Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #51
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,594 Times in 1,284 Posts
Default Re: Racer Self-Certification Tech Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Beach View Post
Not all racers have internet access, what are they supposed to do? Just asking for a friend.
Wondering the same thing Chuck, , internet access at bowling green can be spotty...if we have to retrieve our time slips on a phone app it could be a problem.....
MR DERBY CITY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:54 PM   #52
RPM5595

Liked 32 Times in 14 Posts

Is this anything like self identifying? In that case I declare myself the winner of the season. One paycheck will be fine.
RPM5595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:04 PM   #53
G Schenck

Liked 81 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
Wondering the same thing Chuck, , internet access at bowling green can be spotty...if we have to retrieve our time slips on a phone app it could be a problem.....
They could print out the incrementals like comp at the end of the session and post it on the trailer.

Greg
G Schenck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:16 AM   #54
RJ Sledge

Liked 247 Times in 78 Posts

There are quite a few real good ideas being posted, Probably won’t happen......unfortunately they make too much sense.

Basically it’s all about the Liability involved.

Hoping for a quick conclusion to this, but it’s only going to change if NHRA and Tracks get together with racers and sponsors and make some common sense changes and plans.

RJ

Last edited by RJ Sledge; 06-04-2020 at 10:43 AM.
RJ Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 06-04-2020, 10:10 AM   #55
e vassar

Liked 238 Times in 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub464Q View Post
Tulsa has a timeslip App they are using. Not sure about Atlanta. And...dont forget, that NHRA has had divisional live timing for a few years now (although spotty at times). Could always find your timeslip there as well.

I know in Tulsa, there will not be timeslips.

I have advocated for years that Compulink runs on MS-DOS system (dont get me started)...but it is 2020. How could we not have a system capable of programming a phone number to the car number entered, and you get a text of your timeslip automatically sent to your phone when you go through the finish line? I am not a program person, but this seems doable with todays technology.
I asked the same question many years ago. I wanted a windows based program so i could have several windows running at the same time. TT, PRO,SPRO, etc we could just pull up that window when we changed classes.
I was told windows is way to vulnerable to virus,s nobody writes a virus targeting doss and windows requires to many re starts .
I know compulink runs on doss,but I believe accutime runs on windows
e vassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:45 PM   #56
Dan Bennett

Liked 352 Times in 77 Posts

It's been a long time since I've seen a timing system boot, but Bob was using something I'd never seen - Concurrent DOS. That was constant for many years and still may be.

Back then, there were varieties - MS-DOS, IBM-DOS, etc. I remember I had to ask some of the REAL veterans about it even back then. A couple of them remembered it from the very early days of PC operating systems.

It's been a while so I don't remember if there were any differences other than who had the rights to sell each version, but I vaguely remember asking him about it and seem to remember it could do some things he needed that the other ones couldn't.
Dan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:23 PM   #57
Stan Weiss

Liked 545 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bennett View Post
It's been a long time since I've seen a timing system boot, but Bob was using something I'd never seen - Concurrent DOS. That was constant for many years and still may be.

Back then, there were varieties - MS-DOS, IBM-DOS, etc. I remember I had to ask some of the REAL veterans about it even back then. A couple of them remembered it from the very early days of PC operating systems.

It's been a while so I don't remember if there were any differences other than who had the rights to sell each version, but I vaguely remember asking him about it and seem to remember it could do some things he needed that the other ones couldn't.

Would you know if the software has its roots before DOS? Maybe CPM?

Stan
Stan Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:19 PM   #58
BILL TAYLOR

Liked 186 Times in 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Stout View Post
Racers cheat?
I think it was either Bill Jenkins or maybe Smokey Yunick that said it's only cheatin' if you get caught!
BILL TAYLOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 06-07-2020, 04:59 PM   #59
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,594 Times in 1,284 Posts

Quote:
For Pete’s sake, put 10 timeslips on 10 separate clipboards on a table..., allow the racers to pick up their time slip ,ONE AT A TIME...wearing a mask....with social distancing of course...I PROMISE you I will use hand sanitizer after I pick up my slip...Has everyone LOST their freakin mind ????? Hey NHRA, I can’t find the ONLINE link for flipping a COIN in the staging lanes ???....
Nice to know the INSANITY subsided at the Atlanta points meet. Timeslips picked up by racers after their run, fuel check as normal and HEAVEN FORBID actual coin flipping onsite in the staging lanes. Thanks D2 for allowing us to return to normalcy...WELL DONE !!!!
MR DERBY CITY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:25 PM   #60
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Nice to know the INSANITY subsided at the Atlanta points meet. Timeslips picked up by racers after their run, fuel check as normal and HEAVEN FORBID actual coin flipping onsite in the staging lanes. Thanks D2 for allowing us to return to normalcy...WELL DONE !!!!
Mighty Quinn, You know there's a few guys here that are gonna hate reading this. ;-)

Come on without ..Come on within..