HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-13-2015, 09:42 PM   #1
SmBlkFord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Mph = Win ?

Seems to be the thing with the slower index classes S/ST , S/SG , that the faster car takes the win lights. Been hearing that 85% of the faster cars are winning considering they cut a better or similar light . Any real truth to this ???? Don`t see it so much with S/Comp as with the slower classes.
SmBlkFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:02 AM   #2
J&S Racing

Liked 288 Times in 78 Posts
Default Re: Mph = Win ?

The higher mph car will be on the stop longer, now he is chasing. It's much easier to judge you opponent and the stripe when it's all in front of you rather than having to look over your shoulder.
J&S Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:47 AM   #3
SmBlkFord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know that's the case just really wanted to know if anybody had run sheets ect. To prove it ? I do not have enough information in my program to see it.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:35 AM   #4
MadMax404

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You won't have accurate data from any run sheets. It all depends on the driver, and the statistics on median MPH in the class.

I would bet the median MPH now for SST is 140+. Thus your data will be skewed because there are less low MPH cars in the class, thus less winners.

I won the division 4 title going on average 118-123mph in 2011. I go on average 128-132 now. I drive better being chased than chasing because that is what I am used too. To me its not easier to judge chasing someone, it's easier to see, but calculating the closing distance is easier for me while watching the other car come up on me than me come up on another car.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:40 AM   #5
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

Remember the slower car always has the first opportunity to take the stripe, when I ran in hot rod @ 125 mph I enjoyed being the slower car always felt I had the advantage. All in how you look at it I guess.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:13 PM   #6
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't have the percentages for you but driving a faster car is a definite advantage at the finish line as said before you always have your opponent in front of you and you can see and judge the closing rate.
However in the 28 year history of the Midwest Super comp Series the same 155MPH (slow) Small block super comp dragster has won 5 championships (3 with original owner& 2 in a row for the current owner)
So being the fast guy might be overrated.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:24 PM   #7
SmBlkFord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Baer View Post
I don't have the percentages for you but driving a faster car is a definite advantage at the finish line as said before you always have your opponent in front of you and you can see and judge the closing rate.
However in the 28 year history of the Midwest Super comp Series the same 155MPH (slow) Small block super comp dragster has won 5 championships (3 with original owner& 2 in a row for the current owner)
So being the fast guy might be overrated.
That's impressive,I have seen guys run 180mph in that class. its hard to judge the stripe when you are 30mph faster then your opponent.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:23 AM   #8
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

MPH has no effect on win or loosing. Drag racing is a game of numbers. If you have a better light and run closer to the number in index or handicap racing you will be the winner no matter which car has the bigger MPH.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:40 PM   #9
Maverick

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

The hi mph guy wil lag behind till the finish line. And then before he gets there he will know if, he can catch him and take the stripe, or not catch him and get on the binders to make sure he doesn't break out more. I believe the hi mph cars are more accurate time wise, in that the micro processor throttle controls are fine tuning tools that can be made at the last second, when they are sitting in the staging area and a weather update come across there pager for a new TS setting. Plus times are more accurate when you are not covering distance as fast as in the cruise portion of the run. Yeah slow guys can do it, but if you are a .01 over and they put a wheel on you, you better be on your game. Only two guys I know who have won division or national championships would be Northrop, and Phillips that are not hi mph guys. I am probably wrong about some of this. Go to the track and watch it on the big end, it becomes pretty clear
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:46 PM   #10
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Maverick
Brings up a good point, in one instance we were on a very poor racetrack and the only guy who could hit the index was the 180 MPH guy.
everyone else was sliping spinning and sliding all over the place. My first thought was that since he had more power than any of us, perhaps he had a traction control device.But then we made a pass along side of him and I saw his incremental times ,all of them to the 1/8 mile especially the 60' time were way slower than anyone else. Resultantly he didn't spin anywhere and was capable of making up the time in the last half of the track and was more consistent.