HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
Mike Voth
Live Reporter

Liked 40 Times in 13 Posts
Default Edelbrock QuikData

Have any of you who use the QuikData data aquisition unit, experienced a loss of communication during setup download? All of a sudden, we cannot connect to the laptop, as the error message read "unable to establish connection". Edelbrock says there's nothing wrong with the unit, and the cables all check good. I wonder if there is a COM port problem, or just a general error in one of the software files. Maybe we should just buy a RacePak. Any advice???

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Last edited by Mike Voth; 04-21-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Mike Voth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
Mike Graham

Liked 299 Times in 56 Posts
Default Re: Edelbrock QuikData

If you are using a usb to serial adapter that is most likely the problem. A lot of them don't work well with the quick data. We finally gave up and bought a $25 laptop that still had a RS232 port. It has worked flawlessly since.
Mike Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
B Aceves

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Wink Re: Edelbrock QuikData

Mike,
We had a few issues with the Quick Data when we first fired it up on a new install. First after a few times of lossing communtication on live data display we traced all the wires from the Com plug coming from the unit to find after removing the plug cover and a slight tug on the wires the one communication wire pulled from the plug and was not clipped in all the way due to the terminal lock was broken off from the factory.
Second issue was if you have changed any of the port configurations or re assigned them a new name it caused nothing but problems it was fixed by going into the start up section and re flash with the original setup configurations. Also if this is a new install make sure in the setup that you follow the directions for all the software downloads needed before start up. Other than that the unit has worked fine since. Hope This helps. Last time I called Eddelbrock tech line the Data guy was no longer working for them!! CUTBACKS.
B Aceves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Mike Voth
Live Reporter

Not a new install. We've used this system for several years with no problems. It was communicating just fine at Dallas for the first two runs, then, on the next, told us there was no data stored for download. During this time (still connected, tried to re-upload data to the unit, said no communication. Tried to re-establish communication with no luck (as it we had the switch off for main power to the car). We've never changed port configurations, but that doesn't mean there'e not a registry issue on the hard drive either. I think I'll try to reinstall the software and see if that doesn't fix it. Tried to remove the program first, but it won't let me due to a "corrupt file". Might be on to something. Thanks guys, for your help.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
Mike Voth
Live Reporter

We are using a USB to serial port adapter. Might consider a change there, too! Might also be leaning toward a RacePak. The QuikData just doesn't have a fast enough sample rate, and we see a lot of false data in the way of "spikes" and "flatlines". The RacePak is much more advanced and samples the data much more smoothly and acurately. ie clutch slip
Old 04-20-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
Tim Kish

Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

It doesn't help fix your problem but I get a lot of false data and spikes in my FAST data logs since switching to a new laptop and having to use USB-serial adapters.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
J DeForrest

Liked 74 Times in 18 Posts

Sounds like adaptor to me also.

Anybody know of a 'good' usb to serial adaptor ? Something that has never had any problems? I have been getting the same thing with BigStuff3 since using the usb adaptor with my newer laptop. Most of the time it's fine, other times I need to retry or refire to get the run log, or re-program.

Thanks, Jason
Old 04-20-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 803 Times in 213 Posts

The adapter that is recommended by MSD was and may still be is called iogear usb serial adapter part number GUC232A. I use the one from my MSD box to my laptop . Keep in mind sometimes I have to look for the port it is using . Some times I have my laptop off with the box connected and on, then i turn on my laptop and the ports seem to find each other I think .Not sure if this would help other devices but it so far is another option for all to spend more money on Lol at me

.a person can buy the adapter on line is best I hope this link works
http://www.shopiogear.com/detail/IOG+GUC232A

Last edited by Don Kennedy; 04-21-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Don Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
Mike Voth
Live Reporter

Upon reinstalling the software, we now have communication again, albeit, 4 out of 5 times tried. We wiggled the USB cable from the laptop all the way down to the QuikData, and got it to communicate. We had a driveshaft vibration last year that was very violent above 4,000 RPM, and dad could hardly hold the shifter. We might have a connection issue in the wiring cause by that vibration. It does sound like, however, that we should take DK's advice and get the recommended adapter from MSD. That might correct the problem.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #10
B Aceves

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Cool,
if you give it the wiggle test I have had issue with my work laptop that uses a USB adaptor
to send data for engine info and it is usually is a failure at the adaptor. On the Race Car we use straight USB connection just because of that issue. Now you can find a laptop cheap enough to use USB if thats possible. It also will upload data to the laptop faster threw USB just some food for thought.
On the other car that is also a stocker it has a Autometer Data logger and there was issues with
that one also in the beggining but now he can not use a new laptop with windows vista due to a conflict with the software and its too expensive too upgrade. My point is I think they all will have issue's at some point and its only going to get harder when all the software keeps changing I think the best bet is to keep one Laptop with minimum software and dedicated only to Car Data. Just my 2 cents.
B Aceves is offline   Reply With Quote