HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 01-07-2019, 05:04 PM   #1
vic guilmino

Liked 56 Times in 21 Posts
Default make small hot tank

my wife was thrown out a heated pan. so i will make small hot tank, but what chemical sould i use in it
Old 01-07-2019, 05:27 PM   #2
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 177 Times in 110 Posts
Default Re: make small hot tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic guilmino View Post
my wife was thrown out a heated pan. so i will make small hot tank, but what chemical sould i use in it
Moonshine !
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:12 PM   #3
Coleydog

Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts

RedDevil Lye, drain opener. Very caustic so be careful, pore in slowly, it makes its own heat. Once the heat is gone, put a lid on it to seal for next use. Works better if heated. USE RUBBER GLOVES. Will clean and remove anything, rust, paint, grease. There are many different chemicals to use, depending on what you want done. I have large molasses, muriatic acid and electric tanks. Next is the stainless steel tank for the lye. Been Keeping an eye out at the recycle yard. Unbelievable what commercial restaurants throw away, I've found many large stainless buckets, pans for parts washing.
Mike

Last edited by Coleydog; 01-07-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Coleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:59 PM   #4
House of Darts

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts

Heat makes chemistry work harder. Heated tanks are great. Buy your lye from a supplier as opposed to using drain cleaner. Not needing to be listed, don't know why, some lye based drain cleaners use heavy metals for a bigger kick, and are short lived. With a temp of 90+ try the Sam's club HD degreaser. Cheap and concentrated. If you plan on cleaning aluminum, lye and certain degreasers are a no-no.
House of Darts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:47 AM   #5
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

Coleydog got it with the Red Devil lye ….cheap and effective.
I've been using it for years since machine shops have been getting rid of their old caustic hot tanks.
I use a large heavy duty 23 gallon storage tub with a bung installed on the side with an old oil pan heater element I had laying around in it .
I try to keep the temp around 175-80 and I have a tube thru the cover that I can hook up to the air hose to aerate the mix and keep it cleaning.
What ever you use for a container, if it's plastic make sure it will crush and deform , not crack .
Old 01-09-2019, 06:39 PM   #6
outlaw

Liked 58 Times in 33 Posts

Lye to water ratio?
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:51 PM   #7
House of Darts

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts

Call a chemical supplier. Guessing on a concentration is not good. You are talking some real chemistry here. Over concentrated solutions are a pain to remove. Its not just a water rinse. You can force caustic salts into the pore of the metal and it will leach out over time, like into your cooling system or oil. Knowing the capacity of your tank and what you want to accomplish, i.e. degreasing, will allow the supplier to give you the concentrations and other tips. Depending upon how much you have in the tank, you may want a lid and an exhaust fan The warm mist travels thru the shop and contaminates everything Not being an alarmist, but good knowledge and safety goes a long way. Its simple when you get to know the works.SAFETY FIRST!
House of Darts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:28 AM   #8
Coleydog

Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts

All my tanks are outside, covered. My shop is to valuable to lose.
Get online, good help from people on how to set up any type you need, a lot of do's and dont's
Coleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #9
curtis reed

Liked 88 Times in 49 Posts

A good safe biodegradable cleaner is Oakite brand cleaners. We had a hot tank with their cleaner years ago. When we needed to change to fresh chemical we would mix it with soda ash to render it inert. Here is a list I found online of what they offer.

https://www.chemetallna.com/products...eralmaint.aspx
curtis reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #10
kansas stocker

Liked 223 Times in 43 Posts

The oakite products that I have used were all alkaline. I don't think soda ash, also an alkaline, would neutralize them. All I have ever used is the old powder. Probably have something new I'm not aware of.
Pete
kansas stocker is offline   Reply With Quote