Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #21
GEORGE PETERSON

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Racepak for stick cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hoven View Post
Has anyone put this sensor in a Gforce G-101 4 speed? Is there a good way of doing it?
Todd,

G-Force can supply a bearing retainer fitted with a bung that will accept the sensor. They can also supply the necessary sealed input bearing.

George Peterson
D/S 4448
GEORGE PETERSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #22
Damn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Jerico modified for Racepak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kelly View Post
A top and bottom loader Jerico modified for Racepak sensor by re-machining the cast-in fill plug boss.
Dallas, did you machine this yourself (magnet collar on the shaft) or did you farm it out to someone else ? We are class rule restricted to T5's and Tremec's and I am want to mount a sensor for the input shaft data logging on our G Force T5. Because of the transmission design and no one making a sealed tapered bearing, G Force prefers not to help us with this project
Damn Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #23
Damn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Madison View Post
The oil has not effected mine. I run the sensor about .030 from the collar. Todd Payton has suggested that if there where problems with interference from the gear oil I could use Racepaks 12v powered sensor.

If there where enough interest I would consider making a kit that would include the collar, sensor adaptor and drilling guide.

Mark Madison
Mark you have a PM
Old 04-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #24
Jim Hawkins

Liked 109 Times in 32 Posts

I have a input sensor on my jerico in my ss/i car that is exactly like the one Mark built for his. I did alot of research and no one makes a kit to do this, including jerico. There is no way we could see to mount it to read directly off the input shaft. My machinest made a slip collar with a magnet that installs on the cluster. We drilled and tapped a 1/2 hole in the case and used a 1/2 bolt with the center machined and tapped to accept the sensor. My trans. is a older bottom loader and was easy to set up with that bottom cover removed. I use a computech system and it will convert the main drive ratio to 1:1. I have a new jerico trans. that was just finished last week and they installed the collar and drilled the case for me. The new trans. does not have the bottom cover so need to install sensor and collar as the trans was being built. This has worked well and have seen a few others done the same way.
Jim Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:15 PM   #25
Damn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jim, we were looking at our T5 case and most likely will have to mount the sensor to where it will read off of the cluster shaft as well. We are using a Racepak Sportsman box and will have to see if it will convert to the main shaft speed as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T5 1.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	23246   Click image for larger version

Name:	g force case.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	23247  
Old 04-06-2014, 08:16 AM   #26
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
Jim, we were looking at our T5 case and most likely will have to mount the sensor to where it will read off of the cluster shaft as well. We are using a Racepak Sportsman box and will have to see if it will convert to the main shaft speed as well.
Mark provided us with his pattern for the jerico. If you can make a collar and drill and tap the case, it works great! I am sure that the same principle will work. You will have to see where it can all fit in there! It helps to have a friend with machinist skills. Easy work for them to figure out. I like being able to figure out when and how long the clutch slips. If you do that and if you have data from kyle carruthers clutch dyno, it makes life easier as far as clutch tuning is concerned. Especially if you have to adjust for heads up vs. Elims or track conditions.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #27
Damn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you James
Old 04-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #28
John Nechiporchik

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

Yes.....The Racepak sportsman can easily be configured to convert a cluster shaft mounted sensor to 1:1 for the input shaft. You need to know the number of teeth on the input gear and the cluster to do the math. Mine was 29/20 for a 1.45 ratio.
You need to change one number in the clutch configuration table to make this happen.
I bought my sensors from Greg Kelley(the guy that started this thread). He walked me through the process to re-configure in about 2 minutes.This, of course assumes you already installed the sensor in your Racepak/Laptop.
Greg can also help with this if you have any questions.
Also, in the configuration program, make sure you indicate if you have one or two magnets in your collar.(pulses per revolution).
John Nechiporchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #29
Damn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guys this is all great input and is much appreciated. A friend of mine who I helped crew with had the typical G Force deal reading his input shaft speed from the front bearing retainer on his GF5 but I knew the T5 would be different. Again all reply's are much appreciated !!!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #30
Dallas Kelly

Liked 85 Times in 21 Posts
Default Re: Jerico modified for Racepak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
Dallas, did you machine this yourself (magnet collar on the shaft) or did you farm it out to someone else ? We are class rule restricted to T5's and Tremec's and I am want to mount a sensor for the input shaft data logging on our G Force T5. Because of the transmission design and no one making a sealed tapered bearing, G Force prefers not to help us with this project
"Damn Yankee" sorry to take so long to answer.
No, I did not do the machine work myself. Chuck Buckshorn, friend, excellent machinist and long-time racer, actually made all the pieces. During the layout process, we discovered that the fill plug boss lined up, laterally, with where we needed to be on the cluster. The case was externally milled to adjust the angular alignment to the countershaft center line. I bought a length of, I believe, 1" aluminum hex rod that was machined into a combination fill plug/sensor adapter with o-ring seals. The split ring is very straight forward since there just is not sufficient clearance to allow very much variation of dimensions. I sold both of the modified Jerico transmissions without verifying that the design would work. However, the Jericos were replaced with Libertys, also modified by Chuck and they work with the standard Racepak clutch sensor and a single magnet in the countershaft split ring.
Dallas Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote