Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 03-24-2019, 12:01 PM   #11
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts
Default Re: Master Cutoff Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Stout View Post
If I have battery in stock location and add a second battery in back do I need a master cut off switch?
I think I don't but asking as I need to add a battery.
General: 8.4 Mandatory when battery is relocated or as outlined in Class Requirements.

Check the current class rules for your car. My guess is yes. Battery in trunk = rear deck mount cut off.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:29 PM   #12
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 653 Times in 253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSale View Post
General: 8.4 Mandatory when battery is relocated or as outlined in Class

Check the current class rules for your car. My guess is yes. Battery in trunk = rear deck mount cut off.
I thought that at first, but I'm not re locating. Just adding
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:19 PM   #13
Duster 7695

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Jeff,
You do need a cut off switch at the back of the car since you are putting a battery in the trunk.

Raul
Duster 7695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:27 PM   #14
FireSale
VIP Member

Quote:
I thought that at first, but I'm not re locating. Just adding
It's just a switch.... Unless you are adding under the hood, put it in.

A stock battery location is under the hood. Install one anywhere else and a cut off would be required. When the battery is under the hood the power usually runs to a distribution block under the hood keeping the feed short and contained. When you add/relocate a battery in the trunk, you have 10-15 feet of vulnerable wire running under the car. The cutoff switch is meant to do two things, kill ignition and fuel pump power (fire control) and prevent any pinched or cut wire from shorting the chassis and blowing the whole friggin' car up with you inside.

Disclaimer: I am a bracket racer. I have a full cage, window net, neck collar and fire extinguisher in my 12 second car.

Anyone know the kill requirements for electric vehicles? Jeff Lane, you out there? I'd ask Garlits but I don't think he's around these parts much.
Liked
Old 03-25-2019, 11:57 AM   #15
cmracing

Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
If I have battery in stock location and add a second battery in back do I need a master cut off switch?
I think I don't but asking as I need to add a battery.
Yes! And if you want to wire this car "correctly" you will need a large constant-duty relay under the hood to disconnect the front battery from the rear switch........ Pain in the butt and extra cost, but well worth the hassle. I did an NHRA Stocker like this, the only "issue" is you need to remember to turn the main power off, especially after you put the car in the trailer. That constant-duty relay pulls a decent amount of power and will drain your batteries.........

Now, back to the battery location issue. I have a 2008 Buick Lucerne, stock battery location is under the rear seat. My 2015 Camaro has the battery in the trunk, from the factory, so do the newer Vettes.

These batteries are no relocated, wonder when the NHRA will start looking at these vehicles and making people put a switch in the rear of the car.

And what about those electric vehicles............
cmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:44 PM   #16
Dan Bennett

Liked 339 Times in 73 Posts

It's sort of a side step instead of a total thread derail, but I'm pretty amazed that no one seems to be concerned with batteries in electric cars.

Ever seen a vid on Youtube where some idiot shorts the battery of a vaping device and it goes into thermal runaway? Hellfire and carnage results.

Teslas use the same battery. But they have 8000 of them in their battery packs. Haven't heard a peep from the NHTSA, nor DOT for that matter.
Dan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:03 PM   #17
Pat McCue

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: Master Cutoff Switch

I'll take a shot at answering the master cut off switch for electric vehicles question.. Jeff, team and I built the eCOPO as well as the orange car "Shock and Awe" that has run around division 6 for a few years.

All our cars, per General Rule 8.4, have master cut off switches. They are push off and clearly marked. When pushed they remove all low voltage power to the rest of the car (including to the low voltage components that connect the high voltage to the propulsion system).

We also have an "oh-sh#*" switch on the dash, that if ever needed (hasn't been needed in almost 175 electric runs) would remove 12v power to the master contactor in the hv motor system. That too is push off. That does not remove 12v power from the entire vehicle, just disconnects the HV.

Here's a picture of the back of the orange high school car.....
Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12v push off.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	49059  
Pat McCue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:54 PM   #18
FireSale
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McCue View Post
I'll take a shot at answering the master cut off switch for electric vehicles question.. Jeff, team and I built the eCOPO as well as the orange car "Shock and Awe" that has run around division 6 for a few years.

All our cars, per General Rule 8.4, have master cut off switches. They are push off and clearly marked. When pushed they remove all low voltage power to the rest of the car (including to the low voltage components that connect the high voltage to the propulsion system).

We also have an "oh-sh#*" switch on the dash, that if ever needed (hasn't been needed in almost 175 electric runs) would remove 12v power to the master contactor in the hv motor system. That too is push off. That does not remove 12v power from the entire vehicle, just disconnects the HV.

Here's a picture of the back of the orange high school car.....
Pat
Thank you for the answer. In regards to the questions about EV cutoffs from others, the rule book has cutoff switch requirements. It must disconnect the motor and power pack. It's in the EV section buried up with ET Snowmobiles.
Liked
Old 03-26-2019, 02:38 AM   #19
Tom P

Liked 208 Times in 81 Posts

It is worth mentioning that the cutoff is supposed to be on the Positive side. If you have it the other way and crash and fold the quarter panel into the Negative terminal the switch won't work,
The rules are written in blood as they say.
Tom P is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-26-2019, 06:11 AM   #20
J&S Racing

Liked 287 Times in 77 Posts

I’ve decided to run a switch even though I don’t plan on putting a battery in the truck just yet.

My question is about the wire from the alternator, can it run to the battery or does it need to be run to the switch?
J&S Racing is offline   Reply With Quote