HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-02-2015, 09:25 PM   #101
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: 1978 Mustang II

It's been a good while since I've posted anything. Just hasn't been a lot of time to devote to working on the cars. Makes me wonder if we'll ever get this thing done.

Finally this weekend we got to do something constructive. We got the manual master cylinder in and plumbed. Along with the line lock. Still may need to fiddle with the brake peddle. Next step is straighten out and bleed the brakes. From the pictures it is a mess. We have most of the wiring roughed in. We have the gauges placed. They too are at present, roughed in.

I have to order a few more pieces. Then we will plug in the stocker camshaft and put the intake and carb back on it. Fire it and break in the cam. Get it mobile again. Then I will swap out the valve springs. Those beehive springs have a tad of pressure. Just working on a spare set of heads on the bench. Till we perfected a method and made a washer for the spring compressor. We launched a retainer and a set of 10 degree locks somewhere in the garage, LOL! Need to get a hold of Bullet and get some replacements.

Still need to get the transmission done. Put in the fuel cell, fuel pump and lines.

I have slim hopes of maybe having the car ready for the Indy Fall event. Maybe go to Ohio Valley for the Doorslammers and the Halloween combo. Lot of work to get there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MustangII MC.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	29941   Click image for larger version

Name:	MustangII BP.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	29942  
95 Achieva EF/SA, 78 Mustang II U/SA (work in progress) #354 stock
Robert Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:03 PM   #102
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Some time was spent on the Mustang II today. We finally have the brakes back online. There is still a bunch of wiring to do, as well as clean up. As you view the photos, this is evident.

We got the fuel cell mocked up. I need to do a final finish on the brackets, clean them up and paint them. We have the fuel lines run up to the regulator. So, progress is there, albeit slowly.

Looks like the next step is to change out the cam. Put the new Bullet stocker cam, lifters and the adjustable rockers in. Not far from a point where this car may be able to run under it's own power again.

Anyone here local (Indianapolis or the Midwest) know whom to take a C4 for a rebuild. I already have the TCI rebuild kit, a serviceable valve body and the PA servo. Get that done and install my Bluestreak converter. This thing could well be close to looking at going down a track. Still a lot of work to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel cell install.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	30219   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel reg.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	30220  
Old 08-30-2015, 06:18 PM   #103
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Swartz View Post

Anyone here local (Indianapolis or the Midwest) know whom to take a C4 for a rebuild. I already have the TCI rebuild kit, a serviceable valve body and the PA servo. Get that done and install my Bluestreak converter. This thing could well be close to looking at going down a track. Still a lot of work to do.
Thomas Arnett can do it for you..He's not too far...Greenville, Ky.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:40 PM   #104
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Thomas Arnett can do it for you..He's not too far...Greenville, Ky.
Thanks Mark. I will look him up. Way back when, you and I discussed this. Thought about doing it ourselves. Decided to turn it over to someone that knows more about transmissions than I do.

Also seems I'm way late to the party with the 78 motor. This thing has gone from 139hp to 163, ouch! The 76 and 77 motors are still at the lower hp. I have a set of 77 heads and an intake. Also got a set of early Ford roller rockers courtesy of Bob Shaw. I have an option.

Running this thing as a U car would be a lot better. Car as a 78, presently fits in Q. 14.85 index versus a 13.80 index. Can weight it up to run R at 14.05, still be tough without a decent motor.

Ah well, finish the thing up. Take it to a track, see where we are at.