HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Competition
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-06-2008, 10:56 AM   #31
Travis Gusso

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: Ford in Comp Eliminator?????

My brother, Trent and I have recently built the Super Mod Mustang on the first page of this thread. We are attempting to run E/SM with a 318" wedge-headed piece. The first outing was the Brainerd div 5 race back in May. The car ran a 9.05 on the first pass with the new motor, which is just short of -.10 under the index - not too shabby for a home-built car and a couple of guys who have only ever ran Stock Eliminator. That weekend ended up a bust as we went into the bellhousing and proceeded to slow the car down every pass with our "wise" clutch adjustments! We have done only limited testing locally since and slowly but surely we are sneaking up on the clutch set-up, etc. The motor is far from a "killer" - I think if we get the set-up perfect the combo is good for -.30 or so, probably not much more.

Everyone thinks that the Ford's are too expensive to build campared to the GM stuff. That is a farce! Ford's aren't expensive... Comp is! Call Eaton enterprises and ask them what they get for a new carb-to-pan SB2 Chevy... I guarantee you that a pretty stout Ford can be built on that budget! Where the GM stuff has the clear advantage is in raw numbers... many more cars, engine combos, approved heads, engine builders, etc. The "r&d" field is huge compared to other makes.

For example, a guy goes to Panella for a motor and has a falling out. He then takes that motor to Patterson for freshening. After a fall out with Patterson he takes the motor to Eaton... see the pattern? They have all seen each others stuff and taken the "good stuff" from each. Pretty hard to do that with Ford stuff when there are only a hand-full out there, if that. The other advantage that the GM guys have, specifically in Super Mod, is the number of good heads that GM has made available. You are really limited when looking for a good head (especially a wedge) with a Ford part number. The gap is not quite as wide with the Yates canted/splayed valves stuff, but I do believe that the GM splayed stuff is better than the Yates stuff on average.

We will keep plugging away. A Ford CAN definitely be competitive - it is just a lot steeper of a hill to climb as we are mostly doing it alone. Who knows, maybe I will have to fall inline and be a good little boy with a automatic and a Cobalt - ever seen one of those?!?

-tg
Travis Gusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:29 PM   #32
RPM5595

Liked 32 Times in 14 Posts
Talking Re: Ford in Comp Eliminator?????

Travis, long time! You have a PM.

Jay Roeder
RPM5595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #33
thewrench3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think you will do just fine. If you can survive stock eliminator you will do fine in comp.
thewrench3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:01 PM   #34
G Schenck

Liked 81 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Gusso View Post
My brother, Trent and I have recently built the Super Mod Mustang on the first page of this thread. We are attempting to run E/SM with a 318" wedge-headed piece. The first outing was the Brainerd div 5 race back in May. The car ran a 9.05 on the first pass with the new motor, which is just short of -.10 under the index - not too shabby for a home-built car and a couple of guys who have only ever ran Stock Eliminator. That weekend ended up a bust as we went into the bellhousing and proceeded to slow the car down every pass with our "wise" clutch adjustments! We have done only limited testing locally since and slowly but surely we are sneaking up on the clutch set-up, etc. The motor is far from a "killer" - I think if we get the set-up perfect the combo is good for -.30 or so, probably not much more.

Everyone thinks that the Ford's are too expensive to build campared to the GM stuff. That is a farce! Ford's aren't expensive... Comp is! Call Eaton enterprises and ask them what they get for a new carb-to-pan SB2 Chevy... I guarantee you that a pretty stout Ford can be built on that budget! Where the GM stuff has the clear advantage is in raw numbers... many more cars, engine combos, approved heads, engine builders, etc. The "r&d" field is huge compared to other makes.

For example, a guy goes to Panella for a motor and has a falling out. He then takes that motor to Patterson for freshening. After a fall out with Patterson he takes the motor to Eaton... see the pattern? They have all seen each others stuff and taken the "good stuff" from each. Pretty hard to do that with Ford stuff when there are only a hand-full out there, if that. The other advantage that the GM guys have, specifically in Super Mod, is the number of good heads that GM has made available. You are really limited when looking for a good head (especially a wedge) with a Ford part number. The gap is not quite as wide with the Yates canted/splayed valves stuff, but I do believe that the GM splayed stuff is better than the Yates stuff on average.

We will keep plugging away. A Ford CAN definitely be competitive - it is just a lot steeper of a hill to climb as we are mostly doing it alone. Who knows, maybe I will have to fall inline and be a good little boy with a automatic and a Cobalt - ever seen one of those?!?

-tg

Travis, I see you are entered at INDY. I will try to look you up.

Greg
G Schenck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:19 AM   #35
Freddie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I have been running in the NMRA, and working out my combination. I have enough to run with the NMRA guys in thier heads up Hot Street, but dont think it will cut it in Super Mod yet. I am working with some new parts this year and a bigger budget than I have ever had, so this may be the year I try to move up. Only problem is its a 2800# car with a 360 inch motor with Yates heads and a Dart Aluminum Block.

Is the Aluminum Block legal in comp?
NMRA 2012 Outlaw 10.5 #10
Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:46 AM   #36
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts
Exclamation Re: Ford in Comp Eliminator?????

OEM block MANDATORY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 in A thru I /sm--Comp387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #37
Freddie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Rule book only says OEM spacing mandatory. does not say it has to be a OEM part # block and if thats the case what Block are all the Ford guys running? none of the stock blocks will hold the HP needed to run the power they are making.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:50 PM   #38
FED 387
VIP Member

Page 210 under engine requirements----OEM block mandatory!!!!!!!!!!! Goes on to mention MUST ALSO BE OEM BORE CENTER SPACING MANDATORY !!!!!!!!!!! If Ford makes a block that is Aluminum AND has the correct bore spacing you MIGHT I say MIGHT be able to use it --If it was me BEFORE I did anything at all I would get a letter from that the block you plan on using is an accepted piece first, then I would do my machine work but the way NHRA tech is I would cover my *** --they have been known to change their minds---Comp 387
Old 09-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #39
FED 387
VIP Member

I meant to say get a letter from NHRA--Comp
Old 09-01-2008, 04:01 PM   #40
Freddie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

A letter from NHRA dont mean anything anymore. I had a letter faxed to me from someone in Ca. about accepted aftermarket front end on the Mustang for SS and was told the QA1 tubular front end was ok in the Modifies class. When I had the car inspected for getting the cage certified, I asked the tech guy and he said that is not the case. I showed him the letter, and I was informed that aftermarket front ends were not legal in SS mod. and I would have to change it before I raced the car, unless I wanted to run Comp he thought they were made legal there. Anyway a few days later I get a e-mail from the person in CA. saying they were sorry they mis-read the rule, and they were sorry. In the mean time I already bought and installed a $1400. front end that I cant use.

Makes me just want to say @#$% it all and run S/G or brackets.