HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #21
Dennis P Chapman
VIP Member

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts
Default Re: ISLAND DRAG-WAY..Hackettstown NJ-Good news.

In the 70 and 80 when Mrs K was cooking in snack stand they did have good cheese burgers.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #22
Kevin Panzino

Liked 550 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
it ain't back, they've got no money and are asking for donations of $ and time. They've got no EMS and again are asking for charity, they've got no fuel supplier, no credit, no insurance, no sanctioning body and the state police will NOT allow them to operate without it.

They are far from back!!!
I dont want to get caught up in this internet argument, but I'd like to know what exactly the State Police would have input on regarding racing operations on private property? What are you saying the state police will not allow them to operate without? I'm not talking about permits, zoning, noise, or anything else local, or county, or insurance related.
You stated the State Police wont allow them to operate. What is the legal position of which the state police have authority that you are referring to?
Kevin Panzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #23
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 400 Times in 191 Posts

The State Police have sole jurisdiction over sanctioned drag racing in New jersey and infact have been a frequent visitor to island dragway for years.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #24
ss wannabee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I believe 1320 is correct on the State Police issue....

One benefit of having Island open again...besides an extra place to race...is it might
"slim-down" the car counts at the other 2 NJ tracks...speeding up the programs
there a bit...maybe allowing for an extra "time shot" at those tracks?

Do hope that some of the family is retained in the future operation...and they go
by the "mom and pop" family approach set forth by Mr. and Mrs. K in the past...

Remember one visit back in the '80's...think Mrs. K was cooking her Polish recipes
at the snack booth...there were several crockpots...I know she had keilbasa!

I was "fiddlin" with the car too much...and didn't have the time to sample...

Want to go back for some...Mellissa and Kathy....are you listening?
ss wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #25
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Car counts are already pretty slim.....

The only reason things go slowly at E-Town is somedays they have a wide array of cars...like this past Sunday...

Add some Test and Tune and blowup and wreck No Time crap, and the cleanup time drags the day out......

I am all for Island re-opening....but not if it is going to be barely adequate as a racetrack.....

Maybe the test and tune crowd will be happy but I assure you the serious racers would not be....
Old 06-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #26
1320racer
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
I am all for Island re-opening....but not if it is going to be barely adequate as a racetrack.....

Maybe the test and tune crowd will be happy but I assure you the serious racers would not be....
Exactly!

I read comments from those that want it to reopen, here, other boards and on facebook and 99.9% of them are NOT/have NOT been weekly racers, weekly supporters, weekly customers as I have for 2 decades and Rich who has raced there far longer than I. Some haven't been to island in decades.

I too have great memories racing there. I learned to race there as many in NJ have including my wife and son, some of which had gone onto being professional drag racers and some of my closest friends today I first met there.

But that was then and this is now and what has happen there has been a long time coming. It is the result of Kathy's and prior to 2011 her ex husband doings as RJDUDEK stated on facebook and IMO and many others who like me have raced there weekly for a long time, can't be fixed by leasing the track to an operator or Kathy's daughter Melissa.

That said, makes no difference to me, I won't be back, I've moved on after the conclusion of the 2010 season after racing there just about every weekend since 1991 as well being a member of their bracket finals team most years from 1997 through 2010 and neither will the numerous racers that have either left on their own, or been told over the years if you don't like it here, go somewhere else. They along with many of the remaining weekly island bracket racers are now racing at one or more of the far better four tracks in the area,most of which are run by owners and managers that understand business, understand that we are the customer and provide us with a safer, more friendly, race experience as well greater rewards for our efforts.

Last edited by 1320racer; 06-13-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #27
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 822 Times in 264 Posts
Smile Re: ISLAND DRAG-WAY..Hackettstown NJ-Good news.

Quote:
The State Police have sole jurisdiction over sanctioned drag racing in New jersey and infact have been a frequent visitor to island dragway for years.
So if it is an unsanctioned track do state police have jurisdiction over it?
Old 06-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #28
1320racer
VIP Member

According to my sources, they can NOT operate as an outlaw track in NJ but I have also heard they might try as well I have heard if they do, the State Police will be there to shut them down.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #29
J.LISA

Liked 13 Times in 2 Posts
Talking Re: ISLAND DRAG-WAY..Hackettstown NJ-Good news.

Quote:
According to my sources, they can NOT operate as an outlaw track in NJ but I have also heard they might try as well I have heard if they do, the State Police will be there to shut them down.
Ed,as much as I hate to do this to ya (lol)
As of today island is a go with the state
And with NHRA. Just waiting on the town.
J.LISA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #30
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

I was also told earlier this week they would be NHRA again....
Past unpaid fees would be forgiven and a half year fee would get them back in the fold....

And they may be able to send a team to the bracket finals and that would appeal to some racers. I would bet the regulars would be back there in a heartbeat......

Personally I see no reason to spew hatred at them at all....what purpose does it serve....NONE....is the answer....

I was always treated very well there... had a scrape or two with management but thats to be expected in a competitive arena like racing....

Anyone with a brain knows it is very difficult to run a dragstrip.....and please everyone...just like it is in any retail business......