HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-24-2017, 08:11 PM   #1
my69396

Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts
Default Flywheel weight

On a small engine (283) stocker weighing 3200 lbs. What would be a good starting point for a flywheel? 12 lb Aluminum, 30 lb steel, 22 lb steel. 5.57 and a 9x29.5 tire with a 3.19 low gear.
my69396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:28 PM   #2
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts
Default Re: Flywheel weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by my69396 View Post
On a small engine (283) stocker weighing 3200 lbs. What would be a good starting point for a flywheel? 12 lb Aluminum, 30 lb steel, 22 lb steel. 5.57 and a 9x29.5 tire with a 3.19 low gear.
With that gearing it would be a crutch,but easier with a light steel flywheel cut the disc down on a soft loc type clutch if you are doing a budget build

More rear gear, more first gear, lighter smaller flywheel, smaller clutch would be ideal.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:59 PM   #3
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james schaechter View Post
With that gearing it would be a crutch,but easier with a light steel flywheel cut the disc down on a soft loc type clutch if you are doing a budget build

More rear gear, more first gear, lighter smaller flywheel, smaller clutch would be ideal.
Jim, Years ago, we would use the 10.5 L88 rag disc with an adjustable (usually 11" ) Long style PP. Basically , we were doing that because that was how they were made.
Are you suggesting going to a greater difference than that?
Also , what about shimming the PP mounts with hardened washers, for budget builds?
I always assumed ,at a certain point, that would turn to you know what, in a hurry.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:00 PM   #4
my69396

Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

The clutch will be iron with a soft lock pressure plate. I was just trying to get a place to start as far as how heavy a flywheel hits the tires. I know that bogging a small inch motor will slow them down tenths.
my69396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #5
Jim Caughlin

Liked 693 Times in 208 Posts

Bear in mind that with the current technology of controlling clutch slip, heavy flywheels have gone by the wayside. Their function is more of a place to hang the starter ring gear than to store energy. I have had HUGE performance increases by reducing weight and diameter on my clutch & flywheel assy. As I always say 'Your results may vary', but I would be cutting weight and diameter if you want to go fast, it's all about getting the clutch slip managed.

Jim Caughlin
SS 6019
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:26 PM   #6
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Jim, Years ago, we would use the 10.5 L88 rag disc with an adjustable (usually 11" ) Long style PP. Basically , we were doing that because that was how they were made.
Are you suggesting going to a greater difference than that?
Also , what about shimming the PP mounts with hardened washers, for budget builds?
I always assumed ,at a certain point, that would turn to you know what, in a hurry.
I would not consider a rag disc anymore. The difference is huge just going to a heavy old sintered iron. The heavier steel stuff is hard on rear shocks but is going to wheel stand and then bog. Probably look good. It was hard for us to switch to lighter stuff because the car slowed down when we did. Once we left the light stuff in the car long enough to figure it out, we never went back. Single disc stuff we cut the disc to 8.75 and it worked even better. Then as the dual disc stuff like Advanced came around, we went to that and other lightweight dual disc stuff. Much quicker than the heavy stuff!
Old 01-27-2017, 03:33 PM   #7
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james schaechter View Post
I would not consider a rag disc anymore. The difference is huge just going to a heavy old sintered iron. The heavier steel stuff is hard on rear shocks but is going to wheel stand and then bog. Probably look good. It was hard for us to switch to lighter stuff because the car slowed down when we did. Once we left the light stuff in the car long enough to figure it out, we never went back. Single disc stuff we cut the disc to 8.75 and it worked even better. Then as the dual disc stuff like Advanced came around, we went to that and other lightweight dual disc stuff. Much quicker than the heavy stuff!
I never figured out the light weight stuff. I know there's something there, but we apparently weren't smart enough to figure it out. Every best number we ever ran was with a rag, or soft loc with either a 30lb. Flywheel, or an aluminum 168 tooth flywheel. I know, but every trick clutch setup we tried we slowed down immensely. We know there's something there, cause everyone but us were running it, but again, we never even came close to running well with it. Solid hit, and lockup is what we stayed with.. and yes, we had computer, and turned every knob they told us too.