HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-18-2015, 01:01 PM   #1
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 321 Times in 101 Posts
Default NHRA regulates off track behavior.........

This was posted in the Lounge Area, but I think ALL NHRA members should know their rights are being taken away......

This regulates away from track behavior....

http://classracer.com/classforum/sho...294#post462294

Take a look and think about it........

Bob
Old 02-18-2015, 01:35 PM   #2
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts
Default Re: NHRA regulates off track behavior.........

I was asked to post this last night, but I declined,,...seeing that it was about a TV show that I know or care nothing (ZERO) about... but anyway, here it is:

http://www.dragzine.com/news/street-...se-suspension/
Old 02-18-2015, 01:46 PM   #3
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

Representing this as "their rights are being taken away" is a distortion. Nobody's rights are being threatened by NHRA's action. The racer in this incident can still carry on his life as he wishes even if it includes continuing to participate in illegal street racing. However, it is not a right to belong to NHRA, race at an NHRA event, or participate in the NHRA in any way. Private organizations do this kind of action all the time. Ask Michael Vick, Ray Rice, Pete Rose, Mike Tyson or any other of the many sports figures whose activities in their private life has affected their role in their respective sports organizations. I'm with NHRA on this one.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:59 PM   #4
njk53

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I always thought the shows on TV that show so called illegal street racing were staged events with the local authorities having full knowledge as to what is going on. I can't believe you can bring in a production crew from the Discovery Channel, have all of those people and race cars gathered about without attracting law enforcement like flies on garbage. They do race on the street but the roads are secured so someone can't wander into the race area. Maybe it is the perception of being illegal is what the NHRA doesn't like.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:10 PM   #5
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 654 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njk53 View Post
I always thought the shows on TV that show so called illegal street racing were staged events with the local authorities having full knowledge as to what is going on. I can't believe you can bring in a production crew from the Discovery Channel, have all of those people and race cars gathered about without attracting law enforcement like flies on garbage. They do race on the street but the roads are secured so someone can't wander into the race area. Maybe it is the perception of being illegal is what the NHRA doesn't like.
^^This is correct 100%
Jeff Stout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:32 PM   #6
Lyn Smith
VIP Member

Liked 841 Times in 156 Posts

In the segment that had the Ok. guys racing the Chicago guys, it sure looked like they were racing on the street just north of the RT 66 track.Why doesnt NHRA get involved and offer the street guys some nice, safe track to race on.In my opinion it would be alot more entertaining if 75% of the races were not decided by someone going up in smoke,jumping the flashlight,(when is he going to get run over?),or getting real loose down track!!!Let the fastest car really win.

Last edited by Lyn Smith; 02-18-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Lyn Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:41 PM   #7
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts

NHRA screws up a lot, but this is not one of those times. I think that it's kind of refreshing to see an organization actually take a stand against something that is in total conflict with its founding principles.

Regardless that the whole thing is staged, or whatever, it's the idea of street racing and glorifying it that seems to be the issue.

I think the show is just stupid. I certainly can't watch it or any of other show like it. There's plenty of idiotic kids out there already racing on the street thinking that it's cool and trying to live some douchebag fantasy. I think that the last thing anybody needs is to encourage more of the same.

Kudos to NHRA.
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:43 PM   #8
Chris1529
VIP Member

Liked 57 Times in 27 Posts

The first line of the paragraph in the letter where they are citing the rulebook clearly states " Participants at events...."

To me, the clear intent of that rule is when you are participating AT an "NHRA" event.
That is a big stretch to apply the rules in that paragraph to anything a member does when they aren't at an event. I agree that rights are being taken away here.

Last edited by Chris1529; 02-18-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Chris1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:57 PM   #9
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts

It's not a right. It's a privilege. Just like a driver's license, which is also not a right, meaning it can be taken away from you at any time.
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #10
CMcAllister

Liked 738 Times in 206 Posts

I'm with NHRA on this one. Of course the show is staged and made for TV, but the average person, lounging on the sofa watching, may not know that. You want to participate in this "show"? Take the NHRA identification, numbers, etc. off the car. I don't want to be associated with this stupidity either.
CMcAllister is online now   Reply With Quote