Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-23-2009, 08:26 PM   #71
69ss/rs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Making Aluminum Heads Legal for all SuperStockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwydendorf View Post
What I should have said was that the aluminum heads should be replaced on an indivudal basis for each engine combo, the way it is now, not to replace the older heads across the board, as was suggested in the title of this post. There should also be more incentive to use the older heads(i.e. more horsepower, maybe more than is in place now) so the racers that choose to use the older heads are not at a disadvantage. I do not feel that making aluminum heads legal will save the racers any money because head porters will still port the new castings thin like the oem castings in a search for even more horsepower and everyone will be back where they started.
Dwydendorf; the new casting have thicker deck surfaces and are made of better material, also they are new, not 30 or 40 years old. There is an incentive to running the older heads; its' called HP . There is HP placed on all motors that have replacement heads. With the newer heads the head porters have more than enough material to work with because the heads are cast with the purpose of being ported. As far as the expense; like I said before the aluminum heads cost more to start with, but you will save money in the long run on repairs and up keep. As I stated I have one of each so believe me when I say I know what the cost of both are.
69ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #72
69ss/rs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treessavoy View Post
Neither Indy nor Edelbrock make a legal set of heads for the big or small Mopars and I looked at the Edelbrock site and they list only THREE sets of NHRA accepted heads: BBF, BBO, and BBP; nothing for Amc and Buick and they list no legal aluminum heads for any of the small blocks.

JimR
Jim, in Edelbrocks' catalog they list part numbers for both small & big block mopar heads. Now as far as being legal, that is up to NHRA; no head is legal till they say so. You will also find the other heads you are looking for in there also.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #73
69ss/rs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Kuehl View Post
Very good post . I agree with you 100% . I really do feel that if a replacement head is avalible in cast iron that should be good enough . But not every combination has a cast iron head avaliable . If there are no iron head's avalible then Aluminum would be ok as long as the valve size's are stock the combustion chamber meet's spec's and the In and Ex port's meet spec's . The head porter's are still going to be taking it to the limit that is part of the game . We are all trying to find a way to go faster that is part of the thrill of doing what we do .
Al
Al, I should have known there was a reason we are getting all this rain at the Dutch classics, when I saw you say that aluminum would be OK. If you are familiar with what NHRA did with the big block chevy head, then you know what I mean when I say that you can make one head fit multiple applications, without getting too far from the original piece. Like I said before, the main reason that I am pushing the aluminum heads is that most of the approved replacement heads now are aluminum. Also it would make for a more level playing field when NHRA starts to apply HP and weight adjustments. Another 10 or so posts and I will have you. HA! HA!
Old 10-24-2009, 12:29 AM   #74
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ss/rs View Post
Jim, in Edelbrocks' catalog they list part numbers for both small & big block mopar heads. Now as far as being legal, that is up to NHRA; no head is legal till they say so. You will also find the other heads you are looking for in there also.
The Edelbrock Mopar heads are no where close to legal. The valves are too big, the ports are too, and the runners are too big....the same can be said of the Indy heads. To be legal for big blocks they would have to produce at least 6 different big block heads.

JimR
Old 10-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #75
RJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treessavoy View Post
The Edelbrock Mopar heads are no where close to legal. The valves are too big, the ports are too, and the runners are too big....the same can be said of the Indy heads. To be legal for big blocks they would have to produce at least 6 different big block heads.

JimR
Port size is not an issue, any competitive super stock head has the port floors brazed or epoxied anyway. You start by raising the port roofs as far as you dare, and fill in the floors to meet c.c. specs. and no, I don't race a max wedge (I have an LS1) as was alluded to before, I just think it's sad that the neat max wedge super stocks were a dime a dozen at one time, and there is only 1 that I know of running as of this year.
RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #76
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Making Aluminum Heads Legal for all SuperStockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Kuehl View Post
I alway's liked the Max Wedge car' s . I thought Stacy McCarthy said that Mopar had the 518M as a replacement head . They were just really cool car's .
Al
The correct 518M head is almost impossable to find now. Not all of them came with the correct valve size either from MoPar. I went thru 3 sets to find 1 pair that was correct. 2,14 intake size is a little to large if you want to go thu teardown. Mopar dosent care about anything except the SS/AH Hemis and the new "Paper Cars".
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:58 PM   #77
Lynn A McCarty

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
The correct 518M head is almost impossable to find now. Not all of them came with the correct valve size either from MoPar. I went thru 3 sets to find 1 pair that was correct. 2,14 intake size is a little to large if you want to go thu teardown. Mopar dosent care about anything except the SS/AH Hemis and the new "Paper Cars".
Actually Terry,

They made two versions. One was a stock replacement with the 2.08 valve the other was with the 2.14 like an upgrade head. We ordered a set from Chrysler and got them straight away. This was about a year ago. They were 100% better for porting than the stock castings. They flow 30 more cfm with a smaller valve than my Hi-Po Pontiac heads or Stacy's 428 heads. Of course they got good cc numbers from the NHRA cc fairy and we didnt.

This puppy made huge power, but Grand-Pa Ron is hugely scared of it. He has gone from 10.70 in the spring to 10.10 last weekend. About a 1.45 60 foot. Come on Grandpa put your foot into it!

Last edited by Lynn A McCarty; 10-24-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Lynn A McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #78
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn A McCarty View Post
Actually Terry,

They made two versions. One was a stock replacement with the 2.08 valve the other was with the 2.14 like an upgrade head. We ordered a set from Chrysler and got them straight away. This was about a year ago. They were 100% better for porting than the stock castings. They flow 30 more cfm with a smaller valve than my Hi-Po Pontiac heads or Stacy's 428 heads. Of course they got good cc numbers from the NHRA cc fairy and we didnt.

This puppy made huge power, but Grand-Pa Ron is hugely scared of it. He has gone from 10.70 in the spring to 10.10 last weekend. About a 1.45 60 foot. Come on Grandpa put your foot into it!
The ones we had came in the box and all had the same part numbers on the box. We had to check them to see which were 2,14 and which were 2.08. Have you tried to get them lately?
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:33 PM   #79
dragst racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have read this and have a question, the guy that started this do you run super stock?
dragst racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:50 AM   #80
69ss/rs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragst racer View Post
I have read this and have a question, the guy that started this do you run super stock?
Did you miss the post where I said that I have two motors one aluminum and one iron. Or the post where I said how much money I had spent on getting heads fixed. If I didn't have a SuperStocker than this subject wouldn't be me issue.