HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #31
Darrin Christen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Onan info

Where do you guys read these codes? I have a 7000 marquis, I think its a 1999 year model. I have had to replace the fuel pump several times in the last few years. After the original onan pump quit I replaced it with a $50 low pressure pump from the Advanced Auto part because we were at a race when it gave up. The $50 pumps look just like the onan pump, but they don't seem to last very long. Is the Onan pump really worth the $260 they cost?
Old 09-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #32
erkme73

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin Christen View Post
Where do you guys read these codes? I have a 7000 marquis, I think its a 1999 year model. I have had to replace the fuel pump several times in the last few years. After the original onan pump quit I replaced it with a $50 low pressure pump from the Advanced Auto part because we were at a race when it gave up. The $50 pumps look just like the onan pump, but they don't seem to last very long. Is the Onan pump really worth the $260 they cost?
It's the government-mandated ethenol that kills the pumps. I doubt an Onan pump would do any better.

To get the code, press the stop/prime button 3x within 5 seconds. It'll then blink a single digit. Press it one more time, and it'll blink a two-digit code.

A fuel pump problem will generate a generic 36 - which stands for fuel delivery problem. Could be a pump issue, low fuel level, leaking fuel line, gummed carb, or anything else that causes the genny to starve of fuel.

It's probably one of the more common codes.
erkme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:26 AM   #33
Darrin Christen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't have any type of digital readout. Are you saying that the light on the start button will blink a code? Mine has a remote start button with a analog style hour meter.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:44 AM   #34
erkme73

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin Christen View Post
I don't have any type of digital readout. Are you saying that the light on the start button will blink a code? Mine has a remote start button with a analog style hour meter.
Correct. Some remote start switches don't have a light. If that's the case on yours, you'll need to go to the generator itself, and look for the start/stop switch. That one definitely has a light.

In either case, you count the blinks. Remember, the first blinks after pressing the stop button 3x will be either a 1, 2, 3, or 4. But it'll be only a single digit. It'll keep flashing the same digit, until you press stop one more time. Then it'll be flashing two digits... i.e. 3 blinks, pause, 6 blinks = 36.

Happy hunting.
erkme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #35
Darrin Christen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Got it, thanks.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #36
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

A 1999 model is probably the old design. Flathead engine. Does it have a black sheet metal cover? Big square type box? They made a 7000 Marquis back then. The best unit they ever made......Electronic governor, quiet 1800 rpm.....

If it is the old design they did not have the self diagnosing feature of the newer design units.....

Onan parts prices are pretty high and they are owned by Cummins....

I have seen a lot of bad fuel pumps on many different models. I don't doubt the fuel is killing some of them....
Old 09-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #37
Darrin Christen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
A 1999 model is probably the old design. Flathead engine. Does it have a black sheet metal cover? Big square type box? They made a 7000 Marquis back then. The best unit they ever made......Electronic governor, quiet 1800 rpm.....

If it is the old design they did not have the self diagnosing feature of the newer design units.....

Onan parts prices are pretty high and they are owned by Cummins....

I have seen a lot of bad fuel pumps on many different models. I don't doubt the fuel is killing some of them....
Yes Rich, thats the one I have, exactly as you described. I just installed a new fuel pump and a water fuel separator filter. Is there any legit reason to buy the $260 onan pump? There was a decal on the original onan pump that said you must replace with onan pump only. No explanation of why. I thought that maybe it was a flashproofing thing kind of like starters and altenators in the marine industry.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #38
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

No real reason to buy strictly an Onan pump Darren other than using OEM parts and having a good direct replacement fit.

We sell.service and install Onans so that is what we use and install.

Facet makes pumps that will work and so do some other companies.

LOW pressure pumps only.......Or the needle and seat will not hold...

They make about 3-4 lbs max....

Onan is no different than every other company out there. They make $$$ on parts.....

That unit you have is the best one they ever made in my opnion.

Carbon buildup is something they do if used a lot and they do need to be taken apart and thouroughly cleaned once they start to have running problems.....
Old 09-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #39
Darrin Christen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Been there, done that, with the carbon issue. Thanks for the info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
No real reason to buy strictly an Onan pump Darren other than using OEM parts and having a good direct replacement fit.

We sell.service and install Onans so that is what we use and install.

Facet makes pumps that will work and so do some other companies.

LOW pressure pumps only.......Or the needle and seat will not hold...

They make about 3-4 lbs max....

Onan is no different than every other company out there. They make $$$ on parts.....

That unit you have is the best one they ever made in my opnion.

Carbon buildup is something they do if used a lot and they do need to be taken apart and thouroughly cleaned once they start to have running problems.....
Old 09-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #40
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 839 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger View Post
Well Well Well
Spoke too soon, I thought I had it fixed, but now it sets a different code, and still won't run without holding in start button. I now have hertz( 61 while holding button down)). I even have 14-20hz while the motor is being cranked, but I get a code 32. Low hertz while being cranked or something like that.Went ahead and PM'ed it while it was out. Plug, fuel filter, oil etc...I stuck it back in the back of the mini van and I going to take it to the dealer Monday. I checked everything I can think of, Stator/field ohms out (@35) perfect, brushes/rotor are 21 ohms. I have cleaned and tightened grounds and checked pins till I have had enough of it. I even stuck the old controller board back into be sure .. Same 32 code... I'll let you know what they find out.....
Rich,
Took this to 2 different dealers. Both said the Stator was shot and wanted 1300 by one dealer and 2000 by the other. Cummins Bridgeway in Columbus sold us a complete new one for 2550. I guess I have a bunch of spare parts. This one is a model 4.0KY-FA 26100K. It looks identical to me but I'm sure some things are not interchangeable. Thanks for your help getting us through the generator blues.