower parts of his leg tibia,fibula?? crushed knee,thumb,broke collar bone.
Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
SSGN

Liked 130 Times in 46 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Safety.....the neck....helmets.....etc

Great post and when your kids are driving it is even more nerve wracking. My daughters always used Simpson helmets and neck collars when they raced jrs and when they went to my 11 second car they still wear a jacket, full face helmet and collar. They even wear the pants because they can slip them on over there shorts in the hot weather. It scares me how many people spend tons of money on go fast parts and buy the cheapest helmets they can find. I also received some good advice from a fellow superstock racer " if it doesn't feel right, lift and stay out of it"

Kevin

Kevin

Last edited by SSGN; 02-28-2015 at 11:35 AM.
SSGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
hemid68

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I did buy a used HANS device a year ago, because even though I haven't raced in a while. I like to show my car, and promote seatbelts, and safety in general, etc., so the HANS device kind of went along with presenting safety. I think after Dale Earnhardt Sr. death, a lot of the casual race fans, have heard of a HANS device, but a lot haven't seen one up close, so it went well with the presentation. When/if I ever do get to start racing again, I will use it - I'm goofy enough with out rattling my brain more.
My 6 year old Grandson started racing 1/4 midgets this year, and always wore a neck collar, even though he was in the slowest rookie classes. After he hit the wall head on, a few weeks ago, and still liked racing, we have got him a Hybrid device. We are trying to do this after this first little incident, before it is "locking the gate after the horse is gone" situation!
This is just my 2 cents.
Thanks
hemid68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:41 PM   #6
Kevin Panzino

Liked 550 Times in 106 Posts

Always felt that the lighter the helmet the better. No sense having all that inertia hung on your neck.... Has to increase injury potential from rapid deceleration...

I'll be looking at a new helmet this winter. Weight will be key.

Kevin
Kevin Panzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:51 PM   #7
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

How much protection can we expect to get from just a collar? I used one in hot rod because it was required but haven't been wearing it in my stocker.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:56 PM   #8
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR9121 View Post
How much protection can we expect to get from just a collar? I used one in hot rod because it was required but haven't been wearing it in my stocker.
The neck collar will help you from getting a broken collar bone from the full coverage helmet if you have an accident. I would wear an open face helmet if you don't want to wear the neck collar. When I rode dirt bikes the guys that had full coverage helmets got broken collar bones more often than an open face helmet.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #9
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
The neck collar will help you from getting a broken collar bone from the full coverage helmet if you have an accident. I would wear an open face helmet if you don't want to wear the neck collar. When I rode dirt bikes the guys that had full coverage helmets got broken collar bones more often than an open face helmet.
I wear open face, just feel like I can see better but have been playing around with the full coverage I know its safer. I know all too well about the collar bone, broke mine on a dirt bike when I was younger but hadn't put it together with the helmet till now. Thanks
Old 02-28-2015, 06:11 PM   #10
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

It boils down to how much your life is worth and the prospects of spending the rest of your life in a wheel chair or bed paralyzed.

With the higher weight of Stock and Super Stock cars and the speeds they are going down the track, you need better protection.

I also believe the current Aluminum seats that are being used as replacements seats, although better than the OEM seat, do not provide enough protection during impact.

Although heavier than the current Aluminum seats in use, for my new car, I am using a FIA approved seat that has been tested for high impact protection.

One of the best ideas Ford did for the CobraJets, was the use of Recaro FIA approved seats.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote