HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 12-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #81
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts
Default Re: Why is NASCAR Dying ? Video !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR9121 View Post
Just one correction, its 20th century technology. The 19th century would've been the 1800's and we spend all this money refining the old technology because that's what Stock/SS is all about.
Pretty sure the internal combustion engine is 1800s technology.

I'm 40 years old, and I completely understand why more people aren't involved in racing. I spend tens of thousands of dollars every single year, work my *** off, and then we all spend the off time complaining about some aspect of it online.

If I wasn't born into it, I don't know what the appeal would be!
Old 12-05-2018, 01:58 PM   #82
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Cooter the basic carburetor design and even spark ignition goes back to the late 1800's...…"infernal" combustion engine as well....

We all can argue up a storm about this topic but it does not really help.

Times change, people change, what was once popular is not any longer

NASCAR and NHRA does things they think will help their bottom line.

The bean counters and lawyers drive the bus......period...
Old 12-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #83
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

Ok if you want to look at it that way, I was specifically speaking of the engine combinations that we are working on. But again that's what Stock is about, improving old technology and making it as fast and efficient as possible.
The global warming thing, I'm not even going there!
Old 12-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #84
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post
Sorry. Can confirm the interpretation of rocketolds400.

So that brings the total who agree with rocketolds400's interpretation to 1 in 325,700,000 people in America. I'm actually still feelin' pretty good about my statement. For you math lovers, that's.00000000307 agreement. But you have to help me; in today's "touchy-feely" world, where everything offends everybody, I guess I should apologize to 1) the millennials, as a group, 2) the one millennial who likes drag racing, 3) rocketolds400, and 4) you... right?
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #85
Lenny5160

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhramnl View Post
So that brings the total who agree with rocketolds400's interpretation to 1 in 325,700,000 people in America. I'm actually still feelin' pretty good about my statement. For you math lovers, that's.00000000307 agreement. But you have to help me; in today's "touchy-feely" world, where everything offends everybody, I guess I should apologize to 1) the millennials, as a group, 2) the one millennial who likes drag racing, 3) rocketolds400, and 4) you... right?
Don't flatter yourself; you didn't offend me. I just interpreted your post the same way someone else did.

Classracer is a nice place to talk about a specific niche within the drag racing world, but I don't think the entire population of America is going to read your post.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:19 PM   #86
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Its a very complicated world we live in, always has been, always will be....

As a lifelong car guy and drag racer since the stone age as well as a big NASCAR fan and generally any motorsports fan.....It is painfull to see the decline in what has given me endless hours of enjoyment, Racing of all kinds....

Bottom line, I will participate in the sport of drag racing and occasionally still watch NASCAR as long as they both exist.....and I am still able to.....

Millenials, Generation ? whatever can play with their phones till their fingers fall off.....LOL
Old 12-05-2018, 02:28 PM   #87
nhramnl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post
Don't flatter yourself; you didn't offend me. I just interpreted your post the same way someone else did.

Classracer is a nice place to talk about a specific niche within the drag racing world, but I don't think the entire population of America is going to read your post.

Oh, but I so wanted to flatter myself by offending you! Actually, I have to remind myself that on Classracer (and most other "racer" boards), a person will be disagreed with if they say the sky is blue. Posting does nothing but provide an opportunity for people to get "second-hand offended" and stick-up for those they feel have been wronged. Case in point.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:33 PM   #88
nhramnl

Remember that all of this started with me observing that millennials don't care as much about cars and the car culture as older generations. It has been turned into a vicious, unprincipled, unprovoked attack on an entire generation of Americans (in general) and one innocent millennial victim (in particular). Wow... good thing you guys don't overreact.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:47 PM   #89
Lenny5160

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhramnl View Post
You generalize to "defend" your generation, implying that the millions of people who perceive the majority of millennials as whining, self-serving, live-with-Mom-and-Dad, America-hating crybabies are wrong, and that because you like drag racing, all millennials do.
Can you quote where Whisman said anything like this? That he likes drag racing so all Millennials do?

It was pretty clear to me that he said he likes it, but he knows it is dying so he will enjoy it while he can. He didn't attempt to project his enjoyment of the sport onto anyone else.

You appear to be so rock hard to attack a real live Millennial that you don't really care what he actually said.

Last edited by Lenny5160; 12-05-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Lenny5160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #90
nhramnl

[QUOTE=Lenny5160;578069]Can you quote where Whisman said anything like this? That he likes drag racing so all Millennials do?

It was pretty clear to me that he said he likes it, but he knows it is dying so he will enjoy it while he can. He didn't attempt to project his enjoyment of the sport onto anyone else.

You appear to be so rock hard to attack a real live Millennial that you don't really care what he actually said.[/QUOTE

So what prompts him to take on the burden to "defend his generation"? Defend them against what? I think it's pretty rational to assume he thinks he's defending them against the claim that none of them like cars or racing. He makes the point that HE likes Super Stock racing; my question is "So what? What relevant point can be made (in defense of millennials) based upon the fact that YOU like drag racing?"

I totally get that the young man is trying to say "Don't paint us all with the same brush", but that logic depends on a reality that a reasonable percentage of your group isn't like the group as a whole. If there were hundreds of millennials in car clubs, driving street rods, drag racing, etc. I would be full of s**t, but that simply isn't the case. Auto racing is rapidly becoming the hobby of old guys.

I don't dislike the young man or his attempt to stick-up for his fellow young people. Just don't make an argument based on the assumptive implication that one person proves the exception to the rule. Fact is, young people don't have anywhere near the attraction to cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, etc. that their parents and grandparents did. That doesn't make them wrong, but it also doesn't make observing that reality wrong, either.

Last edited by nhramnl; 12-05-2018 at 03:25 PM.