HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
69ss/rs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Making Aluminum Heads Legal for all SuperStockers

Why not make aluminum heads legal in all SuperStock classes? I just think that this would be easier for all parties involved. This would be simplier for NHRA to tech, along with racers new heads to work with; instead of 30&40 year old stiff to deal with. You guys tell me (Yes or No)?
69ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
Mopar Steve

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Making Aluminum Heads Legal for all SuperStockers

Cost. Not everyone can afford to go to the aluminum heads. Those that would have the aluminum would be at a large advantage over those that didn't. There are a variety of technical factors that I really don't even feel like wasting the time to type out.

If you want to run aluminum heads though, switch to a GT class.
Mopar Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Cool Re: Making Aluminum Heads Legal for all SuperStockers

I dont think cost comes into play in this senario when one is talking about $5000 to around $7000 S/S heads. Maybe someone like Dave Layer could shed some light on this? One.....the value of iron heads from collector whores have driven the cost of good cores to work with out of sight for older muscle cars IF you can find them. The labor to port, weld, or repair iron heads would off set any lower cost to start with. I know some are at a disadvantage because an alum head is not avaliable (NHRA legal replacement) compared to the Chevy, and Ford stuff. I know of some stocker guys who would "Kill" for an Alum. replacement head so they could keep up with the competition due to the fact that the AHFS has not done its job. Anyone else??
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

To be fair someone would then have to make an exact set of heads for every type of engine in competition.....who's going to do it and who's going to pay for it?

At this point it would only benefit Chevy's and Ford's as they have already gotten the HRA's to accept aftermarket heads, what about the Mopars, Ramblers, Olds, etc?

Just doesn't seem feasible.

JimR
Old 10-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Nope, Terry; you said it a lot better than I was gonna... Thanks.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:57 AM   #6
CrateCamaro

Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts

I dont see why not. Hit it with some HP untill someone like Edelbrock has every brand covered (they probably already do). Finding cores is almost next to impossible and you need 3 sets to make one good set. It would definitly make repair easier and also would be cheaper to weld up the exaust/intake ports rather than epoxy in the intake (and hope it stays there) and brass in the exaust. Super stock heads are like your mothers 50 years old china...touch it the wrong way and its in 40 pieces...break it and its non fixable. But then again all the 'old school' super stock guys would never go for this even though it would modernise the class and make it way more affordable for yongsters to race in an "entry level" class.

PS...isnt there a cast iron Dart head that is accepted as a replacement casting for SBC super stock already?
CrateCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:22 AM   #7
Charley Downing

Liked 625 Times in 86 Posts

Hell why we are at it lets give everyone a Holley 1150. You people are just flat stupid (***** clowns and Jackoffs apply in this case). Sorry the truth needs to be told sometimes. If you want all that kind of crap on you make believe STK or SS car run IHRA crate motor of some IHRA alphabet class.

Last edited by Charley Downing; 10-07-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Charley Downing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #8
69ss/rs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mopar Steve; if you run Super Stock, than you would know that the cost isn't that high; as. What did your last set of iron heads cost you? Here is and example; I paid 300.00 for a pair of cores, then 5500 to have them done, not including hardware. I'll leave the cost of hardware out,because iron or steel the cost is the same. The heads were killer, but after three seasons, a water leak developed on one of the exhaust ports. I talked to the Head porter, and he said he could fit it, sent the heads back; he calls me and says won't cost more than 2500 to fix and redo intake ports and touch them up. Send him the 2500.00, calls me back two weeks later an said that he made a mistake; that it is going to cost 4100.00. Get the heads back and find hair line cracks running from 4 of the intake valves to the exhaust valves. Call him and he says that happened when they put in the seats, but they where pressure checked and don't leak. Put the heads on the motor and go to a race, on first pass car runs like sh-t , in shut down area I get out and look to what happen; guess what is running out of the header. So you tell me where is there a cost savings in theiron head over the aluminum. The aluminum heads can be repaired at a much cheaper cost than the iron heads; therefore they should last longer and the overall cost is cheaper.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:23 AM   #9
69ss/rs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

X-TECH MAN take a look in the edelbrock makes aluminum heads for almost every make AMC,BUICK,MOPAR, etc. NHRA has already approved heads from edelbrock now, so approving the rest wouldn't be that hard.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:25 AM   #10
Bob Pagano
VIP Member

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Cool Re: Making Aluminum Heads Legal for all SuperStockers

Why not just call SS MODIFIED PRODUCTION and nhra only has to pump ! Oh I forgot we all ready did that.