HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
68Mustang

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Question about front end travel

I hear a lot of guys talking about front end travel. That it is one on the keys to getting a stocker to transfer weight and hook. I am a bracket racer i run a 28x10.5 slick i am trying to get my car to wheelie higher than it does, trying to get it to leave like a stocker
So my question is how much front end travel do stockers try to get. What kind of front coil spring are you looking for as far as length and spring weight.
68Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
Bill Harris

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Default Re: Question about front end travel

You want as much travel as you can get, and it is usually limited by the shock travel. On an early Mustang you can get some additional suspension travel by notching the frame rail where the upper control arm hits it at full extension. If you take the shocks off and jack up the front end so that the control arms are at their limit you will see where you can cut a couple of notches in the lip on the frame rail that will allow for further drop. Once that is done you want to take full advantage of the travel by fully extending the shock and modifying the upper mount so that the shock is at full extension just as the upper control arm hits the frame rail. I don't like having the suspension hang from the shock. Once that is accomplished you want to lower the front end (trimming coils from the springs) until you only have about an inch of down-travel on the shock when the car is static and level. Trim the upper control arm rubber bumpers accordingly. That will maximize the amount of front end travel on launch.
You want the shock to be really loose on extension. The Calvert shocks are cheap and work like a charm. If you want adjustables I have some Koni SP1A units that I will let go at a reasonable price.
The other thing you should do is minimize resistance in the control arm and spring perch pivots. Get roller-bearing spring perches and low friction control arm bushings. OpenTracker makes some nice stuff for the Mustangs. Get in touch with Alex Denysenko at www.moneymakerracing.com and he will have you dragging your bumper in no time (with an empty wallet and a couple of busted knuckles).
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
Michael Pliska

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not a stock racer, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express a couple weeks ago...

One thing to remember too is the spring rate. You want as low a spring rate as possible, with the necessary spring length to maintain ride height. By using springs in this manner, you end up with more force from the spring (which is lifting the front end) as it reaches the end of the suspension travel. I know, this isn't all that intuitive. With a higher rate spring, the force-displacement graph is steeper (the force changes more with the same displacement), such that the force has dropped off significantly by the time the travel is used up. The lower rate springs are able to impart more energy into lifting the car during their travel.

Regards,
Old 09-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
henrys57wagon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I rebuilt the front suspensions on our stockers I ground off all the serrations on the stock control arm bushings inserts so there is no binding, better than leaving the bolts loose, Henry.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
Harry 6674

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Long spring with small wire. Try to get the correct spring rather than cutting coils as that increases your spring rate.
Harry 6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Mustang View Post
I hear a lot of guys talking about front end travel. That it is one on the keys to getting a stocker to transfer weight and hook. I am a bracket racer i run a 28x10.5 slick i am trying to get my car to wheelie higher than it does, trying to get it to leave like a stocker
So my question is how much front end travel do stockers try to get. What kind of front coil spring are you looking for as far as length and spring weight.
I'm still running stock shocks all the way around on my Volare... Heavy Duty CARQUEST on the front. LOL My car started picking up the wheels when I started making more torque. It would be fun to see what it would do with some 90/10's, but nobody makes them for my application. (Not interested in spending big bucks on custom-made shocks... car works great already.)
Old 09-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #7
jack arnew

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wink Re: Question about front end travel

Remember, the money is at the outher end of the track,so don't try to please the fans with giant wheel stands go for the optium and best results fron front travel and transfer.Rember all that vehicle in the air has to get to the finish line as fast as possible.Try for leave as good as possible, but you want to regain low front end stance as soon as your off the line . Once the vehicle has retured to running position it will become much more aero dinamic Won't help much at start line but more on the big end.Don't know what you have for rear suspension aids but try some negitive pinion angle for more lift from front of rear springs .

good luck!
jack arnew is offline   Reply With Quote