HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-01-2009, 09:54 PM   #21
John Mason

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Re: Sorenson 1.408 under at Boise

Kinda fell into a buzz saw, right Chuck?
As to weight adjustment prior to scales, let me give you a scenerio. You have a B/SA and run another B/SA in eliminations. They beat you by .01 (ignore reaction times) and, just before the scales, someone hands them a 25 lb. bar which they put under the seat. They are OK by 5 lbs.
Is that legal?
Of course not.
Adjusting weight after a run for any reason is not in keeping with the spirit of the rules. That being said, I've got a lot of respect for the Sorensons, and I understand why they did it. The AHFS makes little sense. It would take little effort to write a computer program that converts ET to match actual DA at the time of the run rather than to an arbitrary factor. We do it all the time with our weather stations.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #22
OLD GUY

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Sorenson 1.408 under at Boise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
Dave ; I'm glad you are alive and well. Hope its not true about Hal.
Larry,
Good to hear from you. Noticed you put the cuda in "A" . I remember when Darin and I did that and the dam thing went a 10.12 at Pomona. I didn't think it would go that fast. The toughest thing I ever did was sell that car. So far I have survived Prostate Cancer, a stroke, and now a 90% blocked artery. I am glad to still be here. Love to read your reports on the races. Unfortunately Hal did what he did and the information is from 2 very reliable sources. Read the qualifying sheet and you will be able to figure out who the sources are. Say hi to Patsy for me.
Dave
OLD GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:12 PM   #23
Gary Smith

Liked 75 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Porter View Post
Dave
Evidently we both took a turn at pushing each others "buttons".
Without a doubt I have offended you and for that I sincerely apologize. PM me you phone number and I'l be happy to talk to you in person.
However I still believe anybody that posts should sign their real name. So we have a difference of opinion on that subject.

I don't feel it necessary to compare credentials and I don't know how old you think I am or how long I've been in this racket, but something you might relate to is I'm old enough to remember racing at the old Orange County (OCIR) track well before it closed.

The issue with Hal is not the fact that he drained water out of the rad it is that he HAD to drain water out of the rad to kill a run. I have made no secret of the fact I dislike the AHFS in it's present configuration. For one thing it doesn't take into consideration exceptional conditions like today in Boise. The conditions were beyond mineshaft. Those who normally are fast were real fast today. Those who are normally real fast were bullets today. However the key is these were not normal conditions. So you end up with a HP gift on Monday as a result of unrealistic conditions that may not be duplicated again for years. It doesn't add up to me.

Then I read a post from anonymous contributor, who I felt was taking pot shots at friends of mine and I reacted. I haven't been able to find the rule about taking weight out of the car. Perhaps you or someone can point that out to me sometime.

Chuck Porter
Chuck, your name rings a bell but I can't remember what you drove back in the OCIR days. Do you remember my dad's car (my avitar) or other Wilson Ford guys? Just curious.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:15 PM   #24
OLD GUY

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ View Post
I'm not as old a guy, but I think I remember the same car ran with a hemi as an A/SA back in the 70's - Sutton and Schmitz?
RJ
You are correct. Gary and I built that car in 1976 after Butch Leal bought our 65 A-990 car. It ran ok but Don Little was the guy who finally figured out how to really make one run. He also was the guy who talked us into running a Six Pack instead of the Hemi. Smartest move we ever made.

Dave
Old 05-01-2009, 11:32 PM   #25
OLD GUY

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbjr View Post
I think I remember the 70 E body hemi getting alot of HP on runs where it didnt scale or fuel check at 9am on a below sea level morning.

Ebody hemi 457
Bbody hemi 430

Same motor

So it shouldnt matter if you are light if your giving HP to someone who didnt scale.
That would be the Fred Henson fiasco. Funnyest thing Fred was responsible for all 27 HP.You say same motor. The truth is the exact same motor. Fred pulled the motor out of the Challenger and put it in the GTX which now belongs to Ronnie West. The E body Street Hemi is history until NHRA fixes that problem.I am really in favor of a personal CIC system. If you go 1.40 under you pay the price not all the guys running the combination.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:41 PM   #26
Chuck Porter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post
Kinda fell into a buzz saw, right Chuck?
As to weight adjustment prior to scales, let me give you a scenerio. You have a B/SA and run another B/SA in eliminations. They beat you by .01 (ignore reaction times) and, just before the scales, someone hands them a 25 lb. bar which they put under the seat. They are OK by 5 lbs.
Is that legal?
Of course not.
Adjusting weight after a run for any reason is not in keeping with the spirit of the rules. That being said, I've got a lot of respect for the Sorensons, and I understand why they did it. The AHFS makes little sense. It would take little effort to write a computer program that converts ET to match actual DA at the time of the run rather than to an arbitrary factor. We do it all the time with our weather stations.
John
I understand and agree with what you are saying. I understand NHRA has been approached in the past to develop and implement a program similar to what you are describing. I haven't anything more about it for a long time.
I want to think there is still some sprit left in the interpretation of the rules. However "we" in this sport have deviated so far from the way it was 30+ years ago when I started, that it's hard to define the boundaries of the rules anymore.
I still haven't found the rule in the rule book.
Chuck

RE: Buzz saw - I suppose I did. I guess Dave & I were on a collision course this morning. I hold no grudges.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:07 AM   #27
Philip Saran

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post
Schmidt's for real.
Look under "Darin Grossi" on Auto imagery. That was Dave's driver in his B/SA Mopar. Won some Nationals and Divisionals before the car went to Sweden 2 or 3 years ago.
I saw Don Little racing this same car at Bakersfield last year I think it was. He said he
was testing it to straighten out some things. But I don't think it was 2 or 3 yrs back?
Old 05-02-2009, 12:35 AM   #28
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Because the purpose of weighing a vehicle is to determine "race weight" not "race weight after removing weight".
To determine race weight you would have to fill the radiator back up and of course know how full it was in the first place in order to be accurate.
Geez, if you need a written rule on how to interprut that, you must have a sorry program.

I only raced Dave's 'Cuda once. Darrin beat me....
Old 05-02-2009, 02:06 AM   #29
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

. For one thing it doesn't take into consideration exceptional conditions like today in Boise. The conditions were beyond mineshaft.

So Chuck,if one of us East coast guys flys in real good air I guess we can just dump weight to discount
the run to avoid a hit?

Ed F.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:37 AM   #30
Jim Cimarolli

Liked 135 Times in 40 Posts
Unhappy Re: Sorenson 1.408 under at Boise

Well, did the run count or not?
Jim Cimarolli is offline   Reply With Quote