HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #61
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Talking Re: A couple of Mopar "legality" questions...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dedman View Post
Would it work in a Gremlin???? Going from the ridiculous to the absurd, here... LOL!!!
LOL.....Id love to see that combo.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #62
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: A couple of Mopar "legality" questions...??

My last race car was a '70 AMX S/ST. It had a 451" mopar engine. Low deck 400, 440 crank and rods. Ran 9.90's@133+, 2850#'s. Great wheelie machine with only 11.5x29.5's and ladder bars. Hooker B body headers and a motor plate were all that were needed for the swap. A Hemi wouldn't be a problem. In fact, somebody built one as a pro-street.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:18 AM   #63
Bill Edgeworth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I find this to be an interesting discussion and this situation could at some point have some ramifications.
If you compare the Mopar any hood go’s situation (which I don’t think this is the situation, it’s just the tech guys probably don’t know any different they are not all walking encyclopedias of car facts) to the Pontiac combos I run the true defining difference between a “Firebird” and a “Formula” are the hoods. And at least with my stuff between the Firebird, Formula and Trans Am the same motor has the same rating in each of the vehicles. HOWEVER the shipping weights are not the same. If I want to run K/SA I have to have the flat hood or it’s not a “Firebird” with the Formula hood I can run L-N/SA but not K due to the shipping weight deal.
Going back to the Mopars I took a quick look at the 71 Challenger and the Base model and the R/T have different shipping weights and I think some of the motors were available in both models and like my Pontiac the hood is the main difference in appearance. Looking at how the weight breaks divide out I did not see anything that was real close where the hood would make a difference in the class it could run but that could come some day with horsepower adjustments. So maybe not a performance advantage other than hood weight but the situation could affect what class you can run in.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:01 PM   #64
bigshow2966

Liked 81 Times in 35 Posts
Talking Re: A couple of Mopar "legality" questions...??

71 Challenger base model would have been a Slant 6/3 speed car with probably a 7-1/4" rear end. The R/T would have at least a 340/727 and 8-3/4" rear. R/T also got bigger brakes and sway bars. Lots of weight difference there for sure.
bigshow2966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:26 AM   #65
Frito

Liked 116 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rolik View Post
Let's see, a Hemi in an AMX.

Trying to handle that sounds like Wild Willie Borsch and his one-armed approach with the legendary AA/FA roadster years ago. So go for it already!

Bill Rolik

SS 1514
I know of two that were competitive!! Markusic & Huntsinger from Columbus, Ohio took the hemi out of their 67 Super Stocker and put it in an AMX. Also Ray Snowden of Ashland, Kentucky. Both were in the mid 70's.
Frito is offline   Reply With Quote