HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 11-30-2017, 12:45 PM   #21
Leon Rennebaum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Interesting or Funny Car Stories

Worked at a service station while going to college. We all had souped up street cars and a couple of drag cars. One weekend home from school, I was tasked to put together a 283 street engine for a parts getting 64 El Camino. Returned the following weekend to screaming and yelling that I had screwed up the engine because it smoked when warmed up. Fired up the car and waited for the smoke – strange thing was that it didn’t smell like burnt oil, it actually smelled like a campfire! Popped the hood and looked over the engine. It seems they didn’t have a stainless steel type gasket for the exhaust heated quadrajet manifold and had, instead, used a piece of plywood for a carb spacer. The wood was actually burning producing the charcoal smelling smoke! My engine assembly prowess was never questioned again!
Leon Rennebaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:54 PM   #22
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Back in 1997 we spent half the season fighting a bad miss around 6,000 RPM. It would only do it under load, so every week we'd change one thing and drive to the track, only to discover we hadn't fixed it. It was getting expensive and we were discouraged.

A racing friend lived in a rural area and suggested we bring the car out to his place where we could change things and make a blast down the road. We had done that a few times and were working in the driveway when the police showed up.

The officer walked up and asked what we were doing. Then he smiled and said, "We got a call that there was a red Chevelle tearing up and down the road, but this is a Nova so it must have been someone else."

For the record, the problem was a fluttering power valve. We had changed cams in the offseason, and the new one didn't make enough vacuum to hold the 6.5" PV open. Haven't run a power valve since.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:32 PM   #23
Todd Gross

Liked 52 Times in 23 Posts

Back in the middle 70's, just out of school, I was working at a Dodge Dealership. One Saturday I was doing an oil change on one of regular customers' Monaco. She was a 30 something attractive professional woman ( as in executive type...not hooker). While I had her car on the rack she came up and asked me " will you stick your finger in my rear end to see if I have enough grease". I had no words. I paused and then went and pulled the plug from the diff cover and checked. I figured if I had the meaning wrong she would have let me know.

Last edited by Todd Gross; 11-30-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Todd Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:54 PM   #24
Ron Ortiz

Liked 251 Times in 84 Posts

Back in 1996 when I got married to Cindy, I had noticed a rat in the race car that was parked under the house in a huge garage. I couldn't get the damn thing out so she suggested that I put her cat in the garage to get the rodent. I didn't want to do that fearing that the cat would tear up the inside of the race car, but did it anyway. Several day later while working in the yard the cat got spooked by something and burst out running and crossed the road, where a car came by and hit it, and killed the cat right in front of one of Cindy's daughters. It was a tragedy for her.

About two weeks later I was making my first time trial for a divisional race in Orlando. I reached over and grabbed my helmet from the floorboard and put it on. POW, what was that smell inside my helmet as I ripped it off my head. looked inside and nothing, smelled it again and realized that it was cat spray, I was so pissed off, jumped out of the car hollering "I want to kill the that freaking cat...... Oh I can't, it is already dead"

At least the rat was gone.

Ron Ortiz
U/SA pissed off, not on
Old 12-01-2017, 05:41 AM   #25
D. Hake 4459

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Back in about 2005 my buddy had a 1966 Mustang and we had done a lot of work on it. Full tube chassis, 317ci small block with a Jerico with a soft lok clutch. I went racing with him a lot. One day we were at a small 1/8 mile track south of Sallisaw, Oklahoma and had to do a clutch adjustment so he pulled the car up the ramps on his open trailer and put the front tires on the end of the dovetail so I could get under it. We.chocked the back tires with some 4x4's I think. My buddy is about 6'5" and not skinny. He's on the trailer leaning over the front of the car turning the crankshaft to the next spot so I can adjust the next spring and I guess he leaning pretty hard on the car because I saw the car start moving and it was getting ready to come down the ramps so I got ahold of whatever I could and was trying to hold it . I was hoping that someone would put the wood back behind the tire or hold the car so I could get out from under it. About then someone grabbed my ankles and pulled me out then the car came down the ramps. When I stood up I shook the guys hand and thanked him, then I said "I finally figured out what Chevy guys are good for" and he had a perplexed look on his face then I said " to save Ford guys from getting run over by Mustangs" then we all started laughing. I'm sure glad he was there.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:08 AM   #26
goinbroke2

Liked 169 Times in 55 Posts

Had a 73 mustang with a 351C 4spd and was street racing it. We raced for $20 a pop (was a lot of money then!) I beat a couple cars and always juuuust beat them at the end then would say "man you almost had me there, double or nothing? Then we'd turn around and race back. Guy has a 428 Pontiac in a catalina and wants to race. We're on an old two lane chip seal road with 1/4 (or so) marked off that we're racing on. I say or so because everybody raced to the tree line anyway which was about a mile away or more. Made the run and just pulled around him at the 1/4 but then we both stayed in it, side by side to the tree line. Stopped turned around and was ready to go back and I see he's under the car. Problems? Nope, just the lock wire came a bit loose on the tie rod end.....pardon? The tie rod end was so bad he would have to continually re tighten the lockwire holding it together! That was the last street race I ever had, I realised if I go to a track then the other cars HAVE to be tech'd but not on the street. We were going 130mph side by side on a two lane ****ty country road and his tierod was tied in with lock wire!
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:31 AM   #27
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 98 Times in 59 Posts

Experimental Carburetors and other performance gains*
It all began 1n 1951 with Granny’s flat head 6 Plymouth, but first some introduction about Granny. During WWII Granny worked in an electric motor rewinding shop. In those days America was strongly united. The Country rallied to the cause during those hard days of WWII, everyone helping, everyone doing something positive for the war effort.
That is how it was for Granny. She was a tough Pioneer woman, a patriot through and through.
From time to time at the electric motor shop the Government Inspector randomly checked parts and he noticed that Granny’s rewound motors always tested perfectly. Those motors ran strong, ran cool, and used less amperage to do the job. Out of respect for Government Secrecy and Secrecy of the war effort, the inspector never asked Granny how she wound those high performance motors.
After the war, it took a few years for the locals to transition from wartime to peacetime but by spring of 1951 Granny was completely back to a normal, domesticated life. Or at least, we thought.
I can only now tell this story because the info has just recently been declassified.
Once the WWII Peace Treaty was signed the Federal Electric Motor Inspector contacted Granny. It was no surprise to Granny that he called, and no surprise to the inspector that Granny would share her high performance secrets with the correct partner. Granny was a savvy businessperson so she already had a plan in mind to market her electrical skills.
You may recall hearing stories about how Hot Rodding really caught on all over the country after WWII. One reason for that was the trustworthy bonds and friendships that were established during the war. That is the story of Granny and the inspector. Granny continued secretly developing innovative products, the inspector began working as a Chrysler Fuel Systems engineer, specifically working to produce a high performance, high fuel mileage carburetor.
After a few months work in the Chrysler Fuel Systems Lab he remembered the electric motor performance that had so impressed him and he sent a letter to Granny. In the letter he offered Granny a consulting job with Chrysler.
The rest they say is history! Granny and The Inspector teamed up, used the best ideas of Carburetion and Electronics to design the first 100 MPG “ElectraGran” Fuel Metering System. Granny ran the original design on her 1951 Plymouth.
The performance of her Plymouth was legendary. I remember us in her kitchen having Radio Dinners, (before the days of T V ) listening to commercial after commercial of Companies bragging of that systems fuel savings. One Guy said he was making a living from the gas he was draining out of his car after installing an “ElectraGran” system.
It was good while it lasted, then one day President Eisenhower called Granny. She was on a Bus that afternoon to Washington. She returned two weeks later with a suite case full of $1,000 bills. Deal is, President Eisenhower explained to Granny how her “ElectraGran” systems would ruin the American Economy.
Just like that, Granny retired to piddling in the garden. She was always singing and smiling. We found out later that suite case of $1,000 bills was just what she brought home for spending money; the remaining payment was in Gold bars in Fort Knox.
And to this day you can drive to the South Side of Derrick Texas and find “Granny Retirement Acres” “Granny Lake” “Granny High School” just to name a few.
At the time of her death, the Gold Fortune that had stored at Ft Knox was transferred to the US Treasury.
My Granny, a patriot to the end.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:27 PM   #28
goinbroke2

Liked 169 Times in 55 Posts

Way to go Larry....ain't nobody topping that.....lol.
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #29
Travis Miller

Liked 275 Times in 25 Posts

One afternoon many many years ago I was showing a friend how good my car ran. I blasted it down a residential side street. Sitting in the alley near the end of the block sat a cop who had witnessed my run. He hit his red lights and flagged me into the gas station on the corner. When he started writing me the ticket, he told me it was going to cost me 6 points against my license. I asked why 6 points? He said 3 points for speeding and 3 points for squealing tires because I got rubber when I hit 2nd gear. I told him okay on the speeding but the squealing tires did not happen. I said the car had an automatic transmission and what he heard was the power steering belt squealing. In reality the trans had a shift kit and did squeal tires when it shifted but the cop bought the story about the power steering belt and only wrote me a ticket for speeding.
Travis Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:13 AM   #30
Bob Don
VIP Member

Liked 778 Times in 175 Posts

Back in the day, a bunch of us helped a friend install a Moroso 7 quart pan in his '66 390 Fairlane GT. It was a pain in the *** but eventually we got it done. We lowered the car and my buddy put in 7 quarts of oil and we fired it up. No oil pressure. None. We were checking everything for a possible cause and scratching our heads. We decided to look underneath and raised the lift back up. We found the cause. There were 7 quarts of fresh oil on the garage floor. My buddy forgot the drain plug!

Last edited by Bob Don; 12-08-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Bob Don is offline   Reply With Quote