HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 09-20-2018, 10:26 AM   #21
House of Darts

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Default Re: Electrolysis in aluminum radiator - Help

Could there be an iron bolt passing through the aluminum head into a water jacket? What are the chances of aluminum shavings stuck in the iron block or iron shavings in the head? If you are developing distinct issues of electrolysis in such a short period of time, you have a chemical reaction taking place. Water wetter is very corrosive on the base side of the PH scale. Flush everything internally with distilled water. We are talking 25-40 gallons. Drain the water including everything in the block and add Evapo Rust. Let it sit for 3 hours. Drain and use a filter for the water. If the water has turned black, black/green you have a fair amount of rust in your system. Strain the Evapo and let it sit again, probably 1-2 hours and check the color. If you to keep doing this, you will need to use fresh Evapo Rust until the system is clean. Not sure about the mineral content of your local water and that's even if its municipal water. Upon resolving this issue just use distilled water with a very small amount of anti freeze.The bracket that supports to alternators is probably attached to the aluminum head and the iron block. That's grounding. The alternator can also be leaking and that can travel trough the same route. I think there is a test kit to trace if combustion is leaking into the cooling system. Depending what you use for fuel, even a fuel additive, those compounds, raw or burned, can be leaking into the cooling system and be adding to or be the problem. While the car sits in your shop, ground both heads, block, chassis and body to a in the ground ground. Eliminate every possible action and work from there.
House of Darts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:41 PM   #22
cad

Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney Kelley View Post
Mark you said you've raced the S-10 all season and within the last two weeks this problem has come up. In the last 3-4 weeks have you changed anything on the car?

Kenney Kelley
Nothing changed....we spent the last 3 weeks putting the camaro back together for my son to race at ET Finals...

Last edited by cad; 09-20-2018 at 02:04 PM.
cad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:53 PM   #23
cad

Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts

We are going to get back on it tonight. I will post back on findings and the solution.
Very possible that the mini powermaster alternator, which was new this year, is bad.
I will also swap in a spare Red Top battery.... yes, it has voltage while the battery is completely removed from the truck.
I am definitely going to be flushing the system...I have to pull the radiator to get all of the water out, as the drain and lower hose are not in the very bottom (Griffin radiator). Ive got petcocks in the block, so that is the easy part.

Thanks,
Clark
cad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:43 AM   #24

Liked 117 Times in 50 Posts

If you have voltage when the battery is disconnected or removed, then the alternator is not the cause of that.
6130 is offline   Reply With Quote