Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 700 Times in 204 Posts
Default Re: SRAC Meeting in Gainsville

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannymen View Post
Essentially Top Sportsman and Top Dragster covers that. SS and stock lowered the indexes for performance related reasons that affect records.
Most SG cars can not run TS [Especially since a lot are roadsters] , many do not have a chassis that could pass the 25.4 spec.............., plus if I wanted to go bracket racing ,which is all TS is, I 'd go to a local track and save lot's of money!......Performance levels have advanced way beyond those that dictated the 9.90 index when it was established . ..............4 or 5 tenths off the indexs would probable not affect many racers negatively. ...............I'd love a 8.90 or 8.50 door car heads up class , similar to the Nostalga Gas classes. ...............I like dragsters , but again If I wanted them in the other lane ,I'd be bracket racing. .................My 2 cents ........Tom
Old 03-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #12
SC1448

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Question Re: SRAC Meeting in Gainesville

In a case like Gainesville where the weather virtually killed the majority of the Sportsman racing until Sunday, why not allow competitors stuck in a situation like that the opportunity to transfer their entry? With most of the fields not filling anyhow, what's the big deal? It sure would be a show of Good Faith on NHRA's part (I know, I know NHRA and "Good Faith" in the same sentence is a bad mix....) instead of just shoving the entry fee into their back pockets with nothing in return for the racer that spent the resources to attend the event.... I also agree with Ray on the 5-year chassis cert. and belts idea, especially after those timely price hikes they shoved down out throats with no warning last year.

-Don
SC1448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #13
Jeff Beckman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Beckman

The roadways to the lanes would have had inches of mud on them if this was allowed. I had to use my golf cart to get from the road (mud hole) to the motorhome and or trailer for 2 days. The Pros use these same roads to come back from their runs. It would have ruined the race period. I understand that folks want to pack up and leave. But be realistic, if we want to run at National Events, we will have to make concessions to the Pros, sorry but no one but my wife and freinds comes to see me race. The same is true for all of you (meaning your wife/ sig other and freinds) sportsman racing is not a real big draw, you have to know to much to understand it, so you grew up with or started to do so.

Lowering the class indexex will not happen in MHO, you would be asking some folks to spend money that they dont have. Not everyone wants to go faster. If you run Super Street, you can move up to Super Gas, if you run Gas you can move up to Super Comp. If your bored to tears inb Super Comp, you can go Top Dragster and or Top Sportsman racing. Still bored, go to Pro Mod or Pro Stock, or move up to Alcohol Classes, then Fuel! My point is, it is all covered. In nearly one second intervals. Speeding up the Super Catagories is almost if not completely a dead horse.

I am glad to hear mannymen runs a diaper, I have a 69 Z as well and would cry if I hurt it.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #14
slow dragster

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Jeff first off I would drive all the way to Florida to watch you as long as I was in the other lane and take the stripe by .001....ha. How many rigs pulled out on the own or how many were pulled out??

Brian
slow dragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #15
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

Mr Fordyce has a rightful question, considering most seat belts for F16, F18 are made to last ten years(mostly due to stretching and are made of the same material) belts could easily last five years. Since the inception of S/st, S/G and S/C I've enjoyed the racing but with throttle stops the fun of watching them has eroded, just this week friends were saying how much they hated watching the super classes at the Winters but loved T/s since no throttle stop were used. Could we get rid of the throttle stop or time delay and have full throttle all the way to the end. I know that a lot more people would enjoy it. Please don't use the braking argument since new braking system could stop most 747. Just me three cents.
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #16
Jeff Beckman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Beckman

Brian you won by 7/10,000 of a second not a thousand! I only saw one rig get a tug out and I watched him burry it.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #17
T Hall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicero819 View Post
Mr Fordyce has a rightful question, considering most seat belts for F16, F18 are made to last ten years(mostly due to stretching and are made of the same material) belts could easily last five years. Since the inception of S/st, S/G and S/C I've enjoyed the racing but with throttle stops the fun of watching them has eroded, just this week friends were saying how much they hated watching the super classes at the Winters but loved T/s since no throttle stop were used. Could we get rid of the throttle stop or time delay and have full throttle all the way to the end. I know that a lot more people would enjoy it. Please don't use the braking argument since new braking system could stop most 747. Just me three cents.
If it is not for you and you do not like it, go find something else to do. Some of us like it.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:46 PM   #18
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

Mr Hall I like all type of drag racing, just want to make it easier for novice to like it also. You shouldn't be upset, just see if some improvement could be modified in it for a better viewing for the paying customer. Nothing I hate more than see the stands empty when the Super's are called, it wasn't always that way before throttle stops. I can remember the first year at INDY the stand were full throughout elimination.
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:32 AM   #19
T Hall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For me.. Stock and Super Stock are the most fun to watch, but who are you kidding? Ever look in the stands at ANY event? Not like they are packing the stands either. Even during last weeks airing of the Gators on NHRA Sunday morning show, they had super stock running in the back drop. Stands were EMPTY. So dont blame classes. Besides, why as a racer do you give a **** about how many fans are in the bleachers?
Old 03-18-2010, 05:17 AM   #20
slow dragster

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Guys as far as the super classes you either like them or you hate them. Typically its the guy behind the wheel that loves it. If they take the stops off it's just a bracket race like stock/SS, unless its heads up. If I want to bracket race all the time I would stay home and go to the local tracks and drive home at night. I personally like class racing with the stop. The uneducated person does not really know what it takes to run the number. I don't know about most of you guys but for me it takes a little more then sticking a number in the box and running. I have friends who just don't understand why the car slows down then speeds up but they also don't understand why a guys leaves before the other bracket racing.

Drag racing is simple, love it or leave it. There is alot of improvement NHRA could make but any company could make improvements for it's customers in any buisness. Don't get me wrong. I bitch too about some of their practices and rules that make no sense.

Rock the Scotty rule needs to go away S/ST is as tough as S/G or S/C. The belts need a 5 year rule. etc, etc all are good changes.

Enough of the rant!
slow dragster is offline   Reply With Quote