HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 08-21-2014, 10:35 PM   #1
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 98 Times in 59 Posts
Default front anti-sway bar

In the "olden" days it was standard procedure to remove the front mounted anti-roll bar. To my knowledge that practice continues.

My question, have any of you considered re-installing a front anti-roll bar?

Just food for thought.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:15 AM   #2
rick lester

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: front anti-sway bar

In '89, I raced a Buick Regal T-Type, 350/350 combo, had a huge swaybar on the front. Told the old man I was going to take it off. "Won't help you at all, just wasting yor time taking it off." I took it off, and first thing I noted was this sucker is heavy and that equals slower, plus it was up front, not were you want it for a slow car (mid 12s). Second thing I noticed was the handling sucked but the car lifted higher at launch. If I remember correctly, it did pick up about .03 but because of the better weight transfer, I didn.t have to do huge burnout to get tires to hook. So, if a 12 second car is better without a front swaybar, think what your GT S10 will be like without one.
rick lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
Dragsinger
VIP Member

The possibility of driver control improvement was one though I considered. Example, one of the Division four tracks we will attend is the Motorplex in Ennis. At certain times of the year the wind is high in that location. Just beyond the last set of bleachers you can watch cars dart as they encounter the wind blast that was sheltered by the stands.

With a 9 second, small block powered combination handling will be fine, I understand that. I simply am considering the thought. If it held potential for some small handling improvement.

The trigger of this though came as we were tearing down the S - 10 to begin the process of building the super stocker. We removed the front springs then bolted the assembly back together to allow mocking up the ride height I want.

As part of this tear down the factory front anti-sway bar was removed. It gave me the thought, "we now use an rear anti-roll bar, let's consider a front anti-roll bar."

At this time I am considering re-installing the front bar as an experiment. Maybe run it with and without ---

The complete bar and hardware package weights 11 pounds. I do not see that weight nor any resistance created by the bar a problem with this specific combination.

The work continues.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
rick lester

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Larry, I would think that would be more of a spring/shock issue, not a swaybar issue. Would a swaybar help, maybe but not as much as you would hope it would. It is worth trying, at least to say you did try it. Remember, that swaybar may be helping you with side wind downtrack is not helping you off the line at all. A rear sway bar is not used for sway per say, it helps more in keeping the rear suspension square which does help it from swaying going down the track but more for helping with the launch. If you are adiment about a swaybar, call what shock/spring man. you are going to run and ask there opinion/recommendations.
rick lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Rick, makes sense. As the buildup progress all things will be addressed. You can follow the build under "Class Racer Builds"
Also, as you mentioned, my experience with rear anti-roll bars is excellent. They do work well, each car I have installed on saw an improvement.