HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
Doug Domm

Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts
Default Looking for feedback on playback tachs

I'm looking for feedback on the Autometer Ultimate 2 or any opinions on other recording devices. Questions that come to mind are. If you have the Ultimate 2 would you buy it again? How dependable is it or have there been issues with it? Do you have any problems with the driveshaft pickup or shaft balance after installing magnets? Is it user friendly for replay and download? What is your opinion of the software? Or suggestions on another product altogether. Sorry for sixty questions but my tach came over on the Ark and I've had a request to put it in a museum. I guess it is time to bring my stocker up to the 90's or maybe even today. Thanks Doug
Doug Domm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 503 Times in 126 Posts
Default Re: Looking for feedback on playback tachs

We just starting using it. We like it. Still learning how it all works. It has helped us alot with the stick car. We download the runs to the tachfacts software that comes with it. It then graphs the runs showing you engine and driveline rpm. It helps with showing shift points and how far it pulls the motor down on gear changes. It also shows you if your shifting late(computers don't lie). We still need to add the clutch sensor. The tach was easy to install. I bought the collar and magnet kit from Mark Williams. It's easy to install on yoke. Make sure you only install 2 magnets in the collar. It put all four and couldn't get and readings. I talked to a rep at the nationals in Dallas and he told me it won't work with 4 magnets. Tach also plays back runs on the tach itself. Press a few buttons and you can play your run back instantly. Hope some of this helps. Ed
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
SPS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

We have used one for 4 or 5 years with great success,
as Ed said, the Tachfacts software is easy to use and the information gained is as good as having a Racepak. (I've had both)
The Autometer people are great to deal with if you have any questions or problems. (Had an issue with Windows Vista at first, but they helped with that)
In addition to Ed's comments about the driveshaft speed, its worth buying either a Mark Williams or Strange pickup collar. Makes things cleaner and easier to hook up.
Also, the ability to download, store and overlay any runs will be a big help. You can also blow up a certain area for details. The converter slippage is shown as you scroll across the graph. Also, hook the trans brake up, and it will show exactly where the car leaves.
Victoria sets the tach after the burnout to start it. The memory has the ability to "back up" or show data before its set to start so its easy to get a whole run without worrying when to start. It automatically stops taking data at a preset time after a run so no wasted time.
It also stores 5 or 6 runs at a time so it is not necessary to download a run each time you use it.
Great value for the money, we feel.

FJ
SPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
Todd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Looking for feedback on playback tachs

It helped us take some of the human error factor out of comparing timeslips. We were able to tell if we short-shifted or did not have the same rpms at the line run by run.
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
Shawn Blair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Re: Looking for feedback on playback tachs

I got mine last season and it's a great investment! I put the Mark Williams collar on mine also, it's way better than "sticking" the magnets to the joint caps.

Shawn
Old 03-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
Doug Domm

All I seem to come up with for collars are for the Ford 9" yoke. I have a 12 bolt ? Thanks Doug
Old 03-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #7
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 503 Times in 126 Posts

I have a dana 60 just call and mark williams or strange can get you the right one. Ed
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
Doug Domm

Thanks for the feedback folks. I value your opinions and this tach is now on my wish list. Let me see, I must have a birthday or anniversary or fathers day or groundhog day or something coming up soon that I can put this on my must have list. Thanks Doug