HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 03-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #1
Mike Meier

Liked 40 Times in 8 Posts
Default HP Tuners help at Division 4 race

I will be attending the Lucas Oil Race at Baytown with my DF/S Chevy Cobalt. I purchased HP Tuners and have it set up on my lap top.

I don't know what 99% of the stuff does and the one thing that I could figure out (telling fan to come on at lower temperature) didn't work.

Would anyone be able to stop on by and assist in showing / explaining how some of these things work?
Old 03-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
Rat Raceway

Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Rat Raceway
Default Re: HP Tuners help at Division 4 race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Meier View Post
I will be attending the Lucas Oil Race at Baytown with my DF/S Chevy Cobalt. I purchased HP Tuners and have it set up on my lap top.

I don't know what 99% of the stuff does and the one thing that I could figure out (telling fan to come on at lower temperature) didn't work.

Would anyone be able to stop on by and assist in showing / explaining how some of these things work?

Not to rain on your paraid... You are not going to get much of anything out of a crash cource at the track...

Take a look at https://thetuningschool.com/

Good friend just did the home class and said it was it was well worth the money.

I spent many hours with a good friend that is a good loacl tuner and have been to the Holley EFI class.

Its not a overnight deal and if you don't know what you are doing to can blow up a motor/trans or brick the PCM.

Hope this helps.
Rat Raceway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:06 PM   #3
Jim Hanig

Liked 97 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Raceway View Post
Not to rain on your paraid... You are not going to get much of anything out of a crash cource at the track...

Take a look at https://thetuningschool.com/

Good friend just did the home class and said it was it was well worth the money.

I spent many hours with a good friend that is a good loacl tuner and have been to the Holley EFI class.

Its not a overnight deal and if you don't know what you are doing to can blow up a motor/trans or brick the PCM.

Hope this helps.
If it were me id call Ed Wright
Jim Hanig is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-19-2019, 02:48 PM   #4
Rat Raceway

Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Rat Raceway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hanig View Post
If it were me id call Ed Wright

Does Ed tech or offer classes?
Rat Raceway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #5
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Your using a GM factory computer? A FAST XFI is much better, for many reasons.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:24 AM   #6
Mike Meier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Your using a GM factory computer? A FAST XFI is much better, for many reasons.

Factory computer.

Reducing the heat soak is my #1 priority. More torque to the ground is #2 but that's too advanced for me.

Most of my bracket runs have been at about 185 - 190 degrees sitting in the stage beams. I have a 180 degree thermostat. Factory setting to turn the fan on was something in the 220's or 230's.

While jumping back and forth between this an You Tube I think I may have figured out how to change the fan settings but it will have to wait till the morning for me to flash to the car because you know.....11:15 PM.....neighbors.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:32 PM   #7
cmracing

Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts

I would pull ALL of the stock wiring out of that car and install a dedicated aftermarket EFI system. I don't know about the FAST setup doing an electronic trans, but the Holley Dominator will, plus it can control a DBW throttle body.

There is a TON of stuff buried within the stock ECM/BCM that you can easily destroy your trans if you don't know what you are doing. Simply getting the engine too cold and making a pass can kill your line pressure in your trans...............

Good luck.
cmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-23-2019, 12:59 AM   #8
Mike Meier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmracing View Post
I would pull ALL of the stock wiring out of that car and install a dedicated aftermarket EFI system. I don't know about the FAST setup doing an electronic trans, but the Holley Dominator will, plus it can control a DBW throttle body.

There is a TON of stuff buried within the stock ECM/BCM that you can easily destroy your trans if you don't know what you are doing. Simply getting the engine too cold and making a pass can kill your line pressure in your trans...............

Good luck.
An aftermarket EFI will cost almost as much as the car itself, which completely goes against the point of this project (throw together a budget FWD stocker in a few weeks because the chassis shop can't get to my dragster until the summer but the bulk of Division 4's schedule is March / April).

I already have a program that should get the job done.

During my qualifying runs, someone had confirmed something from outside the car which I had started to notice while making runs; and that's the car acting like it was on a throttle stop when it launched. I floor the gas pedal, it goes to 2,000 RPM. I let off the brake, car "launches" but stays at 2,000 RPM for a couple moments. It must be traction control but I don't know how to disable it using this program. Getting to WOT quicker will help me sixty-foot better and get my reaction times out of the .100's.

Don't want $2,000 solutions or to attend SAM Tech to solve this problem. Need someone to give advice on how to fix or will even pay for someone's services to resolve this issue.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:37 PM   #9
Steve Dziorny

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Is HP Tuners even an accepted product for Stock?
Old 03-23-2019, 01:01 PM   #10
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,417 Times in 1,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dziorny View Post
Is HP Tuners even an accepted product for Stock?
Why wouldn't it be? It's a stock computer.