HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #11
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: Anyone test Renegade fuel ?

After changing the tune up, mine likes C11. I have never had a problem with fuel check. Even after sitting in plastic fuel jugs for the winter.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #12
Signman

Liked 198 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
After changing the tune up, mine likes C11. I have never had a problem with fuel check. Even after sitting in plastic fuel jugs for the winter.

Ed, What is your routine when storing the car for a few weeks between races?
Was told with VP it is wise to fog the engine with Marvel Mystery Oil. This involves changing to old plugs for the fog down. At the next race restart with old plugs when MMO burns off install good plugs.
I run a fuel injected car also and wonder about the caustic chemicals in VP.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
Charles Rainey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hill View Post
Renegade is not a refiner. I bought two drums last year one checked like Sunoco 110 and one checked like competition fuel 114. I think they buy fuel from different refineries snd re- sell it. Be careful because you won't always know what you're getting.
I will have to agree with Greg here. Very few companies have the resources to be a refinery so that they can control their on fuels. Most purchase on a contract that could change from contract to contract. They can control their additives and request that what they get meet certain requirements---buuut it may get changed in a pinch. I have several friends that sale fuel but to me that means very little in that they sale what they get. Fuel is like oil, you sale what is sent to you and take for granted that it is what you paid for. Very few, if any, can check the fuel to see if and what it is. That takes away nothing from the seller but it is what it is. But I do hope this Renegade is as good as what people say. We need that competition in this fuel dollar society. Racers seem to bear the brunt of fuel costs.
charles
Charles Rainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
Mike Croley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
VP has a high pop-off rate (ie., unstable). I've had Sunoco laying around from one year to the next with no issues.

I think many of the 'new' names in the fuel business are offshoots from when the Torco empire crashed. I found Torco to be very similar to Sunoco. Good fuel, and stable.

Remember when testing different fuels you may need to change your jetting. Different fuels can have different sized fuel molecules, changing your mixture.
Michael is correct as usual . Changing to different brands of race gas , even the same octane rating , will sometimes require a jet change and always requires checking the float levels . The jet change is only required if the specific gravity ( density ) of the fuels differs by more than 2% . For instance going from .710 SG to .715 SG would require no jet change . However , going from .710 SG to .721 ( or the other way around ) would probably require a change in jetting of 1 step . The plug readings will be your guide .And any change at all in specific gravity means it would be a good idea to check the float levels in the carb (s) .
Mike Croley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #15
Mike Croley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Rainey View Post
I will have to agree with Greg here. Very few companies have the resources to be a refinery so that they can control their on fuels. Most purchase on a contract that could change from contract to contract. They can control their additives and request that what they get meet certain requirements---buuut it may get changed in a pinch. I have several friends that sale fuel but to me that means very little in that they sale what they get. Fuel is like oil, you sale what is sent to you and take for granted that it is what you paid for. Very few, if any, can check the fuel to see if and what it is. That takes away nothing from the seller but it is what it is. But I do hope this Renegade is as good as what people say. We need that competition in this fuel dollar society. Racers seem to bear the brunt of fuel costs.
charles
Renegade is as good as people say . The single most important aspect of race gas is quality control . And as Alan said in an earlier post , some companies seem to take quality control from batch to batch and drum to drum pretty lightly . Close enough shouldn't be acceptable or accepted .
Old 02-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #16
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signman View Post
Ed, What is your routine when storing the car for a few weeks between races?
Was told with VP it is wise to fog the engine with Marvel Mystery Oil. This involves changing to old plugs for the fog down. At the next race restart with old plugs when MMO burns off install good plugs.
I run a fuel injected car also and wonder about the caustic chemicals in VP.

Thanks
Frank, I think fogging it is a good idea with any fuel. I've never had any problems with plug either. Mine clean right up. Maybe I don't fog mine as heavy?
Old 02-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #17
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 398 Times in 189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Croley View Post
Renegade is as good as people say .
But are they a refiner/are they producing the fuel or buying the fuel and reselling and if not a refiner who is making the fuel they sell?

Never heard of them until a few months ago.

As for Torco, used it one time and never again. Leaked past my carb gaskets and stained my intake manifold. Sunoco nor VP have ever done that.

Last edited by 1320racer; 02-23-2012 at 05:20 PM.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #18
drace69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Anyone test Renegade fuel ?

Not to get off the subject but I am curious if any of you Stk/SS racers have taken up the cause of getting E-85 and/or E-98 as an approved fuel option?

The stuff works awesome and is cheap relative to VP or the like. Cooling aspect is great. Consistency is incredible. Readily available @ around $3.00/gal.

Seems it would be a Win/Win as long as the fuel check wouldn't be an issue but I would think they should be able to figure that out - they do for the other "Approved" fuels and like with VP it is hardly a consistent system anyway.

Been running it for a few years in my bracket car and Love it - no babysitting/draining etc... like methanol, I can buy out of the blender pump and have never had it check more than 1% over/under the E-85 standard.

1st year out with it won a track championship. So had no issues with getting it to work.

Like I said just curious.
drace69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #19
SS 230

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I ran Renegade 112 for the first time at the Orlando div. race. To my knowledge I was the only one running it, I was also the only one to fail fuel check. The fuel checked 6 numbers off what it was supposed to be. Checked the car twice and each jug once,for a total of 4 times. So I pumped it out and cleaned the system completely, put fresh VP C-12 in. Made 2nd qual. pass, fuel checked fine, picked up .09 hund. and 2 mph. The R-112 came right out of the drum that I watched the guy open , the same place that I always buy my fuel from. This was also the first time that I have failed fuel check.
SS 230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #20
Mike Croley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually i know of 11 racers that used Renegade at Orlando , might have been more . And you are the only one that had problems that i know of so there might be a specific problem with your fuel . You mention that you cleaned the entire fuel system after using the Renegade . Did you clean the entire system before filling it with Renegade ? As you know , any residual brand x fuel will change the readings of the new fuel substantially . The testing that NHRA does is very sensitive .
And the huge increase in performance you say you saw when switching back to the fuel you've been using makes me think there was something else going on . You wouldn't see any increase whatsoever by switching from Renegade 112 to C-12 , most likely the opposite in fact .
Send me a PM about where and when you bought the Renegade Fuel , and give me the specifics of the fuel check you say you failed . I will look into it .