HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-16-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
rboyle

Liked 554 Times in 156 Posts
Default 1973 Nova I/SA Chasing the Dream

I've been around the sport of drag racing since I was young. My dad had a '59 Corvette gasser that he used to race when I as a little kid. (my brother has it now as a street car). I can still remember the first time I went with him to a race and some of the times since then. I became friends with some of the other kids who's dad's raced with him back then and am proud to say still friends with some of them so many decades later still. One of those friends lived around the block from my grandma and shared the same fence. We became close and even closer as the years and life experiences went by. When we were young adults his dad started taking us to the races with him to help him out as his crew. When we weren't getting into some trouble we did our best to help and it ingrained in us some good hard work ethics and planted the racing seed deeper. My buddy and I started with street racers and eventually into some better cars, he picked it up very quick. I had the desire but lacked the dedication that he had. He since won many national and divisional events and a World Championship and I basically went into early retirement from racing. We always remained friends no matter the distance or time that lapsed. Anyway fast forward to this year. I went to Maple Grove with my oldest daughter because her tournament nearby got day 1 cancelled for poor field conditions. Frank took her around and let her get the experience of being in the lanes and on the starting line and in the pits. On the way home she said she thinks she could do that. I told Frank and said keep an eye out for a decent affordable stocker. (easier said than done right?) Well after the holidays he sent me a link to a car I had seen earlier and had some interest in. It was still for sale. I went back and forth and hesitated and finally made the call. The car was in Fla. and I am in NY so I thought that was going to be a deal killer. Frank said, Rich if you want it I'll be at the race in Gainesville and have room in the trailer, we'll take it to Belle Rose and you can race it there, then we'll take it home. How could I turn down an offer like that? The deal was struck, the plan was laid, tickets and licenses and many details worked out. I'll drive it until she's ready and work out the bugs. My friend and his dad and race partners did me a favor that I can never repay but I guess if opportunity knocks you have to answer. The car's in the trailer, the butterflies are in the stomach and Frankie, Frank, Phil and Steve have an IOU for life. Thanks for the opportunity and hoping for a smooth first National Event.
rboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:21 PM   #2
rboyle

Default Re: 1973 Nova I/SA Chasing the Dream

here's a couple of pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	noavgainesville.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	27933   Click image for larger version

Name:	novagainesville1.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	27934  
Old 03-17-2015, 08:14 AM   #3
Tony Corley

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Cool story and great looking car!
Tony Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:12 PM   #4
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

THat's awesome... great story... and , indeed, working on a car with your father, as i did mine, instilled a good work ethic and many good memories... Cant wait to hear about your first outing, and hers too... Good luck!
Old 03-28-2015, 09:22 AM   #5
rboyle

Made 8 runs on Thursdays test n tune and never got the car under the index. Chased bad radiator hose, changed plugs, fixed broken two step wire and timing among other things. During qualifying ran 12.45 on the 12.30 index and lost in class obviously. Checked for broken valve springs or rocker arms and found the valves were out of adjustment by about 20thou. Adjusted and was desgnated pair #3 for Saturdays first round elims. Car started vibrating in second right at 5000 rpm checked tach checked oil pressure 50 lbs thought maybe valve float or rev limiter was funky short shifted third to see if it cleared up and bang boom bam. Rod kicked out the oil pan and trans case cracked and driveshaft spit out. Dream turned into nightmare. Picking up the pieces thanks to the great friends involved and starting over.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:00 AM   #6
Tony Corley

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Don't get discouraged and throw in the towel. At least now you will know exactly what you have, and the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Good Luck.
Tony Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:27 AM   #7
rboyle

It will be all new and fresh and updated. It should be faster than the old combo ever was too so that's okay. Just wish it was by choice rather than need
Old 03-31-2015, 08:47 AM   #8
rboyle

Took out motor and trans and tore down engine. Looks like bearings were tight everywhere. Block and crank are scrap, pistons and rods too, cam and lifters may be safe and heads are getting checked but didn't look too bad. The rebuild process will start now hopefully smoothly.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:09 AM   #9
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

I tried to talk a buddy of mine into buying that car, I think you'll have a great piece when you're done. Great story and good luck, just don't make it real fast lol.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:06 AM   #10
jamie2370

Liked 236 Times in 89 Posts

Sorry about your issues but it brings me to a question. Now I am not trying to talk bad about anybody but...........what is with the "car runs so and so" , you buy it and can't even get it to run the index. I am facing the same thing except I have to buy a trans and converter because what I got won't run the index and it's the th350 with 2.52 gear and 4200 flash converter that's in it. It doesn't make since. Sorry to hijack your thread.
jamie2370 is offline   Reply With Quote