HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-01-2023, 12:23 PM   #1
Chipper Chapman

Liked 142 Times in 64 Posts
Default Cobra Jet Blower Question

So a client has bought a Cobra Jet, and since the car has been delivered some questions have come up. It’s a 2008 5.4 SC car. The issue is that the blower part numbers listed are DR3Z-6F006-A which does not even seem to be a good Ford part number, and the blower on the car has part number sticker DR3V-6F066-AB, which coincidentally is what comes up on google searches etc when we search the NHRA listed number. The blower on the car has SVT and 5.8 cast into the housing. Can some of you cobra Jet gurus shed some light on what the devil we have here?
Chipper Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 07-01-2023, 12:31 PM   #2
Brett C
VIP Member

Liked 846 Times in 193 Posts
Default Re: Cobra Jet Blower Question

From my best knowledge, that is the aftermarket blower which is legal. In the HP rating section it would be the higher number as opposed the the factory blower.
Brett C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 02:25 PM   #3
BRETV

Liked 598 Times in 148 Posts

I'm pretty sure those are the factory blowers on the 2013-2014 Shelby GT500's which were 5.8's

Bret Velde
2003 ??/SA

Last edited by BRETV; 07-02-2023 at 05:54 PM.
BRETV is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 07-02-2023, 04:30 AM   #4
kdanner

Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

Yes, it's a 13-14 GT500 blower. The number you see on Ford parts are engineering numbers, not part numbers. DR3Z-6F066-A is the part number.

I think that blower may not be considered aftermarket and still at the lower factored HP. The classification guide seems to indicate the higher HP is for a VMP blower.
Old 07-02-2023, 09:06 AM   #5
Jeff Kempton

Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdanner View Post
Yes, it's a 13-14 GT500 blower. The number you see on Ford parts are engineering numbers, not part numbers. DR3Z-6F066-A is the part number.

I think that blower may not be considered aftermarket and still at the lower factored HP. The classification guide seems to indicate the higher HP is for a VMP blower.
Other than reaching out to NHRA Tech (which is pending), how would a person go about confirming for sure what horsepower rating the DR3Z-6F066-A supercharger carries? It is listed in the NHRA Guide as the "Alternate" supercharger. Would not the "Alternate" supercharger listed be the one that requires the higher rating?

EDIT: I see now that the "&" symbol under the various engine/trans combos refers to "& = VMP #VMPG3R-6H066-AA-23". As a non-CJ expert I did not recognize that as a supercharger model # and it would have been nice to have that info included on the page, and/or the "&" put after "S/SS Factors w/ replacement supercharger". Without that clarity I'm still somewhat unsure where the higher HP rating applies. If someone runs this combo with the DR3Z-6F066-A supercharger and can verify which horsepower rating it techs and races under that would be most helpful, otherwise I guess I'll cross my fingers for a clear answer from NHRA.

Last edited by Jeff Kempton; 07-02-2023 at 01:13 PM.
Jeff Kempton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 01:45 AM   #6
kdanner

Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

Another way to verify would be with Ken, the site owner here. He runs that combo. The Nitro Joe stats show him at 569hp, and in this video you can see he has the VMP blower. Still kind of leaves the question is the GT500 blower also at the same HP as the VMP but I would guess it isn't. He should be able to answer that though.
Old 07-03-2023, 11:32 AM   #7
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Liked 13,198 Times in 1,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper Chapman View Post
So a client has bought a Cobra Jet, and since the car has been delivered some questions have come up. It’s a 2008 5.4 SC car. The issue is that the blower part numbers listed are DR3Z-6F006-A which does not even seem to be a good Ford part number, and the blower on the car has part number sticker DR3V-6F066-AB, which coincidentally is what comes up on google searches etc when we search the NHRA listed number. The blower on the car has SVT and 5.8 cast into the housing. Can some of you cobra Jet gurus shed some light on what the devil we have here?
The supercharger with the embossed 5.8 SVT is legal as a stock replacement. Its a 2.3 Eaton TVS and was sold by Ford Performance. Its no longer available. The VMP blower is a replacement, but it ads another 20hp to the combo.
Ken Miele is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 07-03-2023, 12:10 PM   #8
Jeff Kempton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Miele View Post
The supercharger with the embossed 5.8 SVT is legal as a stock replacement. Its a 2.3 Eaton TVS and was sold by Ford Performance. Its no longer available. The VMP blower is a replacement, but it ads another 20hp to the combo.
Thanks for the input, I was hoping someone that knew this combo well would weigh in.

So, based on this, the originally Ford spec'd Eaton supercharger #42627114 and the alternate supercharger Eaton TVS #DR3Z-6F006-A are considered the same and therefore both carry the 536HP rating, while the VMP #VMPG3R-6H066-AA-23 supercharger is the only one that carries the 569HP rating? (Ken, these ratings are from the NHRA Guide, can you clarify your 20HP difference comment?)

I apologize to everyone if I seem to be beating this subject to death, but we are just trying to ensure that we classify this car correctly for racing in the ACSSA, our local Stock/Super Stock association.
Old 07-03-2023, 01:55 PM   #9
Charles Stewart

Liked 481 Times in 146 Posts

A quick look on classracerinfo.com website from Mr. Dwight Southerland will certainly help you.
Charles Stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 02:35 PM   #10
Jeff Kempton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Stewart View Post
A quick look on classracerinfo.com website from Mr. Dwight Southerland will certainly help you.
I realize that is a useful resource, but it won't open for me. (Flags as malicious and I can't override it)