HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 06-20-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
onebad98z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default sbc questions

I took a year off from drag racing and am running a oval track car, the motor rules are similar to stock eliminator , and im looking for suggestions or secrets anyone would want to share , we are running a 355 with 041 heads 305 aluminum intake 9.5:1 compression cast manifolds and a .410 lift rule cam with 230is@.050 duration. and a quadrajet, ive been told that there is one quadrajet base gasket that out performs alll the rest, but i cant even remember what kind it was. we are turning the motor about 6100rpm

any ideas someone might have would be very helpful, i figure if someone would know its the stock eliminator guys..

Later,
Greg

onebad98z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
Bob Berleen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default more info

what is the cars weight?
what rear gear ? rear tire dia.?
what is the min. cc allowed for the head?
rpm range ( min- max ) ?
ET 691Q
Bob Berleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:22 PM   #3
BillK

Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts

Greg,
With the 305 intake and that small cam, I dont think the Q-jet is your limiting factor, almost any Q-jet should be ok.

What I have been seeing with the dirt track guys that I do work for is that although a strong engine is important, the ones that are winning pretty regularly concentrate more on chassis setup and driving. A few years ago we built an engine for one guy in a similar class to yours. He ran it for almost 4 seasons without even a freshen up and had a few wins, top ten in points every year, etc. The engine was probably the only completely legal one at the track, but this guy was anal about keeping records and getting the car set up properly for each race. He was also crazy about maintainance .... every Thursday night he would have the car on jackstands at his garage going over every nut and bolt, checking the valves, checking timing etc. He very rarely had a DNF because of mechanical problems.

Basically, concentrate on the car and dont worry too much about getting every ounce of power from the engine, just make it reliable.

Just my observations,

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
BillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:46 AM   #4
onebad98z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: sbc questions

Bill, Thankyou for the reply. We too built a very mild motor with being legal as the main focus. We have a very competitive motor, and we are working on the chassis setup as we speak. We are bouncing around ideas for a new motor for next season and im trying to get some ideas for the combo, the rules give use a 150lb weight break for a 318 or less cubes and we are thinkiing of building a 307, im just not sure if the lost of 43ci justifies a 150 drop in weight. I love to browse the posts here because of the wealth of knowledge dealing with going fast with stock parts.. i forgot to mention we are limited to cast exhaust manifolds and a single 2" exhaust, which is partly why i thought the smaller cube motor might perform as well...

Once again thanks for the input

Greg
Old 07-21-2007, 01:55 AM   #5
Tand E racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: sbc questions

Gasket is a victor reinz # G26717
Tand E racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
onebad98z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: sbc questions

Thanks T&E ill look into it, im doubting ill ever see a difference but every little bit helps right?