HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-08-2009, 10:11 AM   #221
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default Re: Original hemi dart information

Mark J,
Got a private message from Jim, who worked at Cy Greene Dodge, Manhassett, L.I.. New York. A Hemi Dart went through there. Not sure if it was an original order, or swapped from another dealer. He's not sure of who got it. Or the Singer Dodge connection.
Mystery Barracuda. Not sure if you've got this one. ............................
Bender Chrysler-Plymouth, SS/BA, Clovis, New Mexico
No, not Gordon Stewart's "Hair Bender". This one looks like a
Sox & Martin paint-scheme, with a large center-strip (blue)???
More on Pomona, later....
PC
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:46 AM   #222
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Bill,
Thanks on the bus connection. It was either Short-Line or Vanguard,
I'm not sure of any others, maybe Orange Bus Co.? But the Dart was there, in the bus garage (owned by a mechanic). Heard he ran the car
on the late-shift between the buses for fun, against the guys from the
night-shift at the Ford-plant in Mahwah. Maybe against some Super Cobra-Jets on a final test-drive, before shipping them out
Not sure if you heard of a Vic. Pomona Speed Shop, off route 202 in Pomona, NY. Not really a speed shop, but a 2-car garage behind his house (Vic's Auto Repair), with some speed parts in his side office.
Got the Hemi Dart in (74'/75'..??) from the bus mechanic.
Paul
Old 11-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #223
mike koester 66 nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mark J and Paul, Hot Rod Magazine put out a special Mopar collectors series in the winter of 2005, alot of rare pictures in the back section.
Ronnie Sox racing Charlie Casaldo, Hemi Hunter, Hemi Power,and over
50 other hemi darts and cudas. one picture is Ed Miller in his cuda racing the Manhatten Speed Parts dart. some pictures are from 1968 and some were from 1969. some teams in early paint and lettering, and
some in latter day paint. most pictures in black and white. its a great start for someone trying to figure some of this hemi history out.
mike koester 66 nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:21 AM   #224
mike koester 66 nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mark J, did you ever do any more research on the two red DeFrank and
Cohen cudas? One was red and yellow and sold to Lydon and Johnson in Penn. and the other all red car was sold to Don MacCallum. What do you think the history was on each car. Also I understand that Dell and you have allmost finished documenting most of these cars. Are you going to publish this information or going to try making it available to others trying to study the sport. Any help would be appreciated. Have many cars with
their first owners. These cars sure did change hands over the years. I told Dell I would try and send him more pictures.
mike koester 66 nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:06 AM   #225
68hemiss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Paul, I got your pictures, I am getting some ready to send to you. Looks like you have been doing some digging! I tried a few people but no luck on the Pomona Speed shop yet.
Mark J
68hemiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:50 AM   #226
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Mark,
As you can see in the Dart photo. The rear quarter-panels are near perfect. Replaced stock units. I'm sure in 1980 or 1981, the original
Hurst-modified units must have been dinged up pretty bad. Most guys just replaced the quarter-panels with stock units, and then had the
rear-ends narrowed for the cleaner look? Also, I said earlier, the
trunk-lid had a steel unit on, with the trim-panel. Unfortunately, thats all I have on the black Dart.
As for the Pomona car, not too much info passing on this post. It appears that the original car went through Charles Singer Dodge in
Kearney, New Jersey and/or Cy Greene Dodge in Manhassett, L.I., NY.
I think the original purchaser came out of Corona (Queens), NY. Not too far from Manhassett.
Jim B, mentioned that the Dart out of Cy Greene Dodge was a 4-speed,
but as you know, that doesn't help much, as many racers immediately switched to automatics.
PC
Old 11-11-2009, 04:09 AM   #227
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Mark J,
Following up on the Pomona, NY Dart. As I said earlier, it was at Dover in late 75'. Painted dark gray, with Pomona Speed Parts lettered on
the front fender (I think). It ran in brackets (no S/S there). Maybe a 11.70 or so, the car was worn-out-a-bit. The owner of the Dart wanted to trade me his car for the 440 Cuda' (photo I sent you). You see why I didn't do it.
Then it disappeared, and Dover closed in May 76'.
4 years later, I'm selling automotive engine rebuilding equipment, and
I end up in Pomona. The owner (Vic) in a 2-bay garage with a small parts store in his office wants to buy tooling for his Winona valve guide/seat machine. One thing leads to another, and there it was, on the side of his garage, the Hemi Dart. Not for Sale, and sitting for almost 4 years, (only occasionally street-raced in Nyack, NY and North Jersey)
machine.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:56 AM   #228
Bucky Hess

Liked 153 Times in 23 Posts

68hemiss Do you have any pictures of Tom Myl cuda Dell sent me 2 Thanks Bucky
Old 11-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #229
Bob Rice

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Bucky,
Email me at bobrice@embarqmail.com. I have a few.
Bob Rice
Bob Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #230
jack arnew

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Around 1973 or 74 I purchased a original factory Dart from a black gentelman . We picked the car in Hamsted New York . The Dart had been in a fire in a local body shop,I think that was the story. Hood and dipped parts were in bad shape but were repairable, and the paint (white) blackened, all in all she was restorable.Brought it back to Baltimore and started to put the body back into original condition, but had an offer to sell (can't remember who),Have no idea where the car is now.It's been a long time ago but I beleave it was a stick , seems to me it had a Dana rear
jack arnew is offline   Reply With Quote