Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-20-2020, 12:51 PM   #81
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts
Default Re: What Race Oil do you trust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM5595 View Post
So what is it about break in oil that is bad to use full time? What was the cause for the bearings going away? If the break in oil is better for initial run in how can it be worse for normal operation? This makes no sense to me.
Seen 3 engines damaged due to extended use of break-in oil. One Comp Eliminator engine, 1 Super Stock engine and 1 bracket racing turbo engine.

The formulations are completely different with a specific intent. One of my friends who ran a NASCAR shop, was a neighbor to Joe Gibbs when he developed his line of break in and racing oils. He witnessed the development of the different oils and each oil has an intended expected outcome. As a matter of fact, those oils were a special formulation created for Joe Gibbs by Lubrizol.

These two articles go more in depth of the differences and the reason for break in, street and racing oils.

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/201...s%20of%20ZDDP.

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/202...t-vs-race-oil/
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:38 PM   #82
e vassar

Liked 238 Times in 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fazio View Post
How about when you have Sherman or Smith "hydraulic" roller lifters? Can thinner oils be counterproductive?
All I can tell you is back when we had hydraulics in the LT1 car we were using Lucas 10-30 full synthetic race oil. Decided to try RP 5-30 and twice a couple rockers came loose. Went back to the Lucas 10-30 problem went away.
e vassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:27 PM   #83
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,624 Times in 1,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM5595 View Post
So what is it about break in oil that is bad to use full time? What was the cause for the bearings going away? If the break in oil is better for initial run in how can it be worse for normal operation? This makes no sense to me.
In the REAL world, there are NUMEROUS superstock cars in the D3 area that run COMP CAMS 10-30 break in oil......FULL TIME. I am going to wait till after the HOLIDAYS to inform them that they are all just begging for trouble....LOL !!!!!
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-23-2020, 12:38 AM   #84
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
In the REAL world, there are NUMEROUS superstock cars in the D3 area that run COMP CAMS 10-30 break in oil......FULL TIME. I am going to wait till after the HOLIDAYS to inform them that they are all just begging for trouble....LOL !!!!!
Well...like everything, it is a choice.

First, break in oil was designed to increase the friction of the piston rings to help them wear-in and seal in the cylinder and includes a high amount of Zinc and Moly to assist with breaking in the camshaft and lifters.

Break in oils are mineral and not synthetic and do not have modifiers to reduce the friction. After the engine seals, there is no need for it and its continued use, keeps doing what the break in oil was designed to do, a controlled wear.

On the other hand, racing oils, both mineral and synthetic, contain friction modifiers to reduce friction and reduce wear. As I said earlier, it up to the engine builder or racer on what they want to use.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote