HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #1
mark weymouth

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default G/PS Mustang GT

I have been following the PS threads for some time now. My back ground is PSMCDR and FAST PS/FS class racing. My daughter is about to get rolling as a racer. This spring she will get her NHRA/IHRA Jr. licenses. Currently she is a Rocky/Central Jr. Olympic ski racer. She likes speed and cars. I figured it will be a reasonable fit for her to start drag racing during her rare free moments. And a new challenge for me to take on.

We ended up saving a PS car by buying Drake Viscome's G/PS '88 Mustang GT. It has been a fantastic starting point. We have started several updates such as a true manual steering rack to make life easier on my daughter. The car had years of successful racing under its belt but with all the fun the cylinders leaked down a bunch in some holes. We freshened the motor and it is together and ready to go back in.

We took the time to do what Ford didn't and made the engine compartment look decent and actually have paint etc. We are doing basic things while it is apart and simpler to handle now. That way, much should be fresh and starting the clock over. And with refactored hp we will be able to take advantage of the new weight limit with my daughter behind the wheel. Not a chance with me. I hope we will be able to develop a nice program that sees the car reaching new levels of performance.

We took the graphics off the car so that it will have its own personality for Olivia.

I figured the PS racers on here would appreciate another PS car will be around and running in the future. When the weather breaks this spring the car will be ready to come out and play.

It has been a lot of fun playing around with this combo, and honestly it is nice to have a complete car ready to go for so much less than what I am used to. This is the first time in a long time where I felt like I got to play around with a budget build, instead of having to build a budget.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IHRA Mustang GT 11.JPG
Views:	546
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	31813   Click image for larger version

Name:	IHRA Mustang GT 18.JPG
Views:	505
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	31814   Click image for larger version

Name:	IHRA Mustang GT 20.JPG
Views:	529
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	31815  

Last edited by mark weymouth; 12-10-2015 at 03:46 PM.
mark weymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:33 PM   #2
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts
Default Re: G/PS Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark weymouth View Post
I have been following the PS threads for some time now. My back ground is PSMCDR and FAST PS/FS class racing. My daughter is about to get rolling as a racer. This spring she will get her NHRA/IHRA Jr. licenses. Currently she is a Rocky/Central Jr. Olympic ski racer. She likes speed and cars. I figured it will be a reasonable fit for her to start drag racing during her rare free moments. And a new challenge for me to take on.

We ended up saving a PS car by buying Drake Viscome's G/PS '88 Mustang GT. It has been a fantastic starting point. We have started several updates such as a true manual steering rack to make life easier on my daughter. The car had years of successful racing under its belt but with all the fun the cylinders leaked down a bunch in some holes. We freshened the motor and it is together and ready to go back in.

We took the time to do what Ford didn't and made the engine compartment look decent and actually have paint etc. We are doing basic things while it is apart and simpler to handle now. That way, much should be fresh and starting the clock over. And with refactored hp we will be able to take advantage of the new weight limit with my daughter behind the wheel. Not a chance with me. I hope we will be able to develop a nice program that sees the car reaching new levels of performance.

We took the graphics off the car so that it will have its own personality for Olivia.

I figured the PS racers on here would appreciate another PS car will be around and running in the future. When the weather breaks this spring the car will be ready to come out and play.

It has been a lot of fun playing around with this combo, and honestly it is nice to have a complete car ready to go for so much less than what I am used to. This is the first time in a long time where I felt like I got to play around with a budget build, instead of having to build a budget.
Nice car !

D
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:54 PM   #3
impstocker

Liked 54 Times in 16 Posts

Really nice job. Super clean.

I don't want to change thread but when you mention Drake Viscome brought back memories. I grew up in Carmel, NY and as a kid I use to pedal my bike down to Carmel Ford to look at the "Carmel Ford Funnycar" Nitro fuel injected Mustang that Mr Viscome drove. 429 SOHC engine.

OK, thanks, just wanted to share that.

Will Lamprecht 65 Impala I/SA in progress-2016 debut
impstocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:11 PM   #4
black88coupe

Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts

Looks great!
black88coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:49 AM   #5
mark weymouth

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks guys. I know we started with an established car but we have put a lot of effort into it. Most everything was original factory Ford hardware. Not much of it had life left in it. From the drivetrain through the suspension and chassis, nearly everything has been updated or replaced.

Mostly now we are working on cleaning it up and making it look nice for my Bear.

Mitch, we are MI racers also. I never go to Milan, usually US131 or Stanton. On rare occasion Lapeer as it is only 35 min. north of us. Maybe we could swing down to Milan this year while you are out there.

We plan on a chassis dyno session, discussing an engine dyno session too. It is hopeful that we can muster a few ponies from a good tune. But these little girls in this class just don't have much to give. But that is what makes it a perfect starting point for my daughter.
mark weymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #6
DRAKE VISCOME

Liked 90 Times in 34 Posts

Hey Mark has done awesome job going through this car front to back...with Robbie Butler "shoeing" this lil' rascal...it set and currently still holds both 1/8 & 1/4 mile national records with IHRA...in G/PS... the bet here is Mark's daughter will "eclipse" these shortly in 2016!!!...hey Will...seems like "yesterday"... all those nitro funny car years... do see Joe Huestis regularly @ CCRA races here in Carolinas'...we've all aged...just a bit 'eh! ...hope all is well for you & family-Drake

Last edited by DRAKE VISCOME; 12-11-2015 at 01:43 PM.
DRAKE VISCOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:15 PM   #7
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAKE VISCOME View Post
Hey Mark has done awesome job going through this car front to back...with Robbie Butler "shoeing" this lil' rascal...it set and currently still holds both 1/8 & 1/4 mile national records with IHRA...in G/PS... the bet here is Mark's daughter will "eclipse" these shortly in 2016!!!...hey Will...seems like "yesterday"... all those nitro funny car years... do see Joe Huestis regularly @ CCRA races here in Carolinas'...we've all aged...just a bit 'eh! ...hope all is well for you & family-Drake
Hmmm...my car run G/PS or F/PS

Have eclipsed the 1/8 mile record in G/PS.
Not yet the 1/4, though came within 8 hundredth's.

Going through my ride too this Winter.
Be fun having a Chevy vs. Ford Heads up G/PS race.

Dan
Old 12-11-2015, 02:43 PM   #8
black88coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark weymouth View Post
Mitch, we are MI racers also. I never go to Milan, usually US131 or Stanton. On rare occasion Lapeer as it is only 35 min. north of us. Maybe we could swing down to Milan this year while you are out there.

We plan on a chassis dyno session, discussing an engine dyno session too. It is hopeful that we can muster a few ponies from a good tune. But these little girls in this class just don't have much to give. But that is what makes it a perfect starting point for my daughter.
Would be fun to get together. Just gotta check my work schedule. The tracks in our region aren't that far. I'm south of Detroit. We could come out and cheer you on. A chassis dyno session would be fun too for my wanna- be PS car.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:52 PM   #9
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Smile Re: G/PS Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by black88coupe View Post
Would be fun to get together. Just gotta check my work schedule. The tracks in our region aren't that far. I'm south of Detroit. We could come out and cheer you on. A chassis dyno session would be fun too for my wanna- be PS car.
Wow Detroit..! Though you were more local.
As far west I go is the IHRA Pittsburgh D1/9 Race.
Still Detroit a bit of a haul for that track.

Otherwise ...welcome back to the club.
Knock them down with your Mustang..

As for Dyno testing. Got a email tune.
A good dyno-tune would help.

When you get a chance send a picture of the car.
Will post on the Pure Stock Photo Gallery.

D
Old 12-11-2015, 04:51 PM   #10
black88coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fahey View Post
Wow Detroit..! Though you were more local.
As far west I go is the IHRA Pittsburgh D1/9 Race.
Still Detroit a bit of a haul for that track.

Otherwise ...welcome back to the club.
Knock them down with your Mustang..

As for Dyno testing. Got a email tune.
A good dyno-tune would help.

When you get a chance send a picture of the car.
Will post on the Pure Stock Photo Gallery.

D
Thank you. It would be great to have a class car but unfortunately its not in the cards for me. That's why I refer to mine as the wanna-be PS car. Its not the fastest thing but I'm having fun with it. 2016 will see some mild engine upgrades but nothing crazy. Also, I'll be moving some weight around as well to hopefully dial in my setup a bit more. Again Thanks. Mitch