HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-18-2015, 04:16 PM   #11
Jim Kaekel
VIP Member

Liked 498 Times in 104 Posts
Default Re: NHRA regulates off track behavior.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn Smith View Post
In the segment that had the Ok. guys racing the Chicago guys, it sure looked like they were racing on the street just north of the RT 66 track.Why doesnt NHRA get involved and offer the street guys some nice, safe track to race on.In my opinion it would be alot more entertaining if 75% of the races were not decided by someone going up in smoke,jumping the flashlight,(when is he going to get run over?),or getting real loose down track!!!Let the fastest car really win.
Lyn: It was filmed right next to the track on Schweitzer Rd. I recognized it and saw a Gate sign for the track in the background. Kind of makes the show look like a joke when you see that.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #12
Bimbo Jones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's about money, CYA, and perception. Perception is more important than fact in this media driven world and money makes things happen. These guys are getting too much action of the pie. When an major sponsor pulls out of your program in favor of product placement on a different program. It would get my attention also. Why would any business play X amount of dollars to be an major sponsor the exposure it receives on TV and payout of contingencies when the same said company could provide the fraction cash layout and some clever product placement on another TV venue and get four times the amount of eye balls seeing their product. Which most of these eye balls will never compete in an National or Divisional event. The CYA part is obvious why they have to condemn it.
Bimbo Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:37 PM   #13
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

Perhaps what really upset NHRA was that the car had the NHRA number, etc. displayed on it.
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:39 PM   #14
cal

Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via AIM to cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGT Mustang View Post
It's not a right. It's a privilege. Just like a driver's license, which is also not a right, meaning it can be taken away from you at any time.
You know I have always had a problem with that wordage.

Driving is not a privilege, it is my right as a citizen of the USA to obtain a driver license.
Now if I miss use that right it can be taken away.

Just like walking down the street or going from state to state is not a privilege, It is my Right as a citizen of the USA.

Yes there are rules and laws to follow, and if I break them you can have these right also taken away. Put in jail, pay big fines ECT ECT ...

But these are our rights as citizen of this GREAT country.

OK I'm done running my mouth now, just had to get that off my chest

Cal
S/ST HR 1177
cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:48 PM   #15
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 655 Times in 255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGT Mustang View Post
NHRA screws up a lot, but this is not one of those times. I think that it's kind of refreshing to see an organization actually take a stand against something that is in total conflict with its founding principles.

Regardless that the whole thing is staged, or whatever, it's the idea of street racing and glorifying it that seems to be the issue.

I think the show is just stupid. I certainly can't watch it or any of other show like it. There's plenty of idiotic kids out there already racing on the street thinking that it's cool and trying to live some douchebag fantasy. I think that the last thing anybody needs is to encourage more of the same.

Kudos to NHRA.
Then all the Fast and Furious movies should not have been made by your thinking. Kids gravitate towards appearances towards the cars in the movies with there role racing, donuts, racing in traffic and swerving in and out of lanes. SO and what kids today do on the street is very different. Fast and Furious and what kids do today on the street are very much the same. I didn't see a letter written from NHRA to the producers.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:49 PM   #16
Jim Craig

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

perhaps NHRA ought to buy some ad time during the 4 hour time slot (of "Motor Mondays" on Discovery) touting the advantages and benefits of being a member of the NHRA, they'd sure as hell be getting more looks at their prospective audience then they get on any given Saturday night at 2 am or Sunday night at 10. Got to look at it from the marketing side....it's all about the benjamins' and those guys are garning the most of it right now....it'll fade (as far as TV), but I believe the smart (and quiet) money is on them -- it's the automotive aftermarket "golden" demographics and if you're in the business you've got to be there one way, shape, form or another.....just keep this in perspective.....the same network brings you the Amish Mafia and Moonshiners' and they brought Jesse James and the American Chopper guys to a whole 'nother level.
Jim Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:09 PM   #17
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
You know I have always had a problem with that wordage.

Driving is not a privilege, it is my right as a citizen of the USA to obtain a driver license.
Now if I miss use that right it can be taken away.

Just like walking down the street or going from state to state is not a privilege, It is my Right as a citizen of the USA.

Yes there are rules and laws to follow, and if I break them you can have these right also taken away. Put in jail, pay big fines ECT ECT ...

But these are our rights as citizen of this GREAT country.

OK I'm done running my mouth now, just had to get that off my chest

Cal
S/ST HR 1177
But driving is not a right; it's a privilege. As a citizen, you have the right to apply for a driver's license under equal protection of the law, but is is not a right that you can get in your car and operate it on public roads. It is a privilege you earn once you have shown that you know the laws, you agree to abide by the laws and you prove that you can operate a vehicle in a manner that does not endanger others or compromise the rights of others. Then you are given the privelege to operate a vehicle on public highways where the safety and rights of others will be observed. If you do not continue to operate your vehicle within the laws and guidelines that govern it, then the public authority (the government) will revoke your privileges. They do not take away your right to drive. You would still have the right to drive your vehicle somewhere beside publicly governed property, but you do not have the privilege to drive on public roads. In that manner, it is not a right. It is not even a right to walk down the street if you are going to do so in a manner that infringes on the rights or safety of others.

In like manner, NHRA is not "taking away rights" from these people. They are exercising their right to protect their image, reputation and standards that are explicitly stated in their membership material. Those standards are what you agree with to become a member. It's like unions restricting members from working on jobs or for others who do not observe union standards; you can go do the work if you want, but you won't be a union member if you do. An NHRA membership is not a "right" to race at NHRA's events. It is an extension to you of a privilege to participate. If you choose to not adhere to their membership standards, then they have the right to revoke that privilege.

Last edited by Dwight Southerland; 02-18-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Dwight Southerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:17 PM   #18
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts

NHRA is upset because it is upstaging their own TV Nationals Program
The Funny Cars and AA Fueler and Pro Stockers are not getting top billing.

I seen a golden opportunity...!!

Another Pinks like Street Car Outlaw program.

There are a lot of shut down and active Tracks that could capitalize on this Street Racer fad..

It is huge but there is nobody upstairs with the Drag Racing Management and Marketing skill to capitalize on this.

Just like them ignoring COMP, Super Stock and Stock...

Street Outlaws maybe hanging five on legality.
I like the intrigue..
Yeah we know it is staged....grow it !!!

Dan
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #19
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Dwight is correct.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:56 PM   #20
j gardiner

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

if NHRA was smart they would figure out how to capitalize on the shows success and use it to steer fans to the racetrack. Their are already some no prep races going on now they should jump all over that. Advertise on the show and get them to come to the track instead of sending out stupid letters threatening people all that is going to do is drive people away. They are just creating more of a outlaw image for those guys. It just makes NHRA look like big brother trying to bully people.
j gardiner is offline   Reply With Quote